best hollowbody under $1000?

thetrooper9

• Members

The High end Artcores are better, but the lower end models are really bad. I've played quite a few and they pale in comparison with the Epiphones I've played.

I like my Epi a lot, but since I recently bought an Eastman 805, she doesn't get much play any more, I'll probably end up selling or trading for an ES335 copy of some sort.

• Members

The High end Artcores are better, but the lower end models are really bad. I've played quite a few and they pale in comparison with the Epiphones I've played.

I like my Epi a lot, but since I recently bought an Eastman 805, she doesn't get much play any more, I'll probably end up selling or trading for an ES335 copy of some sort.

I the pups may be the problem with their lower end artcores. Some of those ibby pups are just lifeless and dull. Some models are also really heavy and don't resonate that great, especially considering they are semi's or hollowbodies.

• Members

I really love my Artcore AF105 custom. And I agree with the statement about the difference between the high end and lower end Artcores; all of the lower end ones I played (AF75, AS73, etc.) were not up to par with the similar Epiphones. But when you get into the upper models of Artcore (AF95, AF105, AS103, etc.) they seem to put a lot more work into them.

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

• Members

I the pups may be the problem with their lower end artcores. Some of those ibby pups are just lifeless and dull. Some models are also really heavy and don't resonate that great, especially considering they are semi's or hollowbodies.

Just saw this...

Yes, the pickups are part of the problem with the lower end Artcores, but the biggest problem for me was the fretwork. I can't believe the difference in fretwork between the AF75 and AF105 - they are really complely different guitars. AF75 has squared frets, no crowning, poorly shaped overall. AF105 fretwork is so smooth it is almost like playing a fretless guitar.

• Members

The only difference between the AF105 and AK100 is the body shape and the pickups.

AF105-custom 58s

AK100=Super 58s

AK100 has been discontinued.

if you don't like the sharp horn look of the AK100

i think sam ash online has the AF100 for 550. The AG is single cut and the horn is rounded

All of the 100 series were discontiued, all have the same pickups and body width and same size bout.

• Members

The only difference between the AF105 and AK100 is the body shape and the pickups.

AF105-custom 58s

AK100=Super 58s

AK100 has been discontinued.

if you don't like the sharp horn look of the AK100

i think sam ash online has the AG100 for 550. The AG is single cut and the horn is rounded

All of the 100 series were discontiued, all have the same pickups and body width and same size bout.

whats the difference of the tone of the pickups?

• Members

You should look into a used Heritage. For all effective purposes, Heritages ARE Gibsons - made in the old Gibson plant, by former Gibson employees. Just a different headstock. Beautiful woods, nitro finishes, PLEKed frets, handmade in the USA. Nothing against some of the imported guitars like Epis and Artcores, which are fine, but Heritage is definitely a big step up, totally pro instruments and worth dropping a bit more money.

I got a 535 (like a 335, so a semi) and it's killer. I play in a jazz big band and a quartet and it sounds awesome, and it is great for rock and blues stuff too. If you don't mind going used this is the way to go. They don't get much better than this. If you want a full hollow rather than a semi they make a bunch of those too.

I got this used for $1250, mint condition, bought it off a Berklee prof if that tells you anything.

amps_0088.jpg

I have some YouTube demos in my sig but they're done with a built in mic...and besides, this guy is alot better at playing guitar than me ;)

[YOUTUBE]btBiveutipk[/YOUTUBE]

Archived