Guitar Center going out of business! Shutting its doors Sunday! Liquidation this W/E

guitarman3001

• Members

Ok, not really, but now you know how I felt.... I'm driving home this afternoon and my gf calls me and says "Hey, I just heard on the radio that GC is closing its doors and liquidating all their {censored} this weekend! Get your ass over there and see if they have any deals worth it for you!"

I drive home the rest of the way with visions of 300.00 epiphone goldtop LPs with P90s and 100.00 VS Jeckyl/Hyde pedals going through my head....run to my door.... fly to their website, only to find "This is it

• Members

Dude, you've got a girlfriend who
encourages
you to spend money on guitar stuff...

I would count my blessings.

Oh I'm not complaining about that. Was just a buzzkill to find out they weren't really closing and that the sale they were having was nothing more than their regular "non-sales".

• Members

I only buy stuff from them when they have a REALLY, REALLY good deal on something. I have alot of friends who work there. I am a proud supporter for local music shops.. and everyone else should do the same!

Bought the BBE pedals from them when they were $29. Got some Bx8a studio moniters for $100 a peice. Got a Wolfgang for $300. Man, I hate that place, but I can't pass up a good deal.

• Members

They have a "one time only" type sale every weekend.

All I hear on the radio is:

"This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Guitar Center's January liquidation event!!!!!"

"This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Guitar Center's second weekend in January liquidation event!!!!!"

"This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Guitar Center's daily, once-in-a-lifetime, happens sometimes when we're open...but usally every day....CRAZY aweSOME SALE SALE SALE SALE!!!!"

Get here before it's too. late.

Buy, buy, buy, buy.

Douchebags.

• Members

"This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Guitar Center's January liquidation event!!!!!"

"This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Guitar Center's second weekend in January liquidation event!!!!!"

"This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Guitar Center's daily, once-in-a-lifetime, happens sometimes when we're open...but usally every day....CRAZY aweSOME SALE SALE SALE SALE!!!!"

Buy, buy, buy, buy.

Douchebags.

No kidding...gets old quick.

• Members

Buy, buy, buy, buy.

Douchebags.

Yep. I just ignore their sales now. That's why when I heard "THEY'RE CLOSING FOR GOOD..."

I thought "FINALLY!!! MAYBE A REAL SALE!!!!!"

sadly, it was not to be. Just the end of the January clearance sale which should lead right into next week's "Holiday Overstock Blowout Sale...Lowest Prices Ever..blahblahblah...."

• Members

I have honestly never had anybody in a GC EVER tell me something informative about a product. They either lie, are mistaken about the facts, or just don't care.

It's sad, really.

It's no surprise their marketing strategy follows in the same fashion.

Thinking back as far as I can, I don't think I've ever had anyone in a GC tell me anything useful either.

• Members

Where I live, GC is right beside Best Buy, and that Best Buy opened up a music gear department recently. I went in there for the first time over the weekend, and it was amazing. I wanted to test the employees, so I asked questions that I already knew the answers to. They were professional, intelligent, informed and actually helpful! Everything that GC employees aren't, and without the attitude. Brand selection isn't as deep (no Ibanez, but they do have Parker..) but they seemed to have most bases covered. I won't be going back to GC for the forseeable future..

• Members

Guitar Center is only around because the little rich kids who go out and listen to the idiots there buy their stuff. That's who they rely on, stupid rich kids who buy guitars to look cool and never use them.

Or old guys like me who know what they want to buy, then use pricematching and reverse auction techniques to get those things at the very lowest price.

• Members

I've gotten quite lucky a few times at their bigger sales... the ones where they pass out a list before the doors open. Not only that, at later dates I was able to buy more of a couple the units I got great prices on at the same price. I've got a couple superb deals on things that weren't on "the list", Last big "list" sale I got an Ampeg SVT-410HLF speaker brand new still in the box for $450 + tax.

Then again, I have gone to "list" sales and nothing really tempted me.

I don't know what it takes to be viewed as a "good customer", but I'm confident that I spend more than the average bear annually there. I'm recognized by about half the employees and sometimes they do me some favors.

I am a good customer at a nearby local music store too, so I enthusiastically support the Mom & Pop store, but GC in Nashville is not like the horror stories I've seen here on the forum. I'm glad that they're here and I hope that their business is not in trouble. I believe that all music stores are feeling the effects of our economy in the {censored}ter. I hope that GC Nashville is spared. I thing the nearby M&P store will do okay. The owner has a helluva good business sense and does not overextend himself. If anyone can make it through, he can.

• Members

So has anyone gotten any decent deals during the supposed January Clearance Sale? Seems like the typical GC Blue Light Specials they have every other month.

I think I did alright on a CP Jazzmaster. I got a little bit more than a couple hundred bucks off of the price on the tag.

Archived