Lace Sensors......for Telecaster?

Cyber_Chyld

• Members

Hey guys, just wanted to pick some collective brains here!

I've had my CIJ '62 custom re-issue tele for a couple of months now, and whilst really happy with it on the whole, I don't think the Texas Special pickups it came with are quite for me. Bridge is microhponic and a bit harsh (especially on the top end) and the neck just isn't warm or hot enough.

Been looking around at pickups, and on some HCGF suggestions, looked into lace sensors.

Reading the descriptions on the Lace website, a red for bridge and blue for neck sounded ideal. I then found out that some of my favourite guitarists use the same set-up!

Only thing is, I could only find reference to tele versions of the red and blue as having been fitted strock to 90's Fender Tele Plus's. I e-mailed lace and they do say they make a tele set of red and blue sensors.

So, anyone think it sounds like a good plan? Anyone have this setup? Anyone know where I can get a set?

FWIW I play through a 6100 Marshall head and 4X12's. I play modern rock/metal.

• Members

I would definitely go for it. I love Lace Sensors in Fenders.

Keep in mind that the Reds are an extremely "neutral" pickup (which some people call "sterile"), so it'll probably require more tone shaping than you're used to. However, in terms of clarity under heavy gain they can't be beat...that's why Corgan used 'em for years.

• Members

^^^^^^^^^^^

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Firstly I'm a HUGE Radiohead/greenwood fan.

Secondly I figured that as a tele bridge sound is SO characterful, it could quite easily handle a more neutral pickup. Having a HOT pickup in there would certainly make the guitar a little more useable.

The only thing that's worrying me is I still haven't even found a picture of a lace red out of a guitar with a standard tele mount. I've got the vintage 3 saddle bridge on my tele, and there's no way a strat type pickup will fit there.

:confused:

• Members

I wouldn't use a Lace Sensor in the bridge of a Tele. Personally I like Alnico II Pro's by SD or a Hot-Rail. DiMarzio Rails are smoking also. Or a Lil-59 works great.

I used Sensor's all through the 90's in my Fender's. I don;t use them anymore because I like the Rails better. Or a lightly hotter Alnico pick-up.

I was just using a Lace in my Acoustic? Best tone I ever heard out of it plugged in.

• Members

I wouldn't use a Lace Sensor in the bridge of a Tele. Personally I like Alnico II Pro's by SD or a Hot-Rail. DiMarzio Rails are smoking also. Or a Lil-59 works great.

I used Sensor's all through the 90's in my Fender's. I don;t use them anymore because I like the Rails better. Or a lightly hotter Alnico pick-up.

I was just using a Lace in my Acoustic? Best tone I ever heard out of it plugged in.

Cheers for the reply :)

Any reason you wouldn't use a Lace Sensor in a Tele?

I'm a little scared of removing too much character from the guitar.

I have two LP's for all my really heavy hum-bucker sounds, I bought a Tele for a reason!

Having said that, I do really need to sort the bridge tone out though. Needs to be hotter, rounder and much more willing to take distortion. The Texas Specials just seem to get harsh with OD.

• Members

I use a set of Evans noisless in my tele. they are strat pickups. They guy that installed them, attached a brass (i think) base plate to the bottom of the bridge pickup so it would work in a traditional tele bridge route.

DSC00176.jpg

See, now that's interesting, because the strat lace sensors are everywhere to be had.

Do you know if the pickup cavity(s) had to be routed out any further? Just looking at a tele bridge, it seems that the 'wings' of a strat pickups would cause some issues? :confused:

• Members

See, now that's interesting, because the strat lace sensors are everywhere to be had.

Do you know if the pickup cavity(s) had to be routed out any further? Just looking at a tele bridge, it seems that the 'wings' of a strat pickups would cause some issues?
:confused:

its been awhile since I looked under there but I don't think there is any additional routing. that tele in the picture is a 89 am std. and thats the stock bridge plate. the only problem with the strat pickups on a tele bridge is the 2 screws vs. the 3 screw configuration. adding the base plate to the bottom of the pickup solved that problem.

