Alternatives to Gibson 498T?

fabeon

• Members

I'm the first one to rag on the 498T pickups, but if you like it that's all that matters. I've heard plenty of people get some great tones out of them; I'm just not capable of it. I find them harsh and brittle, but that could be my technique or something.

I just don't know if you'll be happier with something else just because someone else liked it better than what you've already got.

• Members

I tried one of these in a Gibson SG and though they sounded great, but I hear a lot of people saying there are better options.

What other pickups offer the same voicing/characteristics of the 498T, but better?

Which SG did you play? Many have the 490T (as opposed to the 498T) in the bridge and 490R. Also, what guitar is this going into?

To my ears, the SD JB (SH-4) sounds dangerously similar and has similar output, though it may be a little "smoother." But, if you're looking for something similar but smoother, you could try the 490T, which I believe is the same pickup but with an AlNiCo II magnet instead of the 498T's AlNiCo V. Also, as I mentioned above, the 490T is often in the SG, and may be the very pickup you heard (and like). I liked the 490T quite a bit, though I no longer have my SG Faded...

• Members

Hmm.

Can you recommend me a pickup that is a bit darker than the 498T but has more punch and sustain?

If you want something darker, then try a ToneZone by Dimarzio. I had one in my SG a few years ago and I found that it sounded really muddy in a all mahagony guitar.

• Members

Which SG did you play? Many have the 490T (as opposed to the 498T) in the bridge and 490R. Also, what guitar is this going into?

To my ears, the SD JB (SH-4) sounds dangerously similar and has similar output, though it may be a little "smoother." But, if you're looking for something similar but smoother, you could try the 490T, which I believe is the same pickup but with an AlNiCo II magnet instead of the 498T's AlNiCo V. Also, as I mentioned above, the 490T is often in the SG, and may be the very pickup you heard (and like). I liked the 490T quite a bit, though I no longer have my SG Faded...

I played the SG Standard. AFAIK, it uses a 498T in the bridge.

• Members

SG standards have the 498t in the bridge and the 490r in the neck. the specials and special fadeds uses a 490 in each slot. i have both and IMHO i prefer the 498 in the bridge much more. but, you (OP) may like the 490 better? it is darker but, i have a darker amp (orange) so it was too dark (and trust me i LOVE dark). the 498 is a perfect balance for me. i'll be swapping the 490 in the bridge on the faded soon to a 498 so i may have one available.

• Members

SG standards have the 498t in the bridge and the 490r in the neck. the specials and special fadeds uses a 490 in each slot. i have both and IMHO i prefer the 498 in the bridge much more. but, you (OP) may like the 490 better? it is darker but, i have a darker amp (orange) so it was too dark (and trust me i LOVE dark). the 498 is a perfect balance for me. i'll be swapping the 490 in the bridge on the faded soon to a 498 so i may have one available.

I really like the 490R but the 498T is a bit thin sounding IMO and in an SG Standard, they bridge is thin sounding, almost getting into Tele territory IMO with out the major twang. If I wanted that tone, I'd get a Tele. The neck, sweet.

Depends on what you want tone wise. I just got a set of Duncan 59s for one of my projects after much research. I have a set of SG Standard pickups sitting around the house for a project and considered using those but opted for a more vintage, PAFish tone. I be willing to sell if someone is interested in those SG pups.

• Members

Maybe a bit darker sounding pickup with the exact same tonal qualities other wise?

What exactly was better in regards to the tone?

Swap the A5 magnet in the 498T to an A2. You can just do a straight swap with a 490R if you have one. It will make the 498 less shrill and warm it up. Bass will soften. OTOH the 490R will become punchier / less muddy

• Members

I like the 498 just DON'T like it in combination with a 490 neck.

I dropped a BB-Pro in my SG neck position and left the 498....GREAT TONE.

Did the exact same thing with a 07 Ebony Studio I own.

But I agree with the above poster who mentioned the SD-SH-4. Thats a similar pup with a slightly different midrange EQ. But I also agree that f you like the 498 stay with it. Its a Great Rock and Roll and Blues pup.

Archived