Tuner recommendations?

ashasha

• Members

I'm kind of tossed up between the Turbo Tuner and something by Peterson, anything out there that you like better or anything about either of these two that you don't like? I like the idea of something that I can do intonation with and am interested in tempered or sweetened tuning even though I am not that up to speed on it.

• Members

I like my Peterson StroboStomp a lot, but you should be aware that the Petersons have some quirks. I would recommend against them for stage use; the strobe display can sometimes be a little hard to read as it bounces around, not what one would want onstage, I would guess. The StroboStomp can have a lot of trouble resolving the signal from the high E--you have to turn the volume all the way up and use the neck pickup to get a reading. I would strongly recommend against a Peterson if your guitar has only a bridge pickup (assuming that this problem with the high E is an issue with the Peterson design, rather than just a quirk of the particular unit I have). The accuracy is great, but it does come at the cost of more cumbersome operation.

• Members
To my understanding, the Boss TU-2 stomp box is pretty much the industry standard. My $40 Rocktron pedal tuner works just fine for me though
:)

I used a Conn Strob Tunner for Years and Years, then everyone started going with the Stomp Box Tuners. I added the Boss TU-2 to my pedal board. It's been pretty cool to be able to tune inbetween songs without having to, un-plug and plug into the Strobe.
It is finiky sometimes, and I havn't figured out the whys yet.

• Members

How about the Pewaves JPT-10, anyone tried one of those out? I can't seem to find any real specs on it.

It also appears that the turbo tuner is the only 'true' strobe tuner; the others are virtual strobe tuners. What the difference is I have no idea. :confused:

• Members

I use a Peterson VS-1 all the time while gigging and it works great. It also is accurate enough to set intonation. It works just fine on a bridge pickup. In fact, it seems to work best on the bridge pickups of my strat and 335s. I can see it just fine on stage. The newer ones with the blue lighting are even brighter. I have no complaints with it other than it's a bit big.

I bought it before they came out with the Strobostomp, and it does not have a hardwired bypass. I use a Morley ABY if I'm playing outdoors so I can tune silently and quickly between songs if needed. I don't bother when playing indoors because my guitars stay in tune just fine and I check them between sets.

I would not hesitate to buy a Strobostomp or VS tuner. I don't know anything about the competing tuner shown above, though.

• Members

This really cannot be emphasized enough.

seriously.

the only thing that gets me is that there's no green LED in the center that tells you you're in-tune, like on my Korg. the trail just stops moving. but the proof is in the pudding, that thing tracks better than any other tuner out there. good video.

• Members

After some more thought and research I am pretty sure that the turbo tuner is the one I am going to go with in the end. Like you guys said the tracking is just head and shoulders above everything else and it's cheaper than most of the 'virtual' strobe tuners out there.

• Members

the Turbo Tuner really does look impressive. it's got a lot of the same features as the StroboStomp that I really like. the note detection speed is pretty great, but i that seems like a lot of flash. i don't know anyone who would be tuning strings that goddamn fast.

I think the only feature that both the Turbo Tuner and SS (and SS2) don't have that i might like a bit is a mic for acoustic tuning. but i am dealing without.

if my SS2 took a {censored}, I would definitely consider replacing it with a Turbo Tuner. it's sleek and looks like it may be potentially accurate enough to set intonation.

• Members
seriously.

the only thing that gets me is that there's no green LED in the center that tells you you're in-tune, like on my Korg. the trail just stops moving. but the proof is in the pudding, that thing tracks better than any other tuner out there. good video.

Seems to me that the "trail stops moving" is a pretty clear indicator of it being in tune, no? :confused:

• Members
yes. i'd just like it to stop in the center. that said, its clearly better than the Strobostomp. i'd want to play one before i bought it, but i think that its something i could get used to.

I hear yah. Had never heard of them before, but they seem to be accurate, easy to use, & affordable. May have to pony up for one meself.:thu:

• Members
i've been looking into the PitchBlack, but after seeing that video i'm inclined to think otherwise.

I'm on dialup so I haven't watched the video. Why would you reconsider your initial choice exactly ? The music store here were out of stock so I don't have one right now, that's why I'm curious.

Archived