Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring a resistor/capacitor in place of a tone pot?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a resistor/capacitor in place of a tone pot?

Wiring gurus - is there a way to wire a resistor/capacitor in place of a tone pot. I recently dropped new pickups in a guitar with only a volume pot, and the sound is a little harsh. There's no room for a tone pot, and I ususally leave the tone pot up all the way - is there a way to wire a resistor and capacitor in the circuit to mimic a tone control?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Wiring gurus - is there a way to wire a resistor/capacitor in place of a tone pot. I recently dropped new pickups in a guitar with only a volume pot, and the sound is a little harsh. There's no room for a tone pot, and I ususally leave the tone pot up all the way - is there a way to wire a resistor and capacitor in the circuit to mimic a tone control?

Yep, I was just reading that either here or at Stew-Macs site. Use a 250K or 500K and it should be similar to the pot, I believe.
    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
    -For Sale:
    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Sure. Maybe this'll help you figure out the values you want:

http://ozvalveamps.elands.com/tonestacks.htm

Nah, that probably won't help.

Good luck, anyway.
      There's only two things I'm afraid of---women, and the the C7+9+11 Chord.

Comment

Are you sure you don't have space for a concentric volume/tone pot?

Comment

Sure, as a pot is just a variable resistor. You may have to experiment with values. Just look at the ends of the resistor as the 2 lugs you would use on a tone pot.

Comment

the city- it calls to me
            decadent scenes from my memory

"Someone like David Gilmour can say more in three or four notes than Yngwie can say in 100, but at least they're both speaking." -Dave Mustaine

Originally Posted by Tweedledee

Because it was off topic. This is the Electric Guitar forum, not the nutmeg forum.

Originally Posted by batotman

There's only so much you can say until it gets annoying (which I found out with dog humping and puking pics).

Originally Posted by adlo76

Nikki Cox flavored **************** sauce.

Comment

Many Gretsch guitars used just capacitor wired to a switch and the volume pots to give tonal variation in their guitars, rather than a tone pot. Here is a schematic from their website on how it is wired.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/resources/schematic2.pdf
              wac captain of THE SG ARMY "WE ROCK THE WORLD"
              trooper #3F of the geezers brigade

Comment

You really don't have room for the concentric pot that keNz posted? I don't use the tone a lot either but I guarantee you'll miss it pretty soon. I find myself using it more and more as I play more and get pickier about my tone.

If you really just want a capacitor in there, just wire the cap of your choice in the signal line somewhere. The resistance of a wide open potentiometer is low enough it's probably negligible for your purposes.

Comment

Yep, I was just reading that either here or at Stew-Macs site. Use a 250K or 500K and it should be similar to the pot, I believe.

250k or 500k is the resistance value of the potentiometer when the tone/volume is turned all the way down. When it's wide open the resistance is negligible and one can just use a capacitor by itself.

Comment

you could put trim pot in the cavity instead, and dial in what you want.

Comment

Are you sure you don't have space for a concentric volume/tone pot?
                      I was going to mention that but having used them it is nearly impossible to precisely adjust one or the other on the fly.
                      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                      -For Sale:
                      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD

Comment

250k or 500k is the resistance value of the potentiometer when the tone/volume is turned all the way down. When it's wide open the resistance is negligible and one can just use a capacitor by itself.
                        Well, that wouldn't work, would it!
                        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                        -For Sale:

Comment

I was going to mention that but having used them it is nearly impossible to precisely adjust one or the other on the fly.

Somewhat cumbersome is better than having no option of tone adjustment, IMO.

Comment

Somewhat cumbersome is better than having no option of tone adjustment, IMO.
                            true. That's pretty much my only option on my Blues Saraceno if I don't drill another hole in the cavity.
                            tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                            -For Sale:

Comment

You could also change your volume pot to a push/pull or push/push pot to give you two options instead of just one

Comment

Working...
                              X