What's your favourite 'cheap' electric?

butterknucket

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Route 101 Solimar Custom (strat clone w/angled headstock) that I paid about $300 for back in 2000. I've bought and sold over a dozen guitars in that time, but the Route 101 has been a constant. It has a great neck, it sounds good, and it's dependable.

• Members

My hands-down favorite is the Squier Bullet Strat with trem, that came out about a year ago. Excellent modding platform IMHO. The neck is really nice too, with the vintage headstock, rosewood fretboard and medium jumbo frets. The stock pickups are pretty decent too, especially the neck pup. I've modded a daphne blue and SB, and I just ordered a fiesta red one, which will become "coral pink" (salmon) in a month or two. Fully modded, i've only got maybe $230 invested in either one of them, including the cost of the guitar ($75-$100 each).

• Members

Peavey Predator Plus.

It's a Korean-built fat strat based on the Wolfgang, but with a Fender-style bridge and locking tuners instead of a Floyd. The green transluscent finish is soooooo pretty, and it gives strat tones better than any non-US Fenders I've picked up.

• Members

all my guitars are technically cheapies tbh altho my strat was a gift so it doesn't count and a few were not cheap when they were new when they were made

I really like my New York Pro Strat and can not see why people think it is bad it is identical to my deluxe strat except the wood is not as heavy.

• Members

OLP MM1FR. One of the best import guitars I've ever played after a good setup and fret level. I can't even imagine wanting to swap the pickups and the floyd rose just stays in tune no matter how hard I beat on it. Great neck profile as well.

Its just a frickin player from hell.

• Members

Epiphone Specials, laminate hardwood at its finest!

Agreed, my LP Special is a pretty good guitar. I paid $65 used for it, and it'd be a nice guitar at even the list price. Humbuckers growl and the action does not suck. Servicable and cheap.

Archived