Yamaha Guitars, where are they made?

Beckman

• Members

Like most guitar companies, Yamaha is very quiet about which factories they outsource to.

On thing that is obvious is they are VERY picky about the specs they deliver to the factory. I've never seen a Yamaha guitar of recent vintage that wasn't built extremely well.

I wonder what brand their factory rejects become...

• Members

If you are after RGX lines, prior to 2005 they were all made in Taiwan. The ones built between early-mid 90s and early 2000s are the best ones IMO. Those RGX421 onwards are absolutely Ibanez RG killers.

The Pacificas, like RGX, were made in Taiwan b4 2005, but that only applies to the 012-812. The models beyond are MIJ and some old ones were MIA.

The AES are made in Korea except the 920 and 1550(?)

Anyway the history and models of Yamaha electrics are quite complex and that's all I can tell you at the moment. But note that Yamaha had it's own factory in Taiwan. Elsewhere? Dunno.....maybe outsourced.

• Members

My SA503 is MII. As Golias says, they're picky about their specs. Mine is flawless. People have said that it's a lot of money for an Indonesian guitar, but to me, if the guitar you get justifies what you paid...

Edit: I also have a CG-171S classical, made in Taiwan according to the label. I bought this guitar in 2007. I understand they shifted production of the CG line to China around that time.

• Members

Thanks!

I have been looking at a bunch of different brands to get a new guitar. I have a strat, an LP (epiphone) and need something a little different. A semihollow would be nice, but I think I want to go more metal. I don't shred, but I like to play some 80's songs here and there, I started playing in the heyday of 80's metal. I was thinking an inexpensive metal guitar would be a fun addition. I seem to keep gravitating towards the RGX line and Washburn mercury series. Both seem to get high praise in reviews.

I have been liking the Ibanez RG's, but prefer the prestige necks. They seem to be a little thicker. I can't play too long on the thin standard line.

My GAS list is long, like everyone. I was given the OK from my wife to go up to $1000, but I will try to keep it under $400. We have a lot of home improvements planned.

• Members

As mentioned, Yamaha's can be found made in...

Japan

Korea

Indonesia

Taiwan

All of them are solid, in fact I think their hand crafted top end acoustics are made in an Indonesian factory.

Great guitars, and too cheap for what you get. I've never been disappointed with any Yamaha I've bought.

• Members

The high end models are made in Japan. This includes electrics and acoustics.

The midrange models are made in Taiwan or Korea depending on the model.

The lower end models are made in Indonesia or China.

I know Yamaha has their own factories in Taiwan and Japan but the others are probably outsourced.

I wouldn't worry about where they're made, Yamaha seems to churn out good stuff no matter what factory does it.

• Members

For this price, I don't really care where they are made. I was just more curious. I hear they are all great quality. My first guitar was SE200. Cheap. I have no idea what the heck happened to it. My friend convinced me to let him scallop the neck, he did a {censored} job, and did not finish. I was left with a half done neck. I think my dad ended up tossing it in the trash. I then switched to a bridge pup, Floyd Rose Kramer. I tried to be Eddie.

• Members

For this price, I don't really care where they are made. I was just more curious. I hear they are all great quality. My first guitar was SE200. Cheap. I have no idea what the heck happened to it. My friend convinced me to let him scallop the neck, he did a {censored} job, and did not finish. I was left with a half done neck. I think my dad ended up tossing it in the trash. I then switched to a bridge pup, Floyd Rose Kramer. I tried to be Eddie.

If EVH and shred are your thing, then try to find the RGX from the 90s. You won't be sorry and, you won't need ANY Ibanez RGs.

• Members

As mentioned, Yamaha's can be found made in...

Japan

Korea

Indonesia

Taiwan

All of them are solid, in fact I think their hand crafted top end acoustics are made in an Indonesian factory.

Great guitars, and too cheap for what you get. I've never been disappointed with any Yamaha I've bought.

My Yamaha RGS 121 was made in Indonesia and dollar for dollar, it's the best guitar that I've bought for the money. It blows away most of my Epiphones costing five times as much. The action is low, the frets are well dressed and the pickups actually sounds decent.

• Members

I thought that the Taiwan factory closed only recently - 2007 or 2008?

Edit:

According to this article it was 2007.

I am sure the factory ended their operations in 2005. Maybe they were still blowing out stuffs until 2006, but by 2007 there's nothing left in there.

Trust me........I am in Taiwan.

• Members

I am sure the factory ended their operations in 2005. Maybe they were still blowing out stuffs until 2006, but by 2007 there's nothing left in there.

Trust me........I am in Taiwan.

I'm only going by what's in the article really. Perhaps Yamaha were in the process of downscaling production in Taiwan in 2005 and finally finished in 2007?

• Members

I'm only going by what's in the article really. Perhaps Yamaha were in the process of downscaling production in Taiwan in 2005 and finally finished in 2007?

I couldn't read the whole article cause I am not a member.

Anyway, all I know is that by 2007 there's nothing left. At least the folks at the major music shops here told me so.

• Members

Lowbrow had an older Yamaha that he bought to flip and I was kinda interested in it, but was disappointed to see it was made in Taiwan rather than Japan. Then I played it. I've owned two USA Kramers, a USA Jackson and a Japanese Jackson and that Yamaha was 95% as good as any of them. Not quite the 100% metal vibe, but outstandingly impressive and that was before it was fully cleaned and set up.

• Members

I've never been disappointed with any Yamaha I've bought.

Ditto. Regardless of the country of manufacture, the ones I've had were all great.

I will mention that they were also good regardless of price. My Pacifica 1421 was around $1600 and my AES720 was around $325 thanks to a blowout sale. Both were fine instruments.

• Members

Ditto. Regardless of the country of manufacture, the ones I've had were all great.

I will mention that they were also good regardless of price. My Pacifica 1421 was around $1600 and my AES720 was around $325 thanks to a blowout sale. Both were fine instruments.

You have a 1421? Pics, please! :thu:

Archived