Fitting Floyd Rose to Fender Strat?

Silly Lilly

• Members

Hi guys!

I have a newbie question: is it possible to replace the standard tremolo unit on a Fender stratocaster with a Floyd Rose as in the R. Sambora model?

Would it fit? Does the guitar body need any modifications?

Anyone done it?

Many thanks.

• Members

FWIR, that was a pretty common mod in the late 80's early 90's. It needs to be done by a good guitar tech and requires routing a chunk of the body.

To make it full floating ya. But not for down only. You could have the trem rest right on top of the body. If I am not mistaken this is how EVH's famous guitar was. Routing the nut area is also optional. You can always attach the locking nut onto the headstock after the stock nut. Not the greatest but works.

I actually was crazy enough some years ago to install a floyd all the way like you mention. Routed out the body and the nut area....the works. I had the tools, took my time and it looked great when finished. Made a huge change to the guitars tone though. Not better or worse just dif'.

• Members

I ain't got the prized strat yet... but I might just start with a run-down one, strip it down, refit, re-paint, etc. You know what I mean... Does the neck need modifications too?

If the neck wasnt made to have a locking nut on it then yes.

Not saying you cant handle it but it takes if anything some time, patience, work, tools, WORK SPACE, etc,etc...to stripdown, route out for a floyd system, refinish, etc,etc. Plenty of strat style guitars out there with locking trem systems that would prol' cost alot less then getting together all that it is needed to do what you want to do.

Again....I am not saying you cant do it or dont do it.....just giving you a little insight from someone who has done all that stuff already.

• Members

Very little work needs to be done to the body of a Strat to fit a Floyd.

You don't need a recess rout in order to have the bridge float. I've seen that posted so many times and it drives me nuts because it's inaccurate.

You only need to drill for the pivot posts and remove a little bit of wood for clearance of the arm's mounting nut.

This one is not recessed and you can pull the bar up a mile.

DSCN1758.jpg

DSCN1757.jpg

A little wood needs to be removed behind the nut slot to fit the locking nut.

DSCN1779.jpg

DSCN1781.jpg

DSCN1783.jpg

• Members

Very little work needs to be done to the body of a Strat to fit a Floyd.

You don't need a recess rout in order to have the bridge float. I've seen that posted so many times and it drives me nuts because it's inaccurate.

You only need to drill for the pivot posts and remove a little bit of wood for clearance of the arm's mounting nut.

This one is not recessed and you can pull the bar up a mile.

DSCN1758.jpg
DSCN1757.jpg

A little wood needs to be removed behind the nut slot to fit the locking nut.

DSCN1779.jpg
DSCN1781.jpg
DSCN1783.jpg

What model Floyd is that? Doesnt look like it has fine tuners or a place for them.... am I just missing something?

• Members

What model Floyd is that? Doesnt look like it has fine tuners or a place for them.... am I just missing something?

It's an early model. The first ones didn't have fine tuners.

Alex Lifeson & Brad Gillis both used this type in the early 80's.

• Members

FWIR, that was a pretty common mod in the late 80's early 90's. It needs to be done by a good guitar tech and requires routing a chunk of the body.

which is exactly what I had done in 92 [i think].. lol...

pride.jpg

you have to bear in mind that, me being a leftie at that time meant that if I wanted one, this was the only option open to me..

at the nut end of the neck, the "bullet" had to be cut off to make space for the lock nut..

as with some of the sentiment here in this thread, Strats already equipped with Floyds are pretty common these days..

I wouldn't bother to do this upgrade yourself unless you were a hobbyist / apprentice luthier..

back in '92, a leftie had no other option so it made sense at the time...

• Members

Wanted to ask this for some time, seems like this is the appropriate thread:

Do I need to rout anything if I just want to put a down only floyd?

You need to rout for the locking nut unless you go without one.

The stock Strat trem rout needs to have a little bit of wood removed right where the mounting nut for the arm is on a Floyd.

• Members

This is the best solution I've seen yet:

SuperVee.jpg

http://www.madisonandfifth.co.uk/SuperVee.index.htm

Offers the capabilities of a Floyd with no routing whatever, and the guitar can be very easily returned to standard. It is very expensive here in the UK, but probably only a fraction of that if you're in the US, as is normally the case.

That looks pretty cool.:cool:

• Members

I ain't got the prized strat yet... but I might just start with a run-down one, strip it down, refit, re-paint, etc. You know what I mean... Does the neck need modifications too?

Please don't tell us you're going to retrofit a Floyd onto a nicely worn vintage Strat:eek:

Have you checked ebay for a Floyd equipped Strat?

• Members

I'm glad Pete said that about not needing to recess a body to be able to pull up a FR. All the original Floyd-equipped guitars had no recess - i have one and it works the same way.

and, no, it doesn't REALLY need a pro guitar tech to do the conversion from a strat rout to a Floyd. I believe i was in 9th grade (mid 80's)when i bought a FR and with no power tools nor any knowledge of woodworking, installed one myself on a strat copy; i even cut the recess. i used primitive hand tools like a hammer and chisel but hey, it works great to this day with no issues. looks crappy if you really study it but hey, we do what we can.

that said, i recommend only buying an Original Floyd Rose, not one of those licensed jobbies - they are never as good as the real thing. I have an OFR-equipped Kramer Baretta('86?) in the closet, and I dont even open the case anymore for years on end. when i do, that sucker is still perfectly in tune every time. the strings are at least 10 years old on it too. crazy!!

• Members
which is exactly what I had done in 92 [i think].. lol...

pride.jpg

as with some of the sentiment here in this thread, Strats already equipped with Floyds are pretty common these days..

I wouldn't bother to do this upgrade yourself unless you were a hobbyist / apprentice luthier..

Hi there!

Not sure where these US Strats equipped with Floyds are, I haven't seen any around (live in Britain) apart from the Mexican Sambora model. Any ideas?

Archived