Original Floyd Rose Vs. Floyd Rose Special: Difference???

xfactor27

• Members

I was just on the Guitarpartsdepot.com web site and they're stock includes a Floyd Rose Special Trem system for a $100 less than Schalller or the OFR.

Anyone know what's the difference other than the price. Material used maybe?

Designs seem to be the same and both models are hardened.

Curious as to whether anyone knows.

DJ

• Members

I asked this question last week and didn't get much response. What I did get said it looked real good and worth a shot at that price. No real users though. Reality is it will probably be as good as any stock trem on a quality guitar. Hundreds if not thousands of guys play them forever. They sell too many for them not to. The only style I can comment on as being bad I had one of those Schaller looking knockoffs from e-bay that would never return to pitch. Some guys say all the trems work good new but wear out quickly. That one was junk from the word go.

• Members

Now that this is pointed out, yes, I do agree with wearability and probably the zinc will have a lot to do with the tone difference, also.

Are there pros and cons with going with a brass trem block???

Seeing as I'm really wanting to dive in "detail" wise on this subject.

My OCD is kickin' in....LOL!!

DJ

• Members

I would venture to guess that the metal on the plate itself (not replaceable) is probably of a lesser quality. The writing looks a lot like the "Floyd Rose" by Ping. The plating on my Ping came off the baseplate after about 6 months of light use (I'm mainly an LP guy).

I ended up selling the guitar with the Ping and getting a couple Kramer Foci from the 80's with OFR trems. They sound/respond/hold up better than the Ping.

Granted, this is pure speculation. I've never seen or heard of the "Special" model before today, but I'm guessing it's not made in the German factory where the OFR and Schallers are made.

Archived