Strat Pickups: CS '54 vs Fralin Real '54 vs ?

damacy

• Members

Hi!

A short introduction. I have an MIJ strat from '88 with maple neck and basswood body. Been thinking of upgrading the stock pickups for quite a while now. They aren't too bad, but I'm looking for something more musical, transparent and complex (in terms of harmonics). Low output, vintage but not too noisy, bright but not sharp. Oh, well. :rolleyes:

My favourite pickup positions are 2 and 4. I'm more of a rhythm player than a soloist (strumming and arpeggio usually). My amp is already too dark and fat for the position 2 especially when strumming, so I'm not interested in fat pups like CS Fat 50's at the moment. The position 4 sounds good and clear to me, but it definitely lacks a bit of soul. A little too dry.

I gained a lot of interest in CS '54's after hearing some clips on the net, and here are a few questions for you guitar gurus.

1. I know that Lindy Fralin make '54 pickups as well. Are they worth extra money? Heard nothing but great things about their products, but they're quite pricey.

2. A negative thing I heard about the CS is that it's quite noisy. I believe the mid pickup in the Fralin set is reverse-wound. How much would it affect the tone-noise-ratio in positions 2 and 4? This is very important for me, since those are the ones I always use.

3. I'm still open to other suggestions as well. How are those GFS pickups, compared to the Fender and other boutique ones out there? Heard they are excellent for the money. Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

A RWRP middle PU will hum-buck in positions 2 and 4.

I have no experience with the Real '54's and their A3 magnets, but they are still wound to the some resistance as the Vintage Hots.

Fralin will make a model called True Vintage as a request,, these would be near equivalent to the CS '54. IIRC, they once were called simply "Vintage" (as opposed to the "Vintage Hot"). For all practically purposes they are just an underwound option on the Vintage Hot. They are recommend by Fralin for the best in-between quack tones (in general, lower output=stronger quack).

Personally, I still prefer the CS '54's, they just have a rounder bell-like tone without any breaking up in the high-end. Just pure clean tone (they don't drive an amp very hard, so they'll need help to play dirty) And I prefer non-RWRP middle PU's.

• Members

I have the '54s in a 50th anniv American ltd edition. THey are WONDERFUL pickups. If I only had one Strat I would not have them in it. I'd go for the cs 69s. The 54s are great but they don't really give me the thump of some of the oothers.

• Members

I make a set of handwounds called Vintage60s. They could be a great choice for you.

Clips and info can be found at www.bgpickups.com/sc.html

You can read what user have to say about them at http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/brand/BG+Pups

If I can answer any questions just let me know.

Thanks,

Bryan Gunsher

BG Pups

• Members

I have both CS54's and CS69's - I think the fender custom shop p/u's are a tremendous value, significant upgrade in tone and you can get a set of either for around $150. If I had to choose between the two I would go for the CS69's, just a great tone.

• Members

I have both CS54's and CS69's - I think the fender custom shop p/u's are a tremendous value, significant upgrade in tone and you can get a set of either for around $150. If I had to choose between the two I would go for the
CS69's
, just a great tone.

i know they're hard to put in words, but i'd like to hear more about the 69's in comparison with the 54's. are they harmonically richer? not muddy when strumming? eq response? etc. thanks lots in advance.

• Members

I have had:

CS 69s, and Texas Specials from the CS line. I now have Fralin Real 54's which I consider to be the best pickups I have ever installed. They are the Fralin Blues Special wind around an Alnico 3 magnet, supposedly as close to a vintage pickup as you can get. That is my impression of the pickups as well, they sound like a "real" vintage strat.

I thought the Texas Specials were a bit too noisy, and I thought the 69's sounded just like Jimi Hendrix. I thought that stepping up from regular pickups to CS pickups gave greater note clarity, and then stepping up from CS to Fralin gave even more note clarity, better balance between the strings, and improved chord sounds.

• Members

I have had:

CS 69s, and Texas Specials from the CS line.
I now have Fralin Real 54's which I consider to be the best pickups I have ever installed.
They are the Fralin Blues Special wind around an Alnico 3 magnet, supposedly as close to a vintage pickup as you can get. That is my impression of the pickups as well, they sound like a "real" vintage strat.

I thought the Texas Specials were a bit too noisy, and I thought the 69's sounded just like Jimi Hendrix. I thought that stepping up from regular pickups to CS pickups gave greater note clarity, and then stepping up from CS to Fralin gave even more note clarity, better balance between the strings, and improved chord sounds.

