Low fret on neck - how do I fix it?

Vince

• Members

I've got my strat set up perfectly except for the 15th fret which is a fraction lower than those around it causing the B string in particular to fret out at that spot.

Do I have any other options than taking it to a guitar tech and getting a fret job?

• Members

you don't need a 'fret job' but since only one fret is lower than the rest - if you're sure that's the case and you probably don't know and can't determine... I would say you could replace the one fret as it's probably better than trying to level the rest of them down to the height of the low fret, not to mention a waste of good fret meat on those other frets.

• Members

you don't need a 'fret job' but since only one fret is lower than the rest - if you're sure that's the case and you probably don't know and can't determine... I would say you could replace the one fret as it's probably better than trying to level the rest of them down to the height of the low fret, not to mention a waste of good fret meat on those other frets.

Right on! Vince is this something you feel comfortable doing yourself?

If so, lmii.com has plenty of fret wire of varying size. You just need to measure the ones you have and find the closest one in size. You want the new one a little taller so you can level it down to the rest.

I not, it shouldn't be too costly of a job at a shop.

• Members

The difference in height is minimal - like 0.1mm if that, but it is noticeably lower when playing.

I probably meant Fret level, rather than fret job.:facepalm:

Archived