Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a guitar case?

I've got a standard Jackson USA Soloist molded case. My question is, if I want to stencil a symbol on it how would I go about doing it?

Is there a specific kind of paint to use?
    Is there any kind of process that will save me some grief?

Yeah, help me out.
    My Guitars:
    Jackson USA RR1 Rhoads
    Gibson Flying V
    Fender MIA Stratocaster

Amps
    Mesa Boogie Roadster head w/ Mesa 2-12 cab

Good deals: alan_seong, axe2grind, BozzofAngels, sparky1358, THEE HAMMER

Just make the stencil and spray paint it on if you must.
    it will work, and wont come off.
    I personaly just put stickers on mine.
    Every gig we play i get one (or however many different ones they have) and put it on there.
    Makes it look like im a bad-ass, and it shows where all ive played.
    MY ****************Peavey 6505+ (FJA Transistors)
    Peavey Transtube Studio 112
    Marshall 1960AV
    Schecter Damien FR
    Fender Strat (L500-xl in bridge)
    Epiphone SG
    MXR 10 Band EQ
    ISP Decimator

Comment

No, there's a special kind of "equipment case" spraypaint you've gotta use, the normal kind doesn't stick. they sell it at most guitar stores. just call a few of them up and ask how much one can of "CASE ONLY" spraypaint is. call around, though, because some guitar stores might not carry it. Make sure you emphasise that you're looking for the spraypaint that is for guitar or bass cases only.

As for stencils, get an exacto knive, and some heavystock paper.
      2003 CIJ Fender Jaguar HH JGS-86 w/ Dimarzio Super II's.
      2008 Fender Jaguar MIDI w/ Q-Tuner High Z bridge pickup, Hollow Aluminum Neck.
      1986 MIJ Fender Esquirecaster, SCN bridge.
      2007 Gibson Reverse Flying V w/ Roland GK-3.
      2003 Fender Jaguar JGS-83.

Ampeg VT-22
      Blackheart BH5-112
      Peavey Rock Master
      Pre-Rola Celestion Greenbacks

Member "The Fender Benders" Offset Fender Owners Group

Trustworthy HCers: DracoAran, aenemated, Sombrero

Comment

No, there's a special kind of "equipment case" spraypaint you've gotta use, the normal kind doesn't stick. they sell it at most guitar stores. just call a few of them up and ask how much one can of "CASE ONLY" spraypaint is. call around, though, because some guitar stores might not carry it. Make sure you emphasise that you're looking for the spraypaint that is for guitar or bass cases only.

Lol. Oh the joy of sarcasm.
        My Guitars:
        Jackson USA RR1 Rhoads
        Gibson Flying V
        Fender MIA Stratocaster

Amps

Comment

Lol. Oh the joy of sarcasm.

He's not kidding. Equipment cases are coated with this teflon stuff so the dirt doesn't stick and they stay clean.

Comment

Well, despite the sarcasm, mission accomplished. XD
            After one mishap (which was able to be corrected quickly), I managed to apply the symbol with no trouble. Took a couple of coats, but looks good.

Thanks for the help guys.
            My Guitars:
            Jackson USA RR1 Rhoads
            Gibson Flying V
            Fender MIA Stratocaster

Amps

Comment

I hand-painted a case one time, just used acrylic paint available at any craft type of store and then sealed it with some rattle can clear coat.

Comment

Just make a stencil out of thick bristol board, tape it on and spray it with spray paint. It's very easy. Here's one that I did.

With the stencil

Finished case

and here's one I did freehand of the Brant Bjork logo. I just traded the guitar that goes with that case.... I wish I got to keep the case
                [SIZE="2"]Guitar Gear: Gibson '61 RI SG, Dean Cadillac Select, Charvel 475 Special, BC Rich NJ Bich, Gibson Faded V, MIM Strat, Warmoth Tele, LP Copy, Yamaha Acoustic, VHT Pittbull Fifty/ST, VOX VT30, Blackheart BH5H, '72 Hiwatt 4123 Cab, Traynor TS-50, POD XT, 16 ohm THD Hotplate, 80's Peavey Rage combo, Boss ME-50, Russian Big Muff, Graphic Fuzz
                Bass Gear: Fender P Bass (MIM), SX SJB-75C, SX SBG2, Traynor MonoBlock II, Yorkville 410B, SWR Basic 2 Way

Comment

I'd throw a clear coat too. Something like this:

http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products.cgi?Americana_Spray_Sealer
                  PRS Custom 24 - G&L Comanche - Hamer SAFT with mods - Variax 500 - Takamine G-Series Cutaway Acoustic

Comment

Thanks everyone. I didn't even think about applying clear coat. I'll do that as well pretty soon.
                    My Guitars:
                    Jackson USA RR1 Rhoads
                    Gibson Flying V
                    Fender MIA Stratocaster

Amps

Comment

Working...
                    X