Price check, please. Used CIJ Fender 60s Tele Reissue with Bigsby for $500???

Audix99

• Members

Hi all,

I found an used Telecaster (Re-issue of '60s Tele with Bigsby) from a local shop today. (same as the one here: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0256800500)

It was "Crafted in Japan" model with "Q" serial, so I guess 2002-2004 made...

It was in a decent condition except two issues.

The 1st and 2nd frets were worn. Not enough to cause a problem in playing, but I could definitely see and feel the worn spot on the 1st and 2nd frets under G and B strings.

But all other frets were good.

Now, more serious issue.

The previous owner SANDED" the back of the ENTIRE neck to make to smooth, I guess, because CIJ Fenders usually have really glossy neck finish. But I guess s/he got little too excited with the sanding because the sanding went through the clear coating and the yellow tint on the neck got removed along the length of the neck at the very middle in about 1/3" width and 7" in length.

I can talk the price down to $500 + tax.

So what do you think? Should I jump on it or pass???

• Members

Ooh....very nice. I mean, I can't make a judgment since I haven't played it, but I don't think the sanded neck would bother me that much....if anything it will quicken your playing.......

Regardless, it's still a defect to the product. Give it some time. If you have couple weeks to think about it, I say pass for now. Don't invest that much money that fast into something you're unsure about.

• Members

Thanks David.

The sanded neck does not bother me much, either.

And it was a very nice playing guitar.

But since the sanded neck typically would de-value a guitar, I wanted to know if $500 would be a fair price for this CIJ Tele with this kind of sanded neck.

Would you say $500 is fair or still too high??

Thanks!!

• Members

At $500 if it plays well, the frets you are describing are not too worn, and the sanding on the neck doesn't bother you, I'd jump on it. You certainly couldn't build one or find another for that price I don't think.

That's a decent price. I think they go for low to mid $500s (plus shipping) on eBay. If you like it, buy it.

The sanded neck wouldn't bother me at all. IMO unfinished necks are great, and if I bought that guitar, I'd probably sand more off the back to finish the job. But, if you don't like that sort of thing or are worried about resale, then I'd pass.

Archived