Spin-a-split wiring!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin-a-split wiring!

This is the ****************:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_3w_2sas

This one is for a 2 bucker/2 vol/2 tone guitar. You run a lead from your 4 conductor pickup cable to the empty lug on the corresponding tone pot.

With the tone pot wide open, the pickup runs as a single coil. Roll it down to around 80% and you're back to humbucker and the remainder adds bass.

With a bit more work you can change the wiring on one of the buckers so when both pickups are in single-coil the humbuck.

Cheapest wiring mod on the planet and it adds so much flexibility and tonal options it should be illegal!
    --------------------------------
    www.VerneAndru.com

FWIW, I had a dial-a-split on my hhh strat at one point. I ended up not using it because what I found was I either wanted it split, or not - so I put in a push/pull switch.
    --
    Wagdog
    Check out Lunar Commander on:
    iTunes App Store
    Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
    iTunes App Store
    Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
    - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Huh. Neat!
      Listen...

Comment

Sounds like the wiring on a Peavey T-60...
        Spam:
        Peavey Classic 30 - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063

Comment

FWIW, I had a dial-a-split on my hhh strat at one point. I ended up not using it because what I found was I either wanted it split, or not - so I put in a push/pull switch.

tried it and did NOT find it variable like turning down the volume on one coil, but rather it just jumped from split/not split at a certain point
          Originally Posted by Puckman

I'd have to put "Goo" in there first, personally.

Comment

Sounds worth a go! If it works like described - that'd be incredible!
            I made the mistake of including the name of the band I was in at the time I started my account here, but a lot of my friends really do call me "gibby"...
            My guitfiddle vidyas
            Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Gibby McFender
            Good trades with: jnapruitt, jelloman, emptyparadigm, teleman, atrox, Norcal_Gtr, Cale 76, Moops, Fart Murphy, gutterking, npidge, shimrod69, HickorySMOKES

bassist for Fools For Rowan. Check us out!

Comment

I guess YMMV. I did it to my Ric 650 and it's great. I also put in a blend pot and master volume. I get a nice SC chime [I did it so the SC's humbuck] and can dial them back around 10% to get enough humbucking that I can use the blend pot to favor either pup and still keep the SC hum at bay.

And, yes, I got it from a guy on the Ric forum who says he got it from a Peavey T-60.
              www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

There's always this, if you want the T-60 wiring:
                http://www.peaveyt60.com/mods&hotrodding.htm
                Good trades: drivelikejoewho, mfergel, kalvinsdad

Originally Posted by Funkwire

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a guitar player

Comment

That's cool, but I can't go without a tone control too.
                  DC in DC

Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco

DIY, the ultimate in wankery. Actually, wankery is the ultimate in DIY.

SPAM: My eBay Auctions!

My Good Dealings with, SPAM Thread, & Signature Quotes post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

Comment

That's cool, but I can't go without a tone control too.

The tone control still works but only after you've dialed down into humbucker mode. When in SC I use my blend pot to dial in neck or bridge to darken/brighten so it has the same general effect as a tone control.
                    www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

no cap = no tone control.
                      DC in DC

Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco

DIY, the ultimate in wankery. Actually, wankery is the ultimate in DIY.

SPAM: My eBay Auctions!

My Good Dealings with, SPAM Thread, & Signature Quotes post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

Comment

I agree that sacrificing your tone control sucks, as they can come in handy, but ever since I found this schematic on the web I have wanted to try it out... I just don't have a good candidate for the job right now. Between the two splits and the two volumes, you are going to have a lot of tonal options, that's for sure.

Comment

My apologies - I didn't look that closely at the SD wiring. Look at this one

That's how my Ric was wired when I started. I ran a lead from the Red/White to the empty terminal on the corresponding tone pot leaving the cap and ground as they were. I see the SD spin-a-split does it a bit differently. Doing it my way [and I assume this is the same as the Peavey] gives you coil splitting plus tone control as I described above.
                          www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

That is one of the fun things about a T-60, though I usually keep the neck pickup split and the bridge in bucker mode.

Here's an old pic of mine after I chopped the body. Gonna put a tele neck on it one of these days, think I'd play it more often with a fatter neck on it. The pickups are killer in these things.

Comment

That is one of the fun things about a T-60, though I usually keep the neck pickup split and the bridge in bucker mode.

Here's an old pic of mine after I chopped the body. Gonna put a tele neck on it one of these days, think I'd play it more often with a fatter neck on it. The pickups are killer in these things.

I've owned two of the natural finish T-60's (twenty-five years apart), and I always felt they lacked something in the "looks department".

Your sculpted T-60 is muy sexy. How did you refinish the body?

And I agree with you about the skinny neck, but I'd hate to see your's loose the Peavey headstock.
                              There's only two things I'm afraid of---women, and the the C7+9+11 Chord.

Comment

Working...
                              X