Wilkinson Vintage AV6P new pickguard

mirko

• Members

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a Vintage AV6P, which is a stratocaster-like guitar but with three P90s (stacked humbuckers) pickups. From what I read it is very well built and sounds good, considering its low budget price.

I like the look also, but I find that with a red tortoise pickguard it would be wonderful, so I'm looking for some pickguard replacement solution.

Wilkinson seems not to sell spare pickguards (at least not for this model), the pickguard is not a conventional stratocaster because of the pickups and the shape itself (observ the picture below). I found many sites that sells custom pickguards in the USA but I live in Europe, do you know some european custom pickguard builder?

Thanks alot

Happy new year

071201%20Vintage%20VAV6%20(Adv%20Series)

• Members

What the cost of this model is US dollars...do ya know?

Check All-Parts or Stew-Mac of pick-guard sheets of Raw material. Then use YOURS for a Template and cut your own.

NOBODY is gonna have a pick-guard that fits that. You could also look for a Hardware shop by your home and see what they have for Plexi Glass, Lexan, or what-ever type of Plastics they are using for countertops. The Home Depots here carry a TON of usable products. You should bve able to find something there. It WON'T be Shell, or Pearloid but there are MANy MANY cool choices here. So you should find SOMETHING there.

• Members

Thanks, I'm not very good in bricolage! but I've seen that some USA site allows you to send your pickguard (or a paper with a trace of it) and they can build you another one with the same shape.. I'm asking if something similar exists in Europe (because of shipping costs and custom duties).

concerning the guitar:

here you can find the official dealer info:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageadvance.html

I don't know if this guitar is sold in USA.. I know that this site sells it at 195pounds (which is around 280 dollars):

http://www.dv247.com/invt/46437/

I think it is a great value for the price.

I read a couple of good reviews...has anyone played this guitar?

What the cost of this model is US dollars...do ya know?

Check All-Parts or Stew-Mac of pick-guard sheets of Raw material. Then use YOURS for a Template and cut your own.

NOBODY is gonna have a pick-guard that fits that. You could also look for a Hardware shop by your home and see what they have for Plexi Glass, Lexan, or what-ever type of Plastics they are using for countertops. The Home Depots here carry a TON of usable products. You should bve able to find something there. It WON'T be Shell, or Pearloid but there are MANy MANY cool choices here. So you should find SOMETHING there.

• Members

Thanks Bro, I'm gonna keep an eye out for one. I been gassing for a Reverend Custom Slingshot for some time[same thing basically 3 P-90s in a Strat ] But I never wanted to spend the kind of cash that was being asked for them.

This is a GREAT alternative. I simply must find one here.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I love finding ages old posts that pertain to something I am currently doing. If anyone is still wondering, years later, there were only a few dealers of Vintage and Fret King guitars in the US. My friend was one of them. I do not know why Vintage did not sell well in the US. Maybe it was poor marketing. They are incredible budget oriented guitars. And unlike other guitars in their range they do not suffer from cheap hardware. They all had quality Wilkinson pars and decent Wilkinson pickups. No upgrades were usually needed to have a nice guitar. They had many familiar models and usually provided a nice twist or addition to familiar styles. They tended to be a touch more expensive here but still very affordable with many models on the $300 range. The model here seemed to go fr closer to $500 here in the US from dealers. I am actually getting this exact model from my friend next week. He has a few left over all these years later. All are very nice. I have one other Vintage, a Lemon Drop Icon series that is amazing. Its LP style. There is still one dealer I believe. Uncle Roy's Music in Washington. JHS is currently looking for a distributor to bring them back in the US. They are widely popular inntne UK as a high quality affordable instrument. Similar to what Agile has done in the US but with a World Class designer, quality parts and a wider distribution network.

Archived