No announcement yet.

Fender decals = illegal?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender decals = illegal?

Would it be illegal to buy or put a Fender decal on a Warmoth neck? I don't want to falsey display it as a Fender, but I like how the Fender headstock decals look.

I think that technically it is at least illegal for the people who make them, but as long as you don't try to pass the guitar off as a fender down the road when selling it, who cares?
    FREE DCinDC!!!

Originally posted by geek_usa

That's damn near sig worthy

but seriously, don't you think just maybe, possibly, quite interestingly enough, it could be YOU?

My gear:
    2008 Fender American standard strat
    Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
    Fender Deluxe Players Strat - FOR SALE
    SX SST62 - FOR SALE
    Custom made Tele
    Fender Super Champ XD - Amazing amp
    Vox AC4TV - Love it
    Breedlove AD25/SR Plus
    Squier Classic vibe 50's Tele AND strat!! (strat is FOR SALE)

Comment

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother
      Would it be illegal to buy or put a Fender decal on a Warmoth neck? I don't want to falsey display it as a Fender, but I like how the Fender headstock decals look.

Yes, the headstock police will kick down the door and rape you with a rubber hose
      I puked last night after eating a volcano taco and drinking vodka. I felt like a ****************ing dragon.

Originally Posted by arrowhen

I figure I've only got about $200 worth of talent, so anything I spend over that is just wasted beer money.

Originally Posted by RaVenCAD

I think the most interesting facet of this entire topic is that more people seem to like Ed Roman than BG76.. Out dickheading Ed Roman - man, that takes some serious skill..

Comment

depends on what you do after that...if you use that decal to intentionally mislead someone into thinking the instrument is something that it is not, that could be illegal.

More than anything its somewhat unethical IMHO and I would make my own decal if desired.
        spam:
        GFS Classic Alnico Tele neck pickup - $15
        GFC Classic Alnico 62 Tele bridge pickup - $15
        Trade offers welcome

Comment

Yes, it is illegal in a civil sense only. Do it anyway. The Fender LOGO police won't be coming by anytime soon.

Comment

Its not illegal, but it might violate Fender's trademark. Possessing a neck with a decal on it, or just a decal would not violate the trademark, if they could prove you put it on a non-Fender neck they might make a lawsuit stick, and if you were selling non-Fender guitars with them they could most certainly sue you up the river.

One thing I am not clear on is the distinction between say Squire and Fender - if you put a Fender decal on a Squire and sold it would that violate their trademark, since the Squire IS made by Fender. I'm sure they have some way around that.

Probably state law would also have some effect on things, but I'm not sure what since trademarks are a federal thing.

I have a Squire neck with a Fender decal. I bought it that way and the seller identified it as a Squire neck. I would not have put it there on my own, and it didn't affect my choice to buy (condition, model, and price did). But, I don't feel the need to remove it.
            Walt

"Goin' down to Luzianna, to get a mojo hand ... haw, haw, haw ..."

http://www.hoodoohounds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PolyFmorf
              Yes, it is illegal in a civil sense only. Do it anyway. The Fender LOGO police won't be coming by anytime soon.

BTW, I new a gal once whose husband was a trademark lawyer, and he DID have teams that looked in local shops and things for trademark violations of his clients and regularly caught and sued them (or their supplier).

But they wouldn't care about someone simply owning a forgery - only selling one.
              Walt

"Goin' down to Luzianna, to get a mojo hand ... haw, haw, haw ..."

http://www.hoodoohounds.com/

Comment

Just be careful. I did that once and ah well...

I'm now posting from jail.

Comment

Well...it might be different if you're using a Warmoth neck, as Warmoth make licensed Fender necks...

Comment

I did it. I bought a repo spaghetti logo waterslide decal that I put on my replacement neck. It was for my own use. It looks cool and non guitar players dont know the difference. I would not sell it and try and pass it off as a Fender. I will say this, most of the time you will not find a legit Fender headstock decal, it takes an act of congress to get Fender to part with them.
                    “Man, I was tame compared to what they do now. Are you kidding? I didn’t do anything but just jiggle.” Elvis Presley-1972

Rock On
                    Mike

MIM Strat Proud
                    OFFICIAL Bad Monkey Club

Comment

You could do almost anything to your own instrument, but its quite another thing if you sell it.
                      I am not a dealer or corporate shill for any company.

XT Brotherhood

Comment

People sell Warmoths all the time on Ebay with Fender logos and never have heard anyone getting in trouble yet!

Comment

Where do you get the decals?
                          A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                          HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                          Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                          I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

i am looking for one in chrome anyone?

GUITARS
                            1991 Telecaster Plus with Tremelo (Modified)
                            1988 Gibson Showcase Edition Les Paul BLK/SILV
                            2007 Sunburst Flame Top Gibson Les Paul Standard
                            2012 Fender FSR Blacktop Ash Telecaster Sunset Orange/Gold

AMPS
                            Orange TH30, Marshall DSL40C

Effects
                            Fulltone CF-1, Moollon Apuarius(Delay), Carl Martin PlexiTone 2, Carl Martin AC-Tone 2, Dunlop chrome Wah,

Cabinet
                            Marshall JCM 1960B 4x12

Comment

Ironically....

There was a local store selling a used warmoth strat (advertised as a warmoth too, and was really nice!) that had the Fender decals on it.
                              www.IKILLJACK.com
                              www.myspace.com/IKILLJACK

Comment

Working...
                              X