$500 for a ProTone Squier Tele?

docjeffrey

• Members

Really? Are they THAT good.

I'm in the market for an early to mid 80's Squier Tele and I stumbled across the late 90's Pro Tone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320331301962&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Can someone fix the link for me if it doesn't work? I never understand how those ebay URL's work.

• Members

start deleting from the end of the url, backwards to the '&' after the item number.

Should read ...ebayisapi.dll?viewitem=xxxxxxxxx

can also be viewitem&item=xxxxxxxxxxxx

If it's the new urls that are the title of the auction, forget it.

and no, I don't think so.

• Members

I had one and it was a really great guitar if you like a thin neck. The build quality was excellent, but $500 seems a bit excessive considering how great the new Vintage Vibe 50s Tele is, which is $299 and just as good, IMHO. Then again, I bought mine for $200 and when I put it on eBay with a no reserve auction it sold for $500, which seemed insane to me.

The negatives are the cheap box switch and the neck humbucker is a bit muddy.

Here are some photos of the one I used to own. I swapped the pickguard because I didn't like the red one, but otherwise it was all original.

protone5.jpg

protone7.jpg

ptandamp1.jpg

• Members

I'm in the market for an early to mid 80's Squier Tele and I stumbled across the late 90's Pro Tone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320331301962&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Can someone fix the link for me if it doesn't work? I never understand how those ebay URL's work.

This is one that actually SOLD recently...much more realistic (under $300).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270324820362

:)

• Members

By the way, I am still looking for an '83 -- '85 MIJ Squier Tele, blond with white guard. All original. And I'm willing to pay slightly more than it lists for in the vintage gear guides if it's in decent shape.

My wife bought me one for Valentine's day in '85. I sold it to pay for my '86 MIA Tele 52 RI. I've felt terrible for all of these years because she worked really hard to find it for me. We had been to a concert and I pointed out the blond/white tele that someone on the stage (Waddy Wachtel?) had. She spent weeks trying to find one for me and surprised me with it. I would like to return the favor. I still have the Randall amp that she bought with the guitar, so I'm going to dust it down and drag it up from the basement.

I may go with this one. The black guard is probably not original. $500.

photo1_d61f5-Original.jpg

• Members

By the way, I am still looking for an '83 -- '85 MIJ Squier Tele, blond with white guard. All original. And I'm willing to pay slightly more than it lists for in the vintage gear guides if it's in decent shape.

My wife bought me one for Valentine's day in '85. I sold it to pay for my '86 MIA Tele 52 RI. I've felt terrible for all of these years because she worked really hard to find it for me. We had been to a concert and I pointed out the blond/white tele that someone on the stage (Waddy Wachtel?) had. She spent weeks trying to find one for me and surprised me with it. I would like to return the favor. I still have the Randall amp that she bought with the guitar, so I'm going to dust it down and drag it up from the basement.

I may go with this one. The black guard is probably not original. $500.

photo1_d61f5-Original.jpg

That looks so much like my '74 MIJ Aims Tele-style (Matsumoku?) that it's scary.

• Members

I bought a Squier pro tone strat. I wanted a guitar that I would keep in C tuning and I didn't want to sacrifice any of the gear I already had. Instead of buying a $2,000 guitar I bought a guitar for $100 and had it repainted, DiMarzio pickups installed, and added an original Floyd Rose.

It's a good guitar for the money. It stays in C tuning

• Members

PLUS $87.90 for shipping! :eek:

• Members

Just noticed there's one for sale semi-locally (about 70 miles away) for $200 so far. But it's been kinda hacked. it has the original pickguard, but has a standard sized single coil in the neck HB position and a Dimarzio in the bridge position.

• Members

I owned a Pro Tone Strat for awhile and it was a really nice guitar. The pickups were a bit weak, but it played really smoothly and was obviously a quality made guitar. I sold it to a guy in Finland and he loved it as well.

I think $500.00 is too much to pay though...

• Members

Just noticed there's one for sale semi-locally (about 70 miles away) for $200 so far. But it's been kinda hacked. it has the original pickguard, but has a standard sized single coil in the neck HB position and a Dimarzio in the bridge position.

Aftermarket pickguards fit just fine, if you wanted to revert it to 3 single coils. These guitars are a great platform for pickup-swapping.

Archived