Spin-a-split wiring!

Verne Andru

• Members

This is the {censored}:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_3w_2sas

This one is for a 2 bucker/2 vol/2 tone guitar. You run a lead from your 4 conductor pickup cable to the empty lug on the corresponding tone pot.

With the tone pot wide open, the pickup runs as a single coil. Roll it down to around 80% and you're back to humbucker and the remainder adds bass.

With a bit more work you can change the wiring on one of the buckers so when both pickups are in single-coil the humbuck.

Cheapest wiring mod on the planet and it adds so much flexibility and tonal options it should be illegal!

• Members

FWIW, I had a dial-a-split on my hhh strat at one point. I ended up not using it because what I found was I either wanted it split, or not - so I put in a push/pull switch.

tried it and did NOT find it variable like turning down the volume on one coil, but rather it just jumped from split/not split at a certain point

• Members

I guess YMMV. I did it to my Ric 650 and it's great. I also put in a blend pot and master volume. I get a nice SC chime [i did it so the SC's humbuck] and can dial them back around 10% to get enough humbucking that I can use the blend pot to favor either pup and still keep the SC hum at bay.

And, yes, I got it from a guy on the Ric forum who says he got it from a Peavey T-60.

• Members

That's cool, but I can't go without a tone control too.

The tone control still works but only after you've dialed down into humbucker mode. When in SC I use my blend pot to dial in neck or bridge to darken/brighten so it has the same general effect as a tone control.

• Members

I agree that sacrificing your tone control sucks, as they can come in handy, but ever since I found this schematic on the web I have wanted to try it out... I just don't have a good candidate for the job right now. Between the two splits and the two volumes, you are going to have a lot of tonal options, that's for sure.

• Members

My apologies - I didn't look that closely at the SD wiring. Look at this one

2h_2v_2t_3w.jpg

That's how my Ric was wired when I started. I ran a lead from the Red/White to the empty terminal on the corresponding tone pot leaving the cap and ground as they were. I see the SD spin-a-split does it a bit differently. Doing it my way [and I assume this is the same as the Peavey] gives you coil splitting plus tone control as I described above.

• Members

That is one of the fun things about a T-60, though I usually keep the neck pickup split and the bridge in bucker mode.

Here's an old pic of mine after I chopped the body. Gonna put a tele neck on it one of these days, think I'd play it more often with a fatter neck on it. The pickups are killer in these things.

t-60caster.jpg

• Members

That is one of the fun things about a T-60, though I usually keep the neck pickup split and the bridge in bucker mode.

Here's an old pic of mine after I chopped the body. Gonna put a tele neck on it one of these days, think I'd play it more often with a fatter neck on it. The pickups are killer in these things.

t-60caster.jpg

I've owned two of the natural finish T-60's (twenty-five years apart), and I always felt they lacked something in the "looks department".

Your sculpted T-60 is muy sexy. How did you refinish the body?

And I agree with you about the skinny neck, but I'd hate to see your's loose the Peavey headstock.

• Members

gives you coil splitting plus tone control as I described above.

Ok I see what you did there. That's interesting.

But you've wired it so the split/tap is connected directly to the tone cap without any resistance between the tap and the cap, when the tone control is on 10. So it's like having the tone turned down all the way applied in the middle of the humbucker.

To get close to the stock sound you have to have the pot in the center part of it's wipe/resistance.

A linear pot would probably be better for this mod, but that takes away from the down and dirty quickness of it.

hmmmm. I guess I'll have to try this and see how it works out.

• Members

I've owned two of the natural finish T-60's (twenty-five years apart), and I always felt they lacked something in the "looks department".

Your sculpted T-60 is
muy
sexy. How did you refinish the body?

And I agree with you about the skinny neck, but I'd hate to see your's loose the Peavey headstock.

Thanks! I messed around with some cardboard templates til I found something I liked, then took a jigsaw and powersander to it. Extra contours back and front using tons 'o sandpaper. Much lighter. Didn't use any filler, thought that might be "tone-sucking pore filler". Spray poly finish. It was a $160 pawnshop score w/case.

I also have the original maple T-60 neck, the rosewood neck came from a buddy's that I put a Warmoth tele neck on. The tele necks fit perfectly. Mine doesn't look much like a peavey now, anyway.:idk:

• Members

hmmmm. I guess I'll have to try this and see how it works out.

It only takes a couple of minutes to mod - a bit longer if you have to figure out how to switch the coil/phase on one to get the SC's humbucking together - and I'm quite gassed about how it worked out.

Archived