Thanks for the quick rundown. Yes, I'm a little tempted now. May I ask you what guitar (and what types of wood it's made of) you're using with the Real 54's? My MIJ strat is not the best sounding strat in the world (although it's good enough for me), so I'm a little hestitant to go for the Fralin's if the difference between them and the CS's is only subtle. The difference may be more easily noticed on a better guitar.

P.S. I heard they're the Vintage Hot's with Alnico III though.

• Members

They are, the Blues Specials have a hotter wind (and more midrange than the Vintage Hots).

Lindy Fralin recommends an underwound Vintage Hot for brighter tones, which is what you are asking for.

• Members

Thanks for the quick rundown. Yes, I'm a little tempted now. May I ask you what guitar (and what types of wood it's made of) you're using with the Real 54's? My MIJ strat is not the best sounding strat in the world (although it's good enough for me), so I'm a little hestitant to go for the Fralin's if the difference between them and the CS's is only subtle. The difference may be more easily noticed on a better guitar.

Do I think the difference is subtle, yes definitely. What is my strat, it is just a 2006 American Strat, I have no idea what kind of wood it is??? I dont think it matters on a shoreline gold guitar because the paint is so damn thick!

As far as the price difference though, I searched on eBay, Harmony Central, and The Gear Page for almost a month before I bought the Fralins. I ended up getting the Real 54 set with a baseplate on the bridge pickup for 160. I think it is possible to get the CS 54's for 125, maybe $100 if you shop hard enough. The question for me was, would I put the CS pickups in my guitar, and then wonder what it would sound like with the Fralins?

I ultimately decided that if I didnt put the best pickups in the guitar, I would always wonder what if.......so I bought the Fralins and I think they are worth the extra $60.

• Members

The CS '54's are by far my favorite Strat PU; like I said above, the two sets I've had have had the purest bell-tone, smooth with not a single hint of loosing it's tone at either the low end or high end, much like a note struck on a piano, which is something I can't say for the low-wound Fralins and Lollars I've tried which both distort on the high-end before rolling off. I think they are good and bright. Definitely very Buddy Holly and Mark Knopfler sounding. If clean Strat shimmer is desired, nothing has come close that I've tried.

I do try and watch who I recommend them to though because they don't overdrive an amp well, they would be a very poor much for someone looking for hotter SRV tones or for a rock PU. They are a clean PU and best for clean tones.

• Members

Regarding the CS69's vs. CS54's, to my ears, the 69's are more scooped, but have a strong mix of top and bottom end in them. They are similar to John Mayer's tone on his latest DVD "Where The Light Is" Both the 54's and 69's have a more articulate robust warm tone as compared to fender stock pickups.

• Members

The CS '54's are by far my favorite Strat PU; like I said above, the two sets I've had have had the purest bell-tone, smooth with not a single hint of loosing it's tone at either the low end or high end, much like a note struck on a piano, which is something I can't say for the low-wound Fralins and Lollars I've tried which both distort on the high-end before rolling off. I think they are good and bright. Definitely very Buddy Holly and Mark Knopfler sounding. If clean Strat shimmer is desired, nothing has come close that I've tried.

I do try and watch who I recommend them to though because they don't overdrive an amp well, they would be a very poor much for someone looking for hotter SRV tones or for a rock PU. They are a clean PU and best for clean tones.

Well spoken, I agree. The 69 in the neck is a decent Tone also. I tried the Tom Anderson Vintage 60's and they fall a little more inbetween say a 54 or 69 and a Fat 50. Hey I like Texas Specials also though and many HATE them? Depends what your looking for. But I would always have he one Strat loaded with the 54s which is my 50th.

• Members

Lots of great choices there and I will add 2 more.. Copperhead pickups are suppossed to be in the upper echelon tone wise, and are priced NICE!!!. Never heard them but they get glowing reviews... The BEST pickups I have ever heard anywhere on any strat have been Jason Lollar... They sound like a strat from the 50's, period... bob

• Members

Lots of great choices there and I will add 2 more.. Copperhead pickups are suppossed to be in the upper echelon tone wise, and are priced NICE!!!. Never heard them but they get glowing reviews... The BEST pickups I have ever heard anywhere on any strat have been Jason Lollar... They sound like a strat from the 50's, period... bob

I had the Copperheads, and while they are good, they are not up to CS 54 standards....they are a little closer to Texas Specials or something...dirty.

Archived