I left my guitar in the cold. DAMAGE!

JordanPemberton

• Members

So, I have a house in Louisville, KY, where I mainly stay, and I went down to my house in Knoxville, TN, to visit.

I left yesterday at 8 AM, and had played it Friday night around 11 PM for an hour.

It has been a consistant -8 degrees, at night, matter of fact, our roads are iced, and we are having a blizzard come through, and no one can leave their house, literally.

So, it has been damn cold.

I left my new JEM7VWH in it's thick and fluffy Prestige case, in my basement (It's a finished basement (walkout)) from 11 PM friday night, until now 11 PM Sunday night.

So 48 hours, of being in the basement (level to ground as well), at -8, but in it's case.

I just had it set-up Friday, so it had the truss rod and everything else recently altered.

Now it is still in the case, but I laid it on top of my bed.

BOTTOM LINE, did it hurt it being like that untouched for 2 days in those conditions?

It won't happen again. Just wondering as of right now.

• Members

As far as I know keeping a guitar in a fluffy padded case or throwing a blanket on the case will not stop the guitar from getting cold. I have seen this suggested a few times. The reason blankets keep people warm is because they insulate our body heat. A guitar has no body heat to insulate.

Is it -8 in your basement? As long as it's at least in the high 50's low 60's down there I doubt you hurt it, but it's definitely not good to move it back and forth between the basement and the upstairs, especially if the temps are drastically different. Leave it sit for a day in the upstairs temp before you mess with it.

• Members

No, the basement is at like 71, and the second and third levels ar at like 72 73.

It's just the metal clips on the case were cold to the touch, and the body and trem were a little cold too.

The house is brand new and extremely energy sufficiant, so it is insulated very very well.

A couple of degrees difference especially if we are talking temps in the 70's isn't going to hurt anything.

• Members

Why do you guys think cold hurts a guitar so bad. Can you tell me of some damage you have seen done because a guitar got cold?

They fly them back and forth across the US, Canada the world. all the time.

It is freezing up there.

It's -20 here regularly and I have never seen anyone say something happened to their guiar becasue it got cold.

• Members

A couple of degrees difference especially if we are talking temps in the 70's isn't going to hurt anything.

Yeah, I mean, it's withen a couple degrees, it's just sitting there with no one playing it, especially with the temp going from like 30 something to -8 outside, it just was a little cold, from not being played, it just got set up, I just didn't know if it would hurt it from the set up then not beeing played for 2days, just sitting there.

it wasn't freezing, just cold to the touch.

• Members

No, the basement is at like 71, and the second and third levels ar at like 72 73.

It's just the metal clips on the case were cold to the touch, and the body and trem were a little cold too.

The house is brand new and extremely energy sufficiant, so it is insulated very very well.

Huh? One minute you said your guitar was in the basement being exposed to -8 temperature, and now you say it was 71. What was it, -8 or 71?

If it was 71, then why did you start this thread? Shock value?

:confused::rolleyes:

• Members

Why do you guys think cold hurts a guitar so bad. Can you tell me of some damage you have seen done because a guitar got cold?

I t is freezing up there.

It's -20 here regularly and I have never seen anyone say something happened to their guiar becasue it got cold.

thermal expansion.. and the differing rates at which all of the materials composing a guitar contract and expand.

• Members

I think it's fine, just starting to get paranoid about my gear... the cold, I watched a national geographic this week about temperature and wood and metal.

It just freeked me out.

:poke:

Don't sweat it. I'm sure the tree your guitar came from saw colder than -8 temps.

:cool:

• Members

Huh? One minute you said your guitar was in the basement being exposed to -8 temperature, and now you say it was 71. What was it, -8 or 71?

If it was 71, then why did you start this thread? Shock value?

:confused::rolleyes:

-8 OUTSIDE,

The winter storm hit, which makes the ground colder, which was where my guitar was, given there is burbor carpet, and 71 or so, i just didnt know if it would hurt it.

with the recent set up and all!

• Members

Guitars used to have nitrocellulose finishes which would crack like crazy when exposed to rapid temperature changes. This was thought to be unsightly and undesirable. Now, of course, there are whole message boards dedicated to making brand new $3000 guitars look like that.

It is freezing up there.

• Members

It is freezing up there.

Yeah...I've gigged during -30 weather here in Calgary and I had no problems (tube amps, acoustics and all)...not even with the drum heads.

:idk:

I might be a little worried if I had something nitro finished though, it can check at cold temps.

• Members

It is freezing up there.

Getting cold does not necessarily hurt it. It's when it gets cold and warms too quickly (and vice versa) that damage can occur. Finish cracks and warping are but two problems that are caused by this.

• Members

You got a piture?

I dont, but if youve ever seen cracks in the finish or binding of a guitar, thats what its from. The wood expanding/ contracting faster then the finish is contracting/expanding. You have to let the guitar slowly get cold or warm so that wont happen.

• Members

Getting cold does not necessarily hurt it. It's when it gets cold and warms too quickly (and vice versa) that damage can occur. Finish cracks and warping are but two problems that are caused by this.

Maybe but I have never seen it. Hit it with a hair dryer as soon as you open the case may get results. You would think to warp would take moisture more than cold.

Archived