CORONET but not an EPIPHONE

JackBauer

• Members

Hi forum. A mate gave me an electric guitar and said if you can get it to work you can have it. Well it works now, so it's mine! But I can't find any info about it on the internet. I'm sure it's not worth much but it's got a really interesting setup.

It's a Les Paul copy with a very basic look about it. The most obvious clue is that it says Coronet on the Gibson-style headstock and the C in Coronet has a little King's crown on top of it, however the only info I can find on the net about Coronet guitars is about the Epiphone Coronets, but it ain't one of those unfortunately! Maybe I could scrub the Coronet decal off and replace it with a Gibson decal >:D ...nah!

The pickguard doesn't exactly guard the guitar from the pick, as it's positioned at the fat end of the body underneath the tailpiece to the tune-o-matic bridge and houses all of the controls, of which there are many. We've worked out that it houses two humbuckers and the controls consist of 2 coil tap switches, one for each pickup so that you can get the single coil sound or the dual coil sound in any combination. It has a 3-way selector switch and then a volume and tone knob for each pickup. It's black with ivory edging, has what looks to be block mother of pearl inlays, 22 frets and made in Japan sticker on the bolt-on neck.

Oh and from memory, the pickups were of the brand 'Marsh' I think.

Hey, has anyone seen that new Gibson robot guitar that tunes itself?! How awesome is that?!!!

Cheers for any responses.

• Members

Thanks for your interest fellas! I went ahead and took some pics so here they are.....

Top view - I like this view! Can't explain those waves on the left side of the body there. Could have something to do with all the chemicals I used to clean it up:

[ATTACH]290069[/ATTACH]

It doesn't normally look like that though, it looks more like this:

[ATTACH]290070[/ATTACH]

Here's the headstock, decal & closer example of the inlays:

[ATTACH]290071[/ATTACH]

Bolt-on neck - the sticker says Made In Japan, but it's just a sticker, little gold one:

[ATTACH]290073[/ATTACH]

Controls - from the left: Vol. Neck p-up, Vol. Bridge p-up, Tone Neck p-up, Tone Bridge p-up. The two switches are what allow you to cut from double coil to single coil or vice versa, one for each p-up, and 3-way PUSS:

[ATTACH]290072[/ATTACH]

I put on the new chrome saddle with chrome saddle pieces, as the old one, which was also chrome, had really worn 'plastic' saddle pieces that I couldn't replace. I put on better tuning pegs as well.

Whaddya think?

• Members

And why would your friend not let you have it if it was not working, and then give it to you when it was fixed?
:confused:

:thu:

Heheh. Well, him and his brother and a bunch of friends had tried to fix it but they couldn't, so I asked him if I could have a go. He figured I cared about the guitar more than he did, I told him it would cost money and he said, mate if you want to spend money on it and you get it to work, you can keep it. He didn't want to spend any money on it. I spent about $130 on it plus a lot of time and effort. That included tuning pegs, a little bottle of hobby paint, chrome saddle, strap, new strings and my local guitar guy to re-wire it. Turns out all it needed was to be properly earthed!

Now it sounds really good for something I didn't expect much from. REALLY good! It was a nice surprise. I was just messing with it for experience.

• Members

that's a copy of a "Les Paul Recording". Always interested me....

Oh yea.....now who told me that??? You're right, someone else told me that, just can't remember who and I had forgotten. But does anyone know anything about the company that produced it, Coronet I suppose. How old it is, if it was really made in Japan etc...

I'm gonna have a look on the net now for some info on the Les Paul Recording. You know any sites mate?

Cheers man.

• Members

Would these pickups be Lo-Hi Impedance pickups or humbuckers? Are they the same thing? I've just read that they are for cancelling hum/noise during recording on the Lo Impedance setting and for plugging into an amp in the Hi Impedence setting. At least, the original Gibson ones were anyway.

• Members

Apart from this one up for sale in Germany that also says it's from Japan, my photos may be the only ones of a Les Paul Recording copy on the internet! haha.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-70s-LAWSUIT-MASTER-M-JAPAN-LES-PAUL-RECORDING_W0QQitemZ230331403450QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGitarren?hash=item230331403450&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

• Members

Would these pickups be Lo-Hi Impedance pickups or humbuckers? Are they the same thing? I've just read that they are for cancelling hum/noise during recording on the Lo Impedance setting and for plugging into an amp in the Hi Impedence setting. At least, the original Gibson ones were anyway.

This is true on the real Gibson Recording, but who knows if that copy has the same thing?

• Members

You must be in Europe or Australia. It's nearly 4am east coast USA, 1am on the west coast. Most people around here are asleep (except for us night people).

Here's a working link to that auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-70s-LAWSUIT-MASTER-M-JAPAN-LES-PAUL-RECORDING_W0QQitemZ230331403450

Thanks for the reminder, and the hyperlink :thu:

• Members

This is true on the real Gibson Recording, but who knows if that copy has the same thing?

The dang company who made it.....! I just want the specs for this guitar and I'll be happy. I emailed the guy who's selling that one on ebay. Doesn't look much different.

Archived