Whats the deal with pickguards holes not lining up?

bluedevil0204

• Members

What I dont understand about replacing pickguards is a very simple question.

Why do people not really worry about if the holes line up or not? Personally I am about to change my pick guard on my am std tele and I would not put one on if the holes did not line up.

I guess if the holes do not line up you just drill another hole in the body for where the hole in the pickguard is and not drill another hole in the pick guard to line up with the whole that is already in the body. Correct me if I am wrong.

Personally for the sake of keeping the guitar with as little holes as possible I would probably drill a new hole in the pickguard to save drilling a hole in the body.

I mean it seems to me this is not a big deal to people when it happen. It would be a big deal to me because it seems to me the holes could be standardized on the fenders to all be the same. I understand if it was another off brand and they didnt line up then it would be different.

let me know what yall think about this!

• Members

If the holes didnt match up, I'll just put a new hole in the body. The new pickguard would cover it up anyway.

I have a MIM Fender Strat with an aftermarket tortoise HH 'guard on it, lucky for me the holes lined up perfectly. If they didn't, I woulda just put new holes in the body, no one would ever know.

I had a MIA a while back, same deal- I put an black pearloid 'guard on it and the holes lined up perfectly as well. Again- if they didnt I would of put new holes in the body for the 'guard to fit.

• Members

Personally for the sake of keeping the guitar with as little holes as possible I would probably drill a new hole in the pickguard to save drilling a hole in the body.

You would drill another hole in the pickguard to line up with the original hole? Ha! I hope you have x-ray eyes, superman. Plus, that would look just great. What would you do with the original hole and what if they are all off a half-hole off like they usually are? It's going to look like a middle school shop project run amok by the time it's done.

If you are trying to protect a guitar's originality, why change the pickguard in the first place? Put it away, don't play it and don't mod it if you are collecting it.

An extra hole under the pickguard isn't going to change the value of a guitar unless it is a rare historic or collectible.

• Members

I had a MIA a while back, same deal- I put an black pearloid 'guard on it and the holes lined up perfectly as well. Again- if they didnt I would of put new holes in the body for the 'guard to fit.

Yea but you would know.

In my situation I am the only one that I care about how the guitar looks to me. {censored} other people!:thu:

• Members

Why do people not really worry about if the holes line up or not?

let me know what yall think about this!

they have guitars that they like, and don't want to see the resale value plummet.

i saw a guy on ebay lose 800-1000 on a sl2ht in chlorine blue because he'd wanted new tuners, and drilled new holes for them into the headstock - STUPID!

it's like peppering a rear bumper on a mercedes benz with campaign stickers - STUPID!

• Members

You would drill another hole in the pickguard to line up with the original hole?
Ha! I hope you have x-ray eyes, superman.
Plus, that would look just great. What would you do with the original hole and what if they are all off a half-hole off like they usually are? It's going to look like a middle school shop project run amok by the time it's done.

If you are trying to protect a guitar's originality, why change the pickguard in the first place? Put it away, don't play it and don't mod it if you are collecting it.

An extra hole under the pickguard isn't going to change the value of a guitar unless it is a rare historic or collectible.

Your apparently just want to argue so im just going to agree with you and nod my head so you might just keep on walking by.

have a good day...superman.:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

• Members

they have guitars that they like, and don't want to see the resale value plummet.

i saw a guy on ebay lose 800-1000 on a sl2ht in chlorine blue because he'd wanted new tuners, and drilled new holes for them into the headstock - STUPID!

it's like peppering a rear bumper on a mercedes benz with campaign stickers - STUPID!

I agree. I hate havingextra holes. It is just ugly!

• Members

You would drill another hole in the pickguard to line up with the original hole? Ha! I hope you have x-ray eyes, superman. Plus, that would look just great. What would you do with the original hole and what if they are all off a half-hole off like they usually are? It's going to look like a middle school shop project run amok by the time it's done.

You could use the original pickguard as a template for the holes. Sometimes if the hole is only a little off you could cause problems drilling next to an exsiting hole.

• Members

The old pickguard or a paperboard template to get it right the first time on a nice/expensive guitar.

I've opted to fill old holes with quality white birch (toothpicks) and Elmer's glue and then drill new holes...this approach works for the pesky 1/2 hole off problems stated above.

• Members

Well, if it would really bother you to know there are one or two extra 1/6th inch holes under a pickguard designed to cover up extra holes, then don't do it. Lots of $100 Squiers don't have any extra holes.

