Will a noise suppressor negate my compressor?

ten56gibby

• Members

And usually a compressor will bring up that noise that is already in the signal chain, so using a noise gate or suppressor is often a good idea.

When I used a compressor other than the Oxygen, I used an ISP Decimator. I don't recall, but it was probably at the end of my chain.

• Members

And usually a compressor will bring up that noise that is already in the signal chain, so using a noise gate or suppressor is often a good idea.

When I used a compressor other than the Oxygen, I used an ISP Decimator. I don't recall, but it was probably at the end of my chain.

My MXR Compressor is the first thing after my guitar. The compressor would be the last thing in my fx loop after the preamp. So this will give me the desired effect?

• Members

I think all you need to do is make sure that the noise does not go into the compressor - this is what you want to avoid. It will amp up the noise and blend it with the guitar signal creating sonic mush. If the noise is being generated before the compressor, then use the suppressor to remove it before it gets to the compressor. If the noise is being generated after the compressor, then position the suppressor anywhere down the line after the source of the noise to remove it.

• Members

My MXR Compressor is the first thing after my guitar. The compressor would be the last thing in my fx loop after the preamp. So this will give me the desired effect?

Keep in mind that it also depends on your specific gear and how you set it up, but in theory using a gate at the end of the chain works, and in practice it has worked for me using different compressors and noise reduction units or noise gates (e.g., Boss NS-2, Rocktron Hush, ISP Decimator).

Placement may have been different with the Boss, though. It's been years since I had one.

I'm guessing you meant that the noise gate would be the last thing in your fx loop after the preamp. You can try it at the end of your chain, before the amp, or in the loop as you mention.

Archived