Most Versatile Electric Guitar?

runnrdad

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People always seem to say a Strat, or HSS Strat. Yes they're definitely and obviously versatile, but in my opinion so is any guitar when you know how to tweak it and the amp settings.

A strat is more versatile than other guitars meaning that it can do more genres better. A LP is pretty limited even if you know how to tweak the amp settings etc IME.

• Members
A strat is
more
versatile than other guitars meaning that it can do more genres better. A LP is pretty limited even if you know how to tweak the amp settings etc IME.

Yeah, that makes sense, I can understand both sides to that argument. I just see Teles being more versatile, but I can't really find fault in anyone's argument for other guitars.

• Members

What about a H S H guitar with coil splitter?

I've got an aria pro 2 with coil splitting and it sounds a good as my mates strat - thought my aria only H & H, no middle single coil.

I'll build a project one day, and it'll be a HSH type guitar. I'll just have to find good humbucker that really good too when split.

• Members

I have way too many guitars. Tele, Strat, LP, P90 guitars, etc.

The most versatile guitar I have is my Yamaha SA2200 Semi Hollow. It's dual humbucker with coil spits. It can do everything but metal and it does them all very well. With the bridge pup split and the volume and tone dimed, it sounded so close to a Tele that I sold my Tele.

• Members

Godin.

Specifically:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-LGXSA-AAA-Flamed-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=511919

229409.jpg

2 humbuckers with 5 way switch for very convincing stratty in between tones. Piezo with three band eq for very nice acoustic sounds, and 13 pin synth output for everything else.

Plays like butter. Mohagany body with flam maple top, mahogonay neck, ebony fretboard.

And there is a version with a trem. And a slightly cheaper version with 2 hums and a single coil.

THAT's versatile.

• Members

Yeah, that makes sense, I can understand both sides to that argument. I just see Teles being more versatile, but I can't really find fault in anyone's argument for other guitars.

A Tele can do tele tones, strat neck tones, strat bridge tones (with amp tweaking), can do chugga chugga and fat les paul type tones (with the tone knob). But it can't do that quack.

A Strat can do the les paul stuff (tone knob, people!), the strat stuff, but it can't do the Tele in-between sound without a mod, and it can't do the tele twang.

An HH Les Paul can't get that tele twang, can't get that single-coil sound without wiring mods, and even then it's not great.

Personally I say . . . JAZZMASTER. :confused:

The neck pickup goes from strat, to P-90, Tele, and even dark humbucker tones. The Bridge can go from moderate twang to blistering humbucker. And the pickups are so close together that they *ALMOST* quack. And they even nail that in-between tele sound.

Archived