Vox Amplug?

steve_man

• Members

I have the AC30 one, which is meant to be the best one. I started another thread on this a while back.

I'm afraid I don't find it to be very good and hardly ever use it- quite expensive for what it is, very limited and tinny sounding. It's OK-ish, but I would rather plug some phones into my amp. I guess if you were on the hoof somewhere it would be handy.

• Members

I have the AC30 one, which is meant to be the best one. I started another thread on this a while back.

I'm afraid I don't find it to be very good and hardly ever use it- quite expensive for what it is, very limited and tinny sounding. It's OK-ish, but I would rather plug some phones into my amp. I guess if you were on the hoof somewhere it would be handy.

My Classic rock does not sound overly tinny. But this is a small travel amp, it's not designed to blow your socks off, it does what it's meant to do.

• Members

I've got the AC30, and mine is in no way tinny - there's tons of bass on tap (although not any way to rein it in, which is probably it's biggest drawback). The gain goes quite high, but it does react to volume adjustments quite nicely.

For the price, I highly recommend it, especially if you plan to use it along with an mp3 player (or anything else you can plug into it, for that matter). I may get around to recording some direct clips of it some time if you'd like...

• Members

I bought all three. I only kept the Metal.

-Classic rock did not have enough gain. I couldn't get into Van Halen territory.

-AC30 was pretty cool but sounded too Brian Mayish. It was good, but that sound gets tiresome to me.

-The Metal does a good metal but doesn't clean up for {censored}.

Another complaint is the knobs are waaaay to easy to move and the settings change unintentionally.

Battery life is good also.

In the end, I bought a PocketPod with rechargable batteries and couldn't be happier. Way more versatile and sounds much better with all of the available effects.

It's slightly bigger, but I use it like this

100_1208.jpg

• Members

I have the AC30 model. I love it for late night practice or when I have to go on a business trip.

I've always thought it would be cool if someone did a newer version of a Scholz Rockman X100, with a couple different distortion and clean tones, and a couple effects like reverb and maybe chorus or phase. Something like the Amplug, but with a few more features.

I'm a big Van Halen fan-- how about THAT TONE, with onboard echo, phase & flange, in an headphone amp?

• Members

I have the AC30 version too.

I don't have the amp experience to really criticise the amp simulation. It sounds OK for practice to me. But I'm disappointed about the amount of noise I get when I turn it up. But it's useful.

• Members

My neice is interested in guitar, so I bought a "Classic" to go along with a guitar I'm setting her up with. Not horrible, but I'm not terribly impressed.

I'm going to exchange it for the AC30 to see if that one is any better.

In any case, I played around with it for a few days, but I much prefer my pocket pod.

• Members

I love the AC30 and Metal models for their respective tasks.

As mentioned neither one is perfect, but they both sound very nice for what they are trying to model, and very few other gadgets out there come close for the price to quality ratio. Definitely reccomended.

Archived