Any other R0 Historics in the house?..Pics please.

phil47uk

• Members

The R0 1960 Historic is probably the rarest Custom shop Les Paul, compared to say R8's and R9's and at present there only about nine or ten in the UK. ( If that ). Very hard guitars to find in Europe and all the ones I know of have been imported privately from the States.

Great guitars.. Gorgeous necks.. Anyone here got any pics of theirs ( G0's included ).

Here's a link to some pics.

2003 1960 Custom shop Historic ( gloss )

Click on pics to enlarge. Also notice how the reds in the burst have begun to fade to a more red/brown, with natural ageing

• Members

I guess it's just me and you bro. I'm glad I grabbed my R0 when I did (05) the prices now scare me a bit. It also seems the norm lately is 9-9.5 lbs. Mine is a comfy 8.5

large.jpg

large.jpg

Hi bigconig.. Yeah doesn't look there are many R0 owners around.. They don't know what they are misssing..LOL

Always love to see the pic of yours...Gorgeous guitar. Love the colour..:thu:

Ya never know, perhaps someone else will post some pics.

The funny thing is that everyone raves on about Koss's sound.. Clapton's Beano sound...Pages sound etc etc.. And the tone they like all came from slim necks..

• Members

:mad:

Do you know there are none for sale on the Internet? A gorgeous one went on LPF last fall or so. Heartbreakingly beautiful.
:cry:

You are right, there aren't that many for sale. Well not compared to R8's and 9's. There are only about nine in the UK.

The slimmer neck ( Not at all like a Standard or a Classic ) gives a lovely open woody acoustic tone. Not as bassy as the fatter necks, but more mids.

Not superior or inferior..Just different.

Well at least that's my theory after a a few experiments and funnily enough the finding of many other people too.

• Members

I'm an R9 fan, have a few, but have never played an R0.

Phil - i love looking at old humph, it's one of my fave guitars
:thu:
And BC, yours is a real shostopper too!

Thanks Takeaway,

Hey, if you are ever down west Dorset way man, you'll have to try old Humph out. :thu:

Blimey..Not much of a take on R0's so far. Perhaps they are even rarer than we thought..

HumphreyA.jpg

• Members

Gorgeous guitar 59Humbucker..
I wonder if it has a neck like my old 68 Custom.. I sold it years ago,. but I'll try to dig up a couple of old pics. Does it have the 50's shoulders?

As far as I can tell, it's the same neck that's on the R0/GO. I tried it against a G0 when I got it and they were very similar in feel. Apparently the burst 68ri usually have massive necks and come in triburst or natural, whereas this GC exclusive has the custom shop 60's neck and washed cherry finish.

I should really pull the neck p'up to see if like the GO it's stamepd R0.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with it (though I'm familiar with Humph from the LPF and have admired him from afar)

• Members

As far as I can tell, it's the same neck that's on the R0/GO. I tried it against a G0 when I got it and they were very similar in feel. Apparently the burst 68ri usually have massive necks and come in triburst or natural, whereas this GC exclusive has the custom shop 60's neck and washed cherry finish.

I should really pull the neck p'up to see if like the GO it's stamepd R0.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with it (though I'm familiar with Humph from the LPF and have admired him from afar)

Now that's strange, because no les Paul custom I ever had from that late 60's early 70's era ever had a fat neck.. I wouldn't have bought it if it did... LOL.

If I hadn't have bought old Humph, I would have certainly gone for a G0.. I think they are great guitars..

• Members

I've never understood the R0 - R9 designations... someone wanna school me?

'R' designates Reissue, the number designates the last number of the particular year, so

R4 - 1954 Reissue, R6 - 1956 Reissue, R7 - 1957 Reissue, etc.

EDIT: dang, beat me!

• Members

R0 -
R
eissue 196

R9 -
R
eissue 195

R8 -
R
eissue 195

R7 -
R
eissue 195

R6 -
R
eissue 195

R4 -
R
eissue 195

Kind of makes sense once you know...

The R0 ( 1960 ) also differs from the other Historics in the fact that like the originals Gibson introduced the slimmer taper neck on Les Pauls in 1960.

• Members

Not a R0, but a 68ri. This was a GC exclusive and is essentially an R0 with an ebony board. You're right about the neck, pure heaven, a bit more sizable than a classic, not as big as a 50's.

4q6g9w9.jpg

This is not a dig (that's a beautiful guitar), but that top doesn't look like it was bookmatched very well - if at all. Is it not supposed to be?

I was under the impression that most or all high-end flame tops were bookmatched.

• Members

Now that's strange, because no les Paul custom I ever had from that late 60's early 70's era ever had a fat neck.. I wouldn't have bought it if it did... LOL.

If I hadn't have bought old Humph, I would have certainly gone for a G0.. I think they are great guitars..

I think it's just a Gibson thing. IIRC there were not figure topped burst finished customs in 68 either.

I certainly liked the G0 and would buy one in a heartbeat, but AB'd against the custom, the custom won

• Members

This is not a dig (that's a beautiful guitar), but that top doesn't look like it was bookmatched very well - if at all. Is it not supposed to be?

I was under the impression that most or all high-end flame tops were bookmatched.

It's bookmatched, just not perfectly, but you'll find that with many 2 piece flame tops.

• Members

I think it's just a Gibson thing. IIRC there were not figure topped burst finished customs in 68 either.

I certainly liked the G0 and would buy one in a heartbeat, but AB'd against the custom, the custom won

Here's a pic of an old Custom I had many years ago. I was working with Joe Brown and P. J Proby at the time...Hell. that old fella sure did some gigs..LOL

!972LPCustom.jpg

Archived