GFS Pre-Wired Pickguards

msbhendrixxx

• Members

i've never soldered before, if i got the gfs budget soldering iron would it be easy to do?

There is no big trick to soldering. Just get the iron heated up and put a little flux on it. Clean up the old solder joint really good and drop a nice little bead of solder on each connection. There are some really good tutorials on the web for soldering just read them over and practice your skills a couple times before you give it a real go.

• Members

Yeah... I'd recommend you getting some random wire and practice getting the right amount of flux on the wires, then heating them so they stick together well.

It's very easy to get it close to right... and you should have any issues with a jack. Switches are trickier as if you heat them up too much, you can damage them. Jacks are very straight forward.

• Members

Try it. Check out in my sig. Click the emg install link. I believe I have some pictures of soldering everything up. If you have any questions please fill sure to shoot me a PM. I have a lot of experience doing it and my dad is a master at that type of stuff. so no matter what I can get you an easy to read answer....

GO FOR IT DUDE!

• Members

Careful. Those are not the GFS pickup-equipped handwired jobs. I've had a set of the cheap pickups, they're fine, but probably a lateral move for a MiM. Cheap enough to try, but if I was going to bother, I'd get one of the custom-ordered ones, they'd be a big step up.

• Members

Careful. Those are not the GFS pickup-equipped handwired jobs. I've had a set of the cheap pickups, they're fine, but probably a lateral move for a MiM. Cheap enough to try, but if I was going to bother, I'd get one of the custom-ordered ones, they'd be a big step up.

+1

GFS used to have HSS ones with a GFS branded humbucker, but those are in the past. I would think the current SSS ones would be no better than comparable to a MIM. The clearance overwound strat pickups are a great deal though if you are looking for more punch for cheap.

• Members

Upgrade to a Squier Affinity or Bullet. Not as good as Squier Standard Alnico or Fender MIM.

I'd argue that point. I bought a set of humbuckers and they're loads better than the buckers found in MIM Fat Strats. That might just be my opinion, but the set I got sounds a lot more robust.

• Members

I'd argue that point. I bought a set of humbuckers and they're loads better than the buckers found in MIM Fat Strats. That might just be my opinion, but the set I got sounds a lot more robust.

I can't say the same for the ceramic single coils. They were just OK chinese strat copy-like pickups.

• Members

I would look somewhere else. The GFS site is a little too "used car salesman" for me.

I ordered some parts from them and the service was very good (they lost my ebay order but responded to my emails quickly and got the parts out with quick emails!) but the parts were not what I expected.

I ordered some Fender tuners and some Gibson style keystones. The metal was cheap looking and had they come on a new guitar I would have changed them.

I also ordered a gold set of pickups (Humbuckers - can't remember model) and some P-90s. All sounded OK, but I would put them on par with Epiphone pickups. The P-90s certainly did not sound like Lollars or an old set of Gibsons.

That being said, I think they fill a niche in that they offer good service and affordable options for the decent, inexpensive Korean guitars out there. Which is cool.

Just make sure to read through the hype.

Archived