Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Gibson 498T?

I tried one of these in a Gibson SG and though they sounded great, but I hear a lot of people saying there are better options.

What other pickups offer the same voicing/characteristics of the 498T, but better?
    Originally Posted by xxtinyterrified

did every person in the amp forum influence thousands of amazing guitarists and get shot for no reason in front of his own brother? didn't think so.

kthnxbye

Dimebag. Serious business.

If you thought it sounded great, maybe you should stick with it. It's a great pickup, if you're into that sort of tone (I like it as well).

Maybe you can list what you'd want, tonewise... more treble? Less output? More output?

Comment

I swapped the 498 out of my Les paul for a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5.

No comparison.

Comment

I swapped the 498 out of my Les paul for a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5.

No comparison.

What exactly was better in regards to the tone?

did every person in the amp forum influence thousands of amazing guitarists and get shot for no reason in front of his own brother? didn't think so.

kthnxbye

Comment

Maybe a bit darker sounding pickup with the exact same tonal qualities other wise?

What exactly was better in regards to the tone?

Clearer, more punch and sustain. I found it brighter than the 498.

Comment

Clearer, more punch and sustain. I found it brighter than the 498.

Hmm.

Can you recommend me a pickup that is a bit darker than the 498T but has more punch and sustain?

kthnxbye

Comment

I'm the first one to rag on the 498T pickups, but if you like it that's all that matters. I've heard plenty of people get some great tones out of them; I'm just not capable of it. I find them harsh and brittle, but that could be my technique or something.

I just don't know if you'll be happier with something else just because someone else liked it better than what you've already got.
              AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

Take it from me, I have gone through at least 10 different pickups for my SG and ultimately I went back to the 498T.

It's a great sounding pup.
                Originally Posted by Zozobra

I'm sure that a similar tone can be generated by putting a dildo in a metal trash can and kicking it down some stairs. It'll cost $800 less and thats if you buy a totally ****************ing sweet dildo.

Comment

I tried one of these in a Gibson SG and though they sounded great, but I hear a lot of people saying there are better options.

What other pickups offer the same voicing/characteristics of the 498T, but better?

Which SG did you play? Many have the 490T (as opposed to the 498T) in the bridge and 490R. Also, what guitar is this going into?

To my ears, the SD JB (SH-4) sounds dangerously similar and has similar output, though it may be a little "smoother." But, if you're looking for something similar but smoother, you could try the 490T, which I believe is the same pickup but with an AlNiCo II magnet instead of the 498T's AlNiCo V. Also, as I mentioned above, the 490T is often in the SG, and may be the very pickup you heard (and like). I liked the 490T quite a bit, though I no longer have my SG Faded...
                  Good trades: drivelikejoewho, mfergel, kalvinsdad

Originally Posted by Funkwire

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a guitar player

Comment

Hmm.

Can you recommend me a pickup that is a bit darker than the 498T but has more punch and sustain?

If you want something darker, then try a ToneZone by Dimarzio. I had one in my SG a few years ago and I found that it sounded really muddy in a all mahagony guitar.
                    Originally Posted by Zozobra

I'm sure that a similar tone can be generated by putting a dildo in a metal trash can and kicking it down some stairs. It'll cost $800 less and thats if you buy a totally ****************ing sweet dildo.

Comment

Which SG did you play? Many have the 490T (as opposed to the 498T) in the bridge and 490R. Also, what guitar is this going into?

To my ears, the SD JB (SH-4) sounds dangerously similar and has similar output, though it may be a little "smoother." But, if you're looking for something similar but smoother, you could try the 490T, which I believe is the same pickup but with an AlNiCo II magnet instead of the 498T's AlNiCo V. Also, as I mentioned above, the 490T is often in the SG, and may be the very pickup you heard (and like). I liked the 490T quite a bit, though I no longer have my SG Faded...

I played the SG Standard. AFAIK, it uses a 498T in the bridge.

kthnxbye

Comment

A lower resistance volume pot can darken things up a lot. Generally the lower the "R" the darker.

Comment

SG standards have the 498t in the bridge and the 490r in the neck. the specials and special fadeds uses a 490 in each slot. i have both and IMHO i prefer the 498 in the bridge much more. but, you (OP) may like the 490 better? it is darker but, i have a darker amp (orange) so it was too dark (and trust me i LOVE dark). the 498 is a perfect balance for me. i'll be swapping the 490 in the bridge on the faded soon to a 498 so i may have one available.
                          good deals: xjordanx, hooya, guitar60, Puckman, johnnyunitas, nosignal1, drasp, beisenla, ungarn, skunx, rok-en-rol, senor-penguin, cloudy house, tom huff

Comment

What's wrong with the 498t? If you like the tone, stick with it! That's why I haven't switched out the pickups in my Epiphone LP...I really just like them.
                            Proud Member of the Epiphone Empire!

Originally Posted by aenemated

if i wanted a daisy rock with goddamn care bears and rainbow brite on it, i'd ****************ing well have it and rock it out like a mother****************er.

Originally Posted by adlo76

maybe the customer service agent didn't speak douchebagenese

YOUR ≠ YOU'RE

Comment

Maybe a bit darker sounding pickup with the exact same tonal qualities other wise?

Rio Grande BBQ. That's a fairly dark bridge pickup, but it gets a nice hot-rodded PAF tone. I have one in my Carvin and it gets a nice grind going.
                              Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

Working...
                              X