Best pickups for a semi hollow?

EzzO)))

• Members

I recently ordered a hagstrom viking reissue (should be here soon) and I'm thinking about up grading the pickups. I'm just looking for something that's going to compliment it. What are considered THE quintessential semi-hollow pickups? I was also thinking about putting in some P-90's something like seymour duncan phat cats or maybe some pure 90's...

• Members

I strongly, very strongly suggest GFS Dream 180's. I'

m getting a Epi Dot soon and will have these installed.Cross of a PAF and a Filtertron/Best of both worlds.

Clean clips from an SG w/ Dream 180's. Very clear and crisp tones, lots of prescence

Click here: http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25665

Distorted Clip : http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25725

• Members

I don't know - that's a toughie. The P-90s I had in an Epi Wildkat sounded pretty good, but I'm still a humbucker girl when it comes to semi-hollows. What kind of music do you plan to play with it? For the blues, jazz , and vintage rock, I'd say Seymour Duncan 59s. If you want to play Fusion, metal or hard rock (ala 70s Rush, or Nickelback, etc.), I'd say Seymour Duncan JBs or Gibson Burstbuckers. Me, I'll stick to the Super 58s in my Ibanez 335 copy.

• Members

I've got a new Sheraton that's waiting for a pickup upgrade. I play mostly classic rock & blues and based on my research to date, my short list includes Gibson 57's and BG PUF's. Leaning more towards the BG's though because I've read nothing but positive reviews on Bryan's stuff and he's about half the price of the Gibsons.

• Members

I assume it's mostly made out of maple? Anyhoo, I put in GFS Mean 90's into my semihollow, and they sound great.

I initially feared that single coils would sound way too bright with the Maple (a bright tonewood), but surprisingly, it doesn't sound too trebly. But definitely not muddy like so many buckers do.

• Members

I recently ordered a hagstrom viking reissue (should be here soon) and I'm thinking about up grading the pickups. I'm just looking for something that's going to compliment it. What are considered THE quintessential semi-hollow pickups? I was also thinking about putting in some P-90's something like seymour duncan phat cats or maybe some pure 90's...

I'm a big fan of bare knuckle pups if u have the cash

• Members

I've got a new Sheraton that's waiting for a pickup upgrade. I play mostly classic rock & blues and based on my research to date, my short list includes Gibson 57's and BG PUF's. Leaning more towards the BG's though because I've read nothing but positive reviews on Bryan's stuff and he's about half the price of the Gibsons.

I have a PUF set in my LP copy and they are some super pickups. My Sheraton has a Gibson 57/57+ set and the BGs sound better to me.

• Members

I thought i heard that hagstrom had their own unique pickup tone/design ....maybe you should wait till you get the guitar , you might like the hagstrom pickup sound...

ummmm.....but if you really dont happen to like the hagstrom tone you can always send them to me for free...

hagstrom at NAMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDaTm2MCFHc

:)

• Members

I thought i heard that hagstrom had their own unique pickup tone/design ....maybe you should wait till you get the guitar , you might like the hagstrom pickup sound...ummmm.....but if you really dont happen to like the hagstrom tone you can always send them to me for free...
:)

+1

I have a Deluxe F and if the pups on the Viking are the same, you're in for a treat. The ones on my HJ600 sucked though so I hope you don't get those!

Anyway, at least try the damn thing first before you change them out.:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

+1

I have a Deluxe F and if the pups on the Viking are the same, you're in for a treat. The ones on my HJ600 sucked though so I hope you don't get those!

Anyway, at least try the damn thing first before you change them out.
:thu:

Not to dig up an old thread but he has the same pups your HJ came with. Zappa likes em':confused:

• 1 month later...

Archived