Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replaing toggle switch in Epi Les Paul?

Wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to replace the toggle switch in my Epiphone Les Paul and have a few questions:

1. Does the Epiphone Les Paul standard take the long style switch or the short one?

2. Does the switch have one lug or two on the side that takes the black wire?

I do have a spare Switchcraft long style switch lying around but it has two lugs on one side and three on the other: I'm not sure if this is right for an epiphone Les Paul.

Thanks!

personally I'd contact Gibson / Epiphone and get the exact replacement switch for your model. There's two different switches from what I can tell for Gibson guitars; the "L" type and the straight type. I think the Les Pauls use the straight (long) switch like this one...

http://store.gibson.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx/en-us/hardware/switches/psts-020

I'd just open up your Epi and take a pic of your switch and which wires go to which lug and mark them with tape if you have to then take out the old plug and reinstall the new one. Should be a fairly easy job. I found out the hard way that you should always take a pic of the part of the circuit you're working on before you start soldering. Saves a lot of hassle later.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent" - Thomas Jefferson

"There are two types of people - those that come into a room and say, 'Well, here I am!' and those who come in and say, 'Ah, there you are.' - Frederick L Collins

"Stop googling your answers and think like a man" - WhiteOp

Comment

I think thinner guitars like the SG use the "L" type.
      Member of the SG ARMY

In rock n roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia.

Member of the Epiphone Empire

Member of the Squier Army

Toes are in my fingers.

Highballs are on me.

Genuflecting is the evolution of an ostrich.

Shining in the half-hidden face of Electra.

My Flickr Account

Comment

I think you're gonna want the long shaft, straight type.
        Some original songs...

And some cover tunes...

Comment

WD Relacments are a Good Blade 3-way switch equal if not better than Gibbys and cost $15.00. Why pay double cause its a Gibson bult in China switch?
          Damn Right I got the BLUE'S

Ordinary . CAN BE . EXTRAORDINARY.. follow your DREAM!

Comment

Exactly SG angled, LP Straight up and down.

Comment

Wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to replace the toggle switch in my Epiphone Les Paul and have a few questions:

1. Does the Epiphone Les Paul standard take the long style switch or the short one?

2. Does the switch have one lug or two on the side that takes the black wire?

I do have a spare Switchcraft long style switch lying around but it has two lugs on one side and three on the other: I'm not sure if this is right for an epiphone Les Paul.

Thanks!

BTW you could use that Switchcraft, matter of fact you should. They are Top of the Line Switchs.

Comment

Thank you very much guys, much appreciated. I can get going with this now!

Comment

Dude, don't pull some answer out of your ass if you don't KNOW what you are talking about (unless they're asking for an opinion). The Epi SG (G-400) switch is not angled.
                  Great deals: DammitJanet, Parrothd_Mark, Mueller, Blueshawk1, Leopardstar, D34dBaWx, vangkm, tincob, djfrank, DracoAran, drawdeep, eor, _pete_, Snoman97, prsnstrat, GuitarNoobie, Shawn Parr,TheSuperFox, Alley Trash, mikew, darkmonohue, GAS Man, tweedledee, asdfjkl semi, EllenGtrGrl, jdpkeeper, TattooedCarrot, maximuskatana, bluedevil0204, Gilgators, Mark Nason, GarysBlues, silverring233, Yavin, darkmonohue, Bluesman001, Stress Relief, bluesrock70's, yem, OsirisProtocol, Altgtr33, Rocktoe

Comment

Didn't catch that. I have seen both the L shape and the Verticle Blades by WD, Switchcraft, Gibson and a few others. But I never realized they made a long and short version of the [Verticle 3-way Blade]?

Comment

?

Apparently so. I pulled the back plate off my Epi G-400, and it uses the same vertical switch as my LP. The switch in the LP is identical to a Switchcraft, but it has 'Epiphone' stamped on it. The only time I've had to use the L-shaped switch was in the horn of a semi-hollow.
                      Great deals: DammitJanet, Parrothd_Mark, Mueller, Blueshawk1, Leopardstar, D34dBaWx, vangkm, tincob, djfrank, DracoAran, drawdeep, eor, _pete_, Snoman97, prsnstrat, GuitarNoobie, Shawn Parr,TheSuperFox, Alley Trash, mikew, darkmonohue, GAS Man, tweedledee, asdfjkl semi, EllenGtrGrl, jdpkeeper, TattooedCarrot, maximuskatana, bluedevil0204, Gilgators, Mark Nason, GarysBlues, silverring233, Yavin, darkmonohue, Bluesman001, Stress Relief, bluesrock70's, yem, OsirisProtocol, Altgtr33, Rocktoe

Comment

?

Either one will work on an Epi LP but you will need one of these deep thread nuts:
                        My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
                        PRS CE24 w/ piezo
                        Floyd LP
                        Fender Stratocaster
                        Lucero classical
                        Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

This is more than likely a switch for a black beauty/3 pickup guitar.
                          It has more contacts at the bottom to handle the added wires that have to be connected. The SG custom also reqiures a special 6 contact switch as well, the angled type. (I know because I had to buy one.)
                          60's Classic Vibe Jazz Bass
                          Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass
                          Acoustic B200/115
                          Sansamp DI/Boss TU-3
                          Marshall MGHDFX-100/a
                          Digitech RP-355

Comment

Just a suggestion to the OP.
                            Since you'll be in there any way, why not change out the pots, caps and plug while you're at it?
                            CTS pots, Switchcraft toggle switch and jack, Orange drop caps FTW.

You can get everything you need here and most of the produscts are well explained.
                            http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_index.htm

Comment

Dude, don't pull some answer out of your ass if you don't KNOW what you are talking about (unless they're asking for an opinion). The Epi SG (G-400) switch is not angled.

Dude, calm down. I'm just passing on what what I've been told. It's not like it's hip replacment surgery.
                              Member of the SG ARMY

In rock n roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia.

Member of the Epiphone Empire

Member of the Squier Army

Toes are in my fingers.

Highballs are on me.

Genuflecting is the evolution of an ostrich.

Shining in the half-hidden face of Electra.

My Flickr Account

Comment

Working...
                              X