Painting a guitar case?

Katana

• Members

I've got a standard Jackson USA Soloist molded case. My question is, if I want to stencil a symbol on it how would I go about doing it?

Is there a specific kind of paint to use?

Is there any kind of process that will save me some grief?

Yeah, help me out.

• Members

No, there's a special kind of "equipment case" spraypaint you've gotta use, the normal kind doesn't stick. they sell it at most guitar stores. just call a few of them up and ask how much one can of "CASE ONLY" spraypaint is. call around, though, because some guitar stores might not carry it. Make sure you emphasise that you're looking for the spraypaint that is for guitar or bass cases only.

As for stencils, get an exacto knive, and some heavystock paper.

• Members

No, there's a special kind of "equipment case" spraypaint you've gotta use, the normal kind doesn't stick. they sell it at most guitar stores. just call a few of them up and ask how much one can of "CASE ONLY" spraypaint is. call around, though, because some guitar stores might not carry it. Make sure you emphasise that you're looking for the spraypaint that is for guitar or bass cases only.

Lol. Oh the joy of sarcasm. :cop:

• Members

Well, despite the sarcasm, mission accomplished. XD

After one mishap (which was able to be corrected quickly), I managed to apply the symbol with no trouble. Took a couple of coats, but looks good.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Members

Just make a stencil out of thick bristol board, tape it on and spray it with spray paint. It's very easy. Here's one that I did.

With the stencil

IMGP1404.jpg

Finished case

IMGP1403.jpg

and here's one I did freehand of the Brant Bjork logo. I just traded the guitar that goes with that case.... I wish I got to keep the case :(

Case2.jpg

Archived