replaing toggle switch in Epi Les Paul?

chris leslie

• Members

Wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to replace the toggle switch in my Epiphone Les Paul and have a few questions:

1. Does the Epiphone Les Paul standard take the long style switch or the short one?

2. Does the switch have one lug or two on the side that takes the black wire?

I do have a spare Switchcraft long style switch lying around but it has two lugs on one side and three on the other: I'm not sure if this is right for an epiphone Les Paul.

Thanks!

• Members

personally I'd contact Gibson / Epiphone and get the exact replacement switch for your model. There's two different switches from what I can tell for Gibson guitars; the "L" type and the straight type. I think the Les Pauls use the straight (long) switch like this one...

http://store.gibson.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx/en-us/hardware/switches/psts-020

I'd just open up your Epi and take a pic of your switch and which wires go to which lug and mark them with tape if you have to then take out the old plug and reinstall the new one. Should be a fairly easy job. I found out the hard way that you should always take a pic of the part of the circuit you're working on before you start soldering. Saves a lot of hassle later.

• Members

Wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to replace the toggle switch in my Epiphone Les Paul and have a few questions:

1. Does the Epiphone Les Paul standard take the long style switch or the short one?

2. Does the switch have one lug or two on the side that takes the black wire?

I do have a spare Switchcraft long style switch lying around but it has two lugs on one side and three on the other: I'm not sure if this is right for an epiphone Les Paul.

Thanks!

BTW you could use that Switchcraft, matter of fact you should. They are Top of the Line Switchs.

• Members

?

Apparently so. I pulled the back plate off my Epi G-400, and it uses the same vertical switch as my LP. The switch in the LP is identical to a Switchcraft, but it has 'Epiphone' stamped on it. The only time I've had to use the L-shaped switch was in the horn of a semi-hollow.

• Members

EP-4369-000.jpg

This is more than likely a switch for a black beauty/3 pickup guitar.

It has more contacts at the bottom to handle the added wires that have to be connected. The SG custom also reqiures a special 6 contact switch as well, the angled type. (I know because I had to buy one.)

• Members

EP-4369-000.jpg

This is more than likely a switch for a black beauty/3 pickup guitar.

It has more contacts at the bottom to handle the added wires that have to be connected. The SG custom also reqiures a special 6 contact switch as well, the angled type. (I know because I had to buy one.)

Yep, it is. They have the wrong pic on the website. There is a standard 3 way toggle that is long like that one though.

Archived