• Members

E-mail Lace again, Enquiring why I couldn't see on their website a Red/Blue sensor set with tele mounting.

Got an e-mail back from tech support and apparently this set:

http://lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/tele_model/tele_specs.php

is essentially the old Tele Plus setup, but re-named.

I reckon a T-150 set should do me nicely :thu: Now to check the finances and score a good deal on a set :)

Whilst I'm at it, anyone think I'd benefit from upgrading the rest of the electronics? We're talking plastic sealed pickup selector switch and mini-pots. I'm in two minds, as, in fucntion, they seem totally fine. It just seems a little cheap and nasty when you have the control plate out of the guitar.

• Members

Cheers for the reply
:)

Any reason you wouldn't use a Lace Sensor in a Tele?

I'm a little scared of removing too much character from the guitar.

I have two LP's for all my really heavy hum-bucker sounds, I bought a Tele for a reason!

Having said that, I do really need to sort the bridge tone out though. Needs to be hotter, rounder and much more willing to take distortion. The Texas Specials just seem to get harsh with OD.

I like either a Traditional Tele tone in the bridge, or a Hotter Clean Clear pick-up.

I always liked the old Gold and Silver Lace Sensors with the Fender stamp on them. Gold in the neck and Silver in the middle. I used them in Lonestar Strats though. They are replacing Texas Specials in the Lonestar. Though I use Tex-Specials in my SRV Strat and love them.

Photo0007.jpg

I used a Lace Bronze in my Taylor acoustic and I thought it was the best sounding pup I ever used in a Acoustic. Really its just a Strat pick-up in a housing for a Acoustic? Here's a generic photo of the one I use.

246222.jpg

• Members

Could I mix a Vintage Noiseless Tele bridge pickup with a Fender Lace Sensor Tele neck pickup? Just curious--I'm getting a "Bordellocaster" in trade for my TC-90 next week and I'm wondering about hum-cancelling options for it.

Well something that's worth considering is that Lace Sensor's are NOT humbucking pickups. Nor are they active pickups.

Their construction however is inherantly noise resistant.

Have a look on the Lace website at the T-100N pickups. That's their tele neck pickup. And from what I was told by the tech at Lace, it's based on a Blue Lace Sensor.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I use a set of Evans noisless in my tele. they are strat pickups. They guy that installed them, attached a brass (i think) base plate to the bottom of the bridge pickup so it would work in a traditional tele bridge route.

DSC00176.jpg

I have a telecaster I was looking at putting strat style pickups in, most probably lace sensors similar to Francis Rossi. Does anyone know how I could change the bottem base plate from the strat wings to a tele one?

FRM01.JPG

• Members

Hey guys, just wanted to pick some collective brains here!

I've had my CIJ '62 custom re-issue tele for a couple of months now, and whilst really happy with it on the whole, I don't think the Texas Special pickups it came with are quite for me. Bridge is microhponic and a bit harsh (especially on the top end) and the neck just isn't warm or hot enough.

Been looking around at pickups, and on some HCGF suggestions, looked into lace sensors.

Reading the descriptions on the Lace website, a red for bridge and blue for neck sounded ideal. I then found out that some of my favourite guitarists use the same set-up!

Only thing is, I could only find reference to tele versions of the red and blue as having been fitted strock to 90's Fender Tele Plus's. I e-mailed lace and they do say they make a tele set of red and blue sensors.

So, anyone think it sounds like a good plan? Anyone have this setup? Anyone know where I can get a set?

FWIW I play through a 6100 Marshall head and 4X12's. I play modern rock/metal.

A buddy that I used to play in a band with in the mid 90's had a Tele plus with lace sensors. Sounded absolutely fantastic!

• Members

I recently put a Lace Sensor Gold in the neck of my Tele Thinline and it sounds great. It combines well with the Duncan Little 59 I put in the bridge - great combo. I got rid of the stock 1 meg pots that came in the guitar and put in 250k. I'm a big fan of Lace Sensors and have them in my Strat too: Silver/neck, Gold/middle, Blue/bridge.

Archived