But a lot of $50,000 50s and 60s Strats have extra holes under those pickguards and that sure wouldn't sway me away from drooling over them.

• Members

Anybody else noticed a certain hostility to build/assembly questions on this forum?

The guys who do lots of builds and have been here forever get away with their threads, but a few times now I've noticed disparaging remarks about "build" questions, and folks with honest questions being directed to other "builder" forums, with no dissent... the implication being that it isn't all that welcome here.

There seems to be an undercurrent of the attitude that this section is only for guitar BUYERS, modders and assemblers are just tolerated at best... and then maybe only if they do a giveaway every so often.

Love the deals, but to be honest, just buying stuff really isn't all that challenging.

There are several of us that love a good build, Frankenstrat, or mod thread. I read every one of them. But overall, yes the forum seems to have more fans of the new guitar day threads.

I haven't noticed an increase in hostility though.

• Members

I agree. I hate having extra holes. It is just ugly!

Likewise. Especially on a new guitar. On a beater I wouldn't care so much but have yet to drill any new pickguard holes.

I'll probably have to drill a few holes in a new Fiesta Red body as it was drilled for an 8 hole single ply pickguard. Since I want to make a '60s Partscaster with that body I'm going to have to drill some holes to get an 11 hole 3 ply pickguard onto it. They tend to lay flatter anyway.

• Members

Anybody else noticed a certain hostility to build/assembly questions on this forum?

The guys who do lots of builds and have been here forever get away with their threads, but a few times now I've noticed disparaging remarks about "build" questions, and folks with honest questions being directed to other "builder" forums, with no dissent... the implication being that it isn't all that welcome here.

There seems to be an undercurrent of the attitude that this section is only for guitar BUYERS, modders and assemblers are just tolerated at best... and then maybe only if they do a giveaway every so often.

Love the deals, but to be honest, just buying stuff really isn't all that challenging.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Anyone else notice a certain lack of sarcastic sensibilities by some in this forum?

It's as if this forum ISN'T a bunch of guitar geeks getting together to hang out and shoot the {censored}, exchange some useful info, and throw around some good natured jokes and insults.

If people want only reality and seriousness go to work or school, don't come here to teh internets where most of us seem to be trying to get away from all that uptight {censored}.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

• Members

thats the way to go right there!

Thats great, but drilling holes in a plastic pickguard is more trouble. You have to countersink right?

I would just drill some new holes in the guitar. The really prickley dealy is when the holes almost match and drilling new holes is counterproductive.

• Members

I've had good results replacing Fender Am. Std. strat pickguards with Fender brand guards made for Am. Std. guitars. I've done this 4 or 5 times and never had to drill new holes. Whenever I've used aftermarket guards, I've had to drill some new holes. If you buy a Fender PG for an Am. Std. you'll probably be fine, but you will pay more...

• Members

Interesting thought.

Ok, so... if you've GOT an old pickguard, you just line it up for the new holes you need to drill, but what if you don't? Like, buying a body off of eBay? Interesting challenge.

I can see an elaborate jig for a drill press working, clamp the entire body in place so that the bit lines up with the hole, then put the pickguard in place, the bit will touch the right spot, but that's a LOT of work.

Maybe make up a cardbord template, lay it over the body, puncture though the cardboard at the holes, and use that? Hmmm...

Yeah, it's a bit of work. As you said, you can either match them up with the old one, or you can use a mounted drill machine, like I did. Nothing fancy. It's quite common. But as the other guy said you have to drill in 2 sizes, the hole and the place for the heads of the screws to sink into. I used 2mm drills first to be sure the holes were exactly lined up, then 3mm drill for the actual holes, then made a slight hole in the top layer of the pickguard with a 5.5mm drill. (This was on a Tele PG). The dimensions on Gibsons are different I presume.

• Members

If you're worried about resale value, then you're already deciding you'll likely not keep the guitar, so why buy it in the first place? If it's something you're planning on keeping forever, resale value should have no influence whatsoever.

If you're worried about emergencies and needing some extra cash in the future, take the money and put it into a savings account, or a savings bond or something a little less risky than a guitar.

• Members

What's all this about drilling holes? My ass is too lazy to even do that. I just take a small phillips screwdriver and insert it into the pickguard hole and push it into the finish of the guitar. It makes just enough of a hole to get the screw started. And the screws hold nice and tight with no strippage.

Archived