$500 for a ProTone Squier Tele?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500 for a ProTone Squier Tele?

Really? Are they THAT good.

I'm in the market for an early to mid 80's Squier Tele and I stumbled across the late 90's Pro Tone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320331301962&indexURL= 0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Can someone fix the link for me if it doesn't work? I never understand how those ebay URL's work.

start deleting from the end of the url, backwards to the '&' after the item number.
    Should read ...ebayisapi.dll?viewitem=xxxxxxxxx

can also be viewitem&item=xxxxxxxxxxxx

If it's the new urls that are the title of the auction, forget it.

and no, I don't think so.
    DC in DC

Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco

DIY, the ultimate in wankery. Actually, wankery is the ultimate in DIY.

SPAM: My eBay Auctions!

My Good Dealings with, SPAM Thread, & Signature Quotes post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

Comment

The only Squier I'd ever pay over $400 for would be another Super-Sonic.
      I made the mistake of including the name of the band I was in at the time I started my account here, but a lot of my friends really do call me "gibby"...
      My guitfiddle vidyas
      Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Gibby McFender
      Good trades with: jnapruitt, jelloman, emptyparadigm, teleman, atrox, Norcal_Gtr, Cale 76, Moops, Fart Murphy, gutterking, npidge, shimrod69, HickorySMOKES

bassist for Fools For Rowan. Check us out!

Comment

I have a friend who owns one of those. They are outstanding. Since they quit making them, I can see why their price is going up.
        My Gear:
        2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
        2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
        Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
        2006 Fender American 60th Anniv. P-Bass
        Takamine acoustic

Comment

I had one and it was a really great guitar if you like a thin neck. The build quality was excellent, but $500 seems a bit excessive considering how great the new Vintage Vibe 50s Tele is, which is $299 and just as good, IMHO. Then again, I bought mine for $200 and when I put it on eBay with a no reserve auction it sold for $500, which seemed insane to me.

The negatives are the cheap box switch and the neck humbucker is a bit muddy.

Here are some photos of the one I used to own. I swapped the pickguard because I didn't like the red one, but otherwise it was all original.

Good transactions: warriorpoet, lowbrow, Puckman, BlackHatHunter, DracoAran, brianeharmonjr, natasmi, id-man, nbabmf, Splendor, angelhair0, d_dave_c, dcindc (x2), dogbone94, chiro972, coolwaterz, Radiohead, lol (x2), roadscholar, Hammer97e, teleman, torgeot, metalhead666666, zakadams, tincob, Doctor Morbius, HanSolo, danhauk, bennnintexas, Overwhelmed987, The Bear, 9-Pin-Phoenix, Dmerge, D34dBaWx, TomCray, Timmott, Tupelo Son, dogfish, ae3753, Gearhunter, virtuzoso, Meowy, RooSTER-b, mrbrown49

Comment

I have a bunch of Protones, and didn't pay more than $250 for any of 'em.

"I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Really? Are they THAT good.

I'm in the market for an early to mid 80's Squier Tele and I stumbled across the late 90's Pro Tone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320331301962&indexURL= 0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Can someone fix the link for me if it doesn't work? I never understand how those ebay URL's work.

This is one that actually SOLD recently...much more realistic (under $300).
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270324820362

"I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

^^I knew there was someone around here who had a bunch of them.

If this one goes for 5 large, you're looking at $3000 on that sofa. Sweet. 100% profit.

Comment

By the way, I am still looking for an '83 -- '85 MIJ Squier Tele, blond with white guard. All original. And I'm willing to pay slightly more than it lists for in the vintage gear guides if it's in decent shape.

My wife bought me one for Valentine's day in '85. I sold it to pay for my '86 MIA Tele 52 RI. I've felt terrible for all of these years because she worked really hard to find it for me. We had been to a concert and I pointed out the blond/white tele that someone on the stage (Waddy Wachtel?) had. She spent weeks trying to find one for me and surprised me with it. I would like to return the favor. I still have the Randall amp that she bought with the guitar, so I'm going to dust it down and drag it up from the basement.

I may go with this one. The black guard is probably not original. $500.

Comment

By the way, I am still looking for an '83 -- '85 MIJ Squier Tele, blond with white guard. All original. And I'm willing to pay slightly more than it lists for in the vintage gear guides if it's in decent shape.

My wife bought me one for Valentine's day in '85. I sold it to pay for my '86 MIA Tele 52 RI. I've felt terrible for all of these years because she worked really hard to find it for me. We had been to a concert and I pointed out the blond/white tele that someone on the stage (Waddy Wachtel?) had. She spent weeks trying to find one for me and surprised me with it. I would like to return the favor. I still have the Randall amp that she bought with the guitar, so I'm going to dust it down and drag it up from the basement.

I may go with this one. The black guard is probably not original. $500.

That looks so much like my '74 MIJ Aims Tele-style (Matsumoku?) that it's scary.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

That looks so much like my '74 MIJ Aims Tele-style (Matsumoku?) that it's scary.

They tried to blot out the serial # on the headstock. I could read it pretty easily and it's an '87. The ad says circa 1984.

Comment

Thats nothing...I saw one for sale for $2000 recently. Dont remember if it was Ebay or elsewhere, but DAMN
                        Good deals with:

LossForGain

Comment

Thats nothing...I saw one for sale for $2000 recently. Dont remember if it was Ebay or elsewhere, but DAMN

An asking price and a completed sale are two different things...

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Yeah, notice that right below the Buy It Now price of $500 is a 'Make Offer' button.

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

I had the Ash Fat Pro-Tone Tele. They went new for like $325. Thin neck but great Tone. $500 is high IMHO.
                              Damn Right I got the BLUE'S

Ordinary . CAN BE . EXTRAORDINARY.. follow your DREAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X