Stainless Steel VS Nickel Strings

zerostreet

• Members

Anyone here have any experience in going from nickel strings to steel?

I have been having minor but annoying issues with my fingertips (splits, irritation, etc.) and my dermatologist thinks I may benefit from switching to stainless steel strings. He thinks I may have a slight allergy to nickel.

Not sure about his advice but I was wondering if anyone has made that switch? I use D'addario 10's and I see they have a steel set as well.

• Members

^^I use these too^^.I haven't tried SS but I hear they last a bit longer but

thats hearsay

According to D'addario they are a bit brighter than the nickel. Not much brighter according to the chart on their website. I only play at home so that is not much of an issue.

• Members

I prefer the Nickle and its probly just because I been using them for so long? IMO the SS are definatly brighter and last longer though.

I'm interested to hear what others think about the SS though?

I have used SS and other than sounding very bright, I didn't have any issues.

• Members

I have D'Addario stainless flatwounds on a couple of guitars. I think they really bring out the tone but they seem harder to play. Very stiff.

I love those things; they're turning on more and more guitars around here - but as you said, they're a little stiff. I get their extra light set, which is a 10-48 I think, and it's not too bad. The funny thing is they call them Chromes, when they're really stainless wrapped.

I've always heard that flatwounds were for jazz. Maybe it's the brightness of the stainless balancing the warmness of the flatwounds, but I like the D'Addarios just fine, and no jazz is played here.

Archived