Does the guitar or amp make the bigger difference?

dyroot

• Members

Ive been playing guitar for almost 2 years now and have played on the same Ibanez SZ520 and 15W practice amp for the whole time. The guitar is not that bad, it was like a $500 guitar at the time and has some Duncan desgined pickups in it. Ive decided its time for a change, so which one should i upgrade, the guitar or the 15w amp? I have about $300 to spend on an amp.

• Members

It's really how they work together. A strat will sound a lot like a strat whether it's going through a DRRI or a Twin or a $100 Fender Frontman.

A guitar with an EMG 81 will sound kinds of metal through a Dual Rec, but will sound hopelessly harsh and pretty much like ass through the Frontman.

That same strat won't have a very full, meaty tone through that Dual Rec.

Having said that, if I had your setup, I'd absolutely be looking at replacing the amp LONG before the guitar. And maybe one or both pickups on the guitar to maybe tweak the tone of it. The 520 is a solid guitar.

What kind of music do you play the most?

• Members

Ive been playing guitar for almost 2 years now and have played on the same Ibanez SZ520 and 15W practice amp for the whole time. The guitar is not that bad, it was like a $500 guitar at the time and has some Duncan desgined pickups in it. Ive decided its time for a change, so which one should i upgrade, the guitar or the 15w amp? I have about $300 to spend on an amp.

The SZ520 is a really nice guitar and it is waaaaay better than your 15W amp is capable of showing off. You'd be a lot better off keeping your SZ and dropping three bills on a decent low watt tube or hybrid amp. Everyone and their cousin has an opinion on what amp to get but it would be hard to go past a Fender Super Champ XD for that sort of money.

• Members

If the guitar is not holding you back and you like it, I'd upgrade my amp first. Most small solid state amps don't have very good tone (either clean or distorted), and I suspect you'll get a much bigger upgrade in tone by upgrading your amp first. Better tone and more tone options hopefully will inspire you to play more. However, I would wait to upgrade until you can spend enough money to get what you want, or at least get a major improvement. That said, $300 bucks might be enough to get a decent used tube amp in this market. It won't really be enough if you go new. Check out your nearest big city's Craigslist. Do you have friend that knows amps that can help you shop?

• Members

I'm with most of the above. Start with what the sound comes out of. It doesn't matter if you have a $3000 PRS, if played through a crap amp......it'll sound like crap. A good amp can make even a crappy guitar sound decent. BTW, I love the Ibanez SZ line. My favorite guitar. Look for a good low wattage tube amp. I would forgoe the modellers and such.

• Members

It's really how they work together. A strat will sound a lot like a strat whether it's going through a DRRI or a Twin or a $100 Fender Frontman.

A guitar with an EMG 81 will sound kinds of metal through a Dual Rec, but will sound hopelessly harsh and pretty much like ass through the Frontman.

Having said that, if I had your setup, I'd absolutely be looking at replacing the amp LONG before the guitar. And maybe one or both pickups on the guitar to maybe tweak the tone of it. The 520 is a solid guitar.

Best advice you'll get. Get a new amp and yes, pickup swap, if possible.

• Members

There are a lot of things you can do, even to an inexpensive guitar to make it play and sound better. Other than a speaker swap, assuming your amp is solid state, you can do nothing for your amp.

Get a decent amp in the 15 to 35 watt range. You can find good used tube amps in the spam sections here. You can go for higher wattage, but it doesn't make that much of a difference. I have a Crate V100H that can run at either 100 or 50 watts and I doubt it will see the 100 watt setting more than once a year, if that much.

• Members

For $300 I'd save $700 more and get something nicer. Especially since you've been playing a couple years. You owe it to yourself to get something that sounds good. Although if all you've ever played is a 15 watt practice amp a $300 amp will definitely make you REALLY happy for a few more years.

• Members

I happen to totally disagree with these statements. A good guitarist can play any combination of the guitars/amps you mentioned and still sound very tasty. My strats and LP's sound outstanding through my dual recs. I saw a guy in his 60's a couple weeks ago playing some of the most toneful and selective blues I've ever heard live. He's was playing a strat and I didn't know until after he was done that he was playing the same amp I chug metallica to- a Dual Rectifier.

• Members

For $300 I'd save $700 more and get something nicer. Especially since you've been playing a couple years. You owe it to yourself to get something that sounds good. Although if all you've ever played is a 15 watt practice amp a $300 amp will definitely make you REALLY happy for a few more years.

There are plenty of amps that will work well and provide good tone for far less than that. Especially on the used market. Given the fact he is asking if the guitar or amp should be the first thing to be replaced, it would appear pretty obvious that he isn't going to be playing larger venues with it anytime soon. Spending a ton of money on a high end amp is absolutely crazy before you know what sound you're looking for.

• Members

There are plenty of amps that will work well and provide good tone for far less than that. Especially on the used market. Given the fact he is asking if the guitar or amp should be the first thing to be replaced, it would appear pretty obvious that he isn't going to be playing larger venues with it anytime soon. Spending a ton of money on a high end amp is absolutely crazy before you know what sound you're looking for.

I guess these days $1000 is a 'ton' of money. But why spend $300 here, $400 there, then $600 over this way? Do it right the first time and even if you find your looking for something else change course then.

Archived