Ibanez Artstar AS-80 (335 style) value

tincob

• Members

I have a lead on a clean Ibanez Artstar AS-80.

Both pups were replaced with SD Pearly Gates - which I've had good experiences with so it's not a negative for me.

It has the narrow headstock, not the tulip style so it seems like they are the older MIK series with the Gibson mickey mouse style ears rather than the more modern redesigned ears.

Included is the Ibanez hardcase.

He's not budging off his $300 asking price.

I've read the archives and people seem to like their AS-80. Should I run to buy it or can I get a better deal?

I like semi-hollows and I was waiting on the right bargain to come along.

Should I hit it?

I just bought a Brownsville Impala today (wait for the NGD thread). I don't need another guitar unless it's a bargain.

• Members

Run to buy it. Don't wait. The ones with the smaller headstock, I like better than the tulip ones. They are the first run of AS-80's.

With the pick-up upgrade you should not hesitate. I owned that exact guitar and it was head and shoulders above anything in it's price range for a semi-hollow.

I'm a big, big, fan of the Korean AS-80's.

• Members

I guess the non-original pups won't detract from the value, especially if they are SD pups...

What would be the going price for a completely stock first run MIK Artstar AS-80? Ebay didn't have any of the first runs.

My guess would be anywhere from $400 to $550 for an excellent condition stock early AS-80. The fact that yours has SD pick-ups is a benefit IMO, since the early run models from 19994-1995 have unpotted Super 58 pick-ups, and they can squeal terribly under higher gain settings. The later AS-80 used waxed potted pick-ups.

If you pass on this one, let me know and link me to the ad, I might e-mail the guy and see if he ever gets into my area (Philly/NJ) and maybe I could meet up with him.

• Members

Instead of a starting another NGD thread, I'm just going to add to this one.

Patience is a virtue, especially if you're an impatient guitar monger (aren't we all).

So I held off from jumping on the deal and eventually talked the seller down a little bit more to $270.

Both Pearly Gates are split via the push pull pots in the volume positions. This is one rocking semi-hollow! No jazz machine, this - although if I back off the tone, it'll smooth out. Too bad, I can't play any jazz.

I used to have a Washburn HB30 with upgraded SD pups (JB in the neck, PG in the bridge) and the upgraded pups really brought the cheaper semi-hollow alive. It's the same case here. With the ability to split both pups, it really adds a lot of versatility to the tone.

I don't quite get the true single coil sound but it's good enough for me. I have the same ability on my Yamaha SBG1200 humbuckers.

So enough talking. Here are the pics:

The narrower headstock of the first MIK Artstars

CIMG0365.jpg

The first series of MIK Artstars also had the Mickey Mouse ears

CIMG0362.jpg

Upgraded Pearly Gates pups

CIMG0363.jpg

It's missing the pickguard (I'll have to buy one and the bracket)

CIMG0360.jpg

It came with the OEM hardcase & shroud

CIMG0357.jpg

Let's see if this is a keeper. I still have GAS for a Yamaha SA2200. :facepalm:

• Members

You got a great deal on that AS-80. I had an AS-120 for a short time, and it was a great guitar (I just didn't bond with it - me and 335-style guitars never seem to really hit it off). The AS-80 is just as good a player IMO. HNGD!
:thu:

Thanks Ellen.

Your Baby thread convinced me to shoot for a JetGlo Rickenbacker 360. I've been saving up to buy a used one but this deal came along and I fell for it.

I hope to find a good deal on a Rick 360 some time this year. If I fall short on cash, I may have to flip this for a little profit. My ultimate 335-style semi is a Yamaha SA2200.

Archived