Disillusioned by U2's The Edge. New album sucks.

Coralkong

• Members

Well, let me preface this "rant" by stating that, in the past, I have followed U2's music quite closely and have been a huge fan.

That being said, the latest album is absolute rubbish.

AND, to top it off...

I recently saw a video piece on The Edge where he discusses his guitars, guitar style, equipment, etc...

To put it bluntly, he was awful. I know it sounds kind of trite, but without his equipment in the studio, he could barely hold it together. Maybe an "off" day, I don't know. It was as if someone told him he was a LOT better a guitar player than he is for so long, he has started to believe it.

I was terribly disappointed, to be honest.

I have always been a huge fan (especially of the old stuff), but after listening to their latest effort (No Line on The Horizon), well at least the first 3 tracks they played , I commented to myself:

1. Strike One

2. Strike Two

3. You're OUT!

This group has really mailed it in, and I, for one am extremely disappointed. Terrible songs.

Bono sounds like a cat-in-heat on it. The Edge sounds like he's making it up as he goes along (which isn't good), the bass actually sounds OK, and the drumming is pretty much mediocre at best.

Awful.

Someone should have put on "These Boots" and planted them squarely in U2's ass for such a {censored}-box album. Then made them go back and re-do it, because to put such a POS album out only cheats their fans, and makes the group look like a collection of assholes.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

To put it bluntly, he was awful. I know it sounds kind of trite, but without his equipment in the studio, he could barely hold it together. Maybe an "off" day, I don't know. It was as if someone told him he was a LOT better a guitar player than he is for so long, he has started to believe it.

I was terribly disappointed, to be honest.

You've never seen this?

[YOUTUBE]8EDuK46ZqFM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I haven't heard the record yet, or a good review about it.

For some reason unknown to anyone here, our office started getting copies of Rolling Stone magazine sent here. The March 2009 issue's cover calls the album "U2's Five-Star Masterpiece."

I haven't heard it myself, other than the Irish radio leak of the Boots song, which didn't do much for me.

• Members

That's the rubber stamp required for {censored} Album then ain't it?

That's truth.

Rolling Stone has become completely irrelevant.

It's sad really I used to enjoy reading it......20 years ago.

• Members

I was a big U2 fan back in the 80's. Our band had many U2 songs in our setlist playing for largely Irish bars in Sunnyside & Woodside, NYC. After "Rattle and Hum" I could not get into their music much any more. Very sad direction for the band. IMO.

• Members

Since Achtung, Baby they have been pretty inconsistent. Seems like they ran out of ideas for songwriting, and Bono's voice has also tanked, which is a shame because he was fantastic in the Unforgettable Fire days. The grittier vocals went well with Achtung, Baby but it's been downhill since. Haven't even listened to the new album.

Archived