OT - Any Wii owners? (possible Guitar Hero content!)

RaVenCAD

• Members

Hey folks, I'm buying a Wii this weekend and would like input from owners. I've played one once, love that bowling game, and I think it'll be cool for the family. What are the must haves? Console, 2 controllers and........ what? I plan to get the recharging holder for the controllers, the HD cables, and maybe the numchuks.. But what else is essential besides games?

now, to make it guitar related.. Is Guitar Hero any different on the Wii than it would be for the PS2? We've got a PS2 now, and I was thinking GH.. My girl played it and loves it..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love my Wii. I already had a PS3 when I got it, but I bought it so that I could play together with my wife (she's not all that much into FPS).

We played the tennis game from the Sports Pack every single day.

I don't know if GH would be any different though. The graphics core of the Wii is pretty old so it may look like the PS2 version. The gameplay should really be the same. There's also Wii Music which uses the various controllers for playing virtual instruments. Only seen the trailers though, never tried that.

The rechargable battery packs are OK, but be prepared to charge often. Mine is said to last 30H which is a total joke, 8 or 9 is more like it... at most.

I bought a composite cable for it, but I think the picture looked better through the RGB one I had before because it was less sharp. On a 42" plasma the graphics aren't that good, 480p is the maximum.

Super Mario Galaxy is a pretty cool game if she's into Super Mario. Boom Blox is a nice puzzle game, you can probably find it for a few bucks if you search hard enough.

Controller wise I only have the controllers which came with it, bought a 2nd set. The balance board could also be interesting for a couple of games.

• Members

I have a Wii. If you're all about graphics, I would suggest the PS3 or Xbox. The Wii is all about the playing experience which it's the best in my opinion.

Great for the family, my 3 year old plays a couple driving games and my wife and I love the Wii Sports. Haven't played GH yet...

• Members

I have a Wii. If you're all about graphics, I would suggest the PS3 or Xbox. The Wii is all about the playing experience which it's the best in my opinion.

Great for the family, my 3 year old plays a couple driving games and my wife and I love the Wii Sports. Haven't played GH yet...

Yeah, it's more of a party / family console than state-of-the-art-graphics-machine.

• Members

okokok, I'm gonna get the numchucks apparently..

Visually, yes, there are better systems but I love the whole Wii-ness of it.. Less ass sitting, more interaction. I went to a family Christmas party and we had a bowling tournament that was a riot. I've wanted one ever since.

For games, I'm thinking Super Mario Galaxy and a racing game to start.. I'll probably get Call of Duty and the gun controller soon after that.

• Members

okokok, I'm gonna get the numchucks apparently..

Visually, yes, there are better systems but I love the whole Wii-ness of it.. Less ass sitting, more interaction. I went to a family Christmas party and we had a bowling tournament that was a riot. I've wanted one ever since.

For games, I'm thinking Super Mario Galaxy and a racing game to start.. I'll probably get Call of Duty and the gun controller soon after that.

I've been wanting to play Call of Duty on the Wii for a while. If you have kids, my son loves the Cars Maternational racing game. Very easy for him to play. He also likes Monster Jam but needs my help as it's a little faster paced.

• Members

I second Mario Kart.

On the whole Wii vs. PS3 vs. Xbox conversation - I once read an interesting article discussing the business platforms of Nintendo vs. the other game console manufacturers (Sony, Microsoft, etc.). The crux of it was that while all the other manufacturers were always trying to be better (mostly focusing on better graphics), Nintendo has always tried to be different and that's what makes them such a special company. For example, everone started fighting early on to make graphics better and Nintendo avoided that and put out the first hand-held gaming system. Then people kept trying to make better graphics and Nintendo put out the first system with motion sensitive controllers. It's interesting. Obviously the downside is that Nintendo has stuck to more basic and (sometimes) campy graphics but it's an interesting business style.

• Members

Wii is definitely fun for the family. The wife and I have been thinking about getting one for just kicking around - it's definitely better than vegging in front of the tube to syndicated crap.

I've played all the Wii sports and love them. Tiger Woods golf is fun too, because with how bad I am, the commentators make some hilarious comments.

We've been holding off because there were only a couple games we wanted (sports, mariokart), but then I saw NHL09. That looks pretty cool and my wife and I might have some fun slapshotting each other. All in all, I've still held off since we don't seem to ever have any downtime like that.

• Members

I second Mario Kart.

On the whole Wii vs. PS3 vs. Xbox conversation - I once read an interesting article discussing the business platforms of Nintendo vs. the other game console manufacturers (Sony, Microsoft, etc.). The crux of it was that while all the other manufacturers were always trying to be better (mostly focusing on better graphics), Nintendo has always tried to be different and that's what makes them such a special company. For example, everone started fighting early on to make graphics better and Nintendo avoided that and put out the first hand-held gaming system. Then people kept trying to make better graphics and Nintendo put out the first system with motion sensitive controllers. It's interesting. Obviously the downside is that Nintendo has stuck to more basic and (sometimes) campy graphics but it's an interesting business style.

http://kotaku.com/5132323/miyamoto-spore-win-jim-henson-awards :)

• Members

the wii is pretty awesome, but guitar hero is TERRIBLE on it.

the delay is just too long. i found it near impossible to play, and that wasn't just 1 wii. you press the note and pluck, and it actually does it about a second later, and it just makes it way too hard to play.

• Members

I second Mario Kart.

Another interesting fact is that Nintendo makes money on video games. Nintendo is a very profitable company right now. Microsoft has lost over 7 billion on the Xbox so far. I think Sony made some money on the PS2 but I'm pretty sure they are losing money on the PS3.

Max

• Members

Do not get the charger! Waste of money - and the batteries last a long time, especially if you get the long-life ones. Plus I've heard horror stories about them damaging the controllers.

Mario Cart is great. Everyone from my four year old on up love it.

Go ahead and get Wii Play. It comes with an extra controller and only costs $10 more than the controller itself, plus you get pool, a target shooting game, ping pong, etc.

Mario vs. Sonic Olympics is good for getting you moving, but you'll want a nunchuck for each controller.

I would make sure you at least have enough controllers for every child (not in the world, but at least in the household), just to keep the peace.

My wife and my four year old both love Animal Corssing City Folk. It's a Sims-like game where you interact with anthroporphic Hello Kitty-esque animals to make your town a better place, and the town grows and everyone stays happy. I think you would have zero tolerance for it. It bugs the crap out of me.

Wii fit is good. My wife does the yoga and it's good for some other stuff, too. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both went out and bought wii's after trying wii fit at our house last week.

I've heard wii music is a good one for the under 10 set.

If you get Wii fit and balance board, Shaun White snowboarding is pretty cool.

Archived