'61 Telecaster - real or fake?

• Members

Where can I find some good info to help me tell if this tele is really a '61 Tele?

Can anyone suggest some good links to sites with this info?

Serial number on the neck plate is 59987.

The guy is asking $400. Should I buy it?

Here are some pics for the vintage experts.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

• Members

'61 Tele for $400 = fail. Could have gotten that neck plate from anywhere.

Real one's go for anything between $20,000 - $25,000, so it's clearly buyer beware here.

Real single early 60's Tele pick-ups sell for much more than $400, apiece!

• Members

Is that the same one as this one...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2318126

Same information applies...it's not a '61 neck (should be rosewood), it's not a '61 pickguard (should be white/mint), that's not a '61 neck joint, those aren't '61 fretmarkers (too wide), and that isn't a '61 finish (it's easily some sort of poly, the neck finish is satin poly). And it's not a '61 logo. Plus, notice how the pickguard isn't cut round around the neck joint.

Anyone should be able to spot that's a relatively recent import. Does it really only take a $8 neck plate, which can be bought with any random '50's or '60's serial number for many dealers, to fool people these days?

• Members

Is that the same one as this one...

Same information applies...it's not a '61 neck (should be rosewood), it's not a '61 pickguard (should be white/mint), that's not a '61 neck joint, those aren't '61 fretmarkers (too wide), and that isn't a '61 finish (it's easily some sort of poly, the neck finish is satin poly). And it's not a '61 logo. Plus, notice how the pickguard isn't cut round around the neck joint.

Anyone should be able to spot that's a relatively recent import. Does it really only take a $8 neck plate, which can be bought with any random '50's or '60's serial number for many dealers, to fool people these days?

It IS the same guitar and same serial number. The guy selling it doesn't claim the guitar is a '61 Telem but he says: "From what I can tell, it's some sort of vintage telecaster. seeing as true vintage usa made tele's usually go for several thousands, my guess is that this is not one of those (but if i'm wrong, i'm probably making the bigest mistake EVER). "

From the story on the other thread, this guitar changed hands yesterday for $500 and now the new owner is selling for $400. The new owner claims his wife is making him sell it.

It is definately not a '61. But is it worth $400?

• Members

It IS the same guitar and same serial number. The guy selling it doesn't claim the guitar is a '61 Telem but he says: "
From what I can tell, it's some sort of vintage telecaster. seeing as true vintage usa made tele's usually go for several thousands, my guess is that this is not one of those (but if i'm wrong, i'm probably making the bigest mistake EVER). "

From the story on the other thread, this guitar changed hands yesterday for $500 and now the new owner is selling for $400. The new owner claims his wife is making him sell it.

It is definately not a '61. But is it worth $400?

I dunno...looks like a MIM 50's Classic Tele neck slapped on some import body, with no further efforts at vintage mockery save for that plate S/N. :idk:

• Members

'61 Tele for $400 = fail. Could have gotten that neck plate from anywhere.

Real one's go for anything between $20,000 - $25,000, so it's clearly buyer beware here.

Wow, I sold my 61 Tele in 1970 for $75.00:eek:

• Members

Everyone is dating this tele by the neck plate alone. Not a good idea.

http://jimshine.com/Neckplate%20ID/neckplate.htm

Yes, neckplate with fake serial numbers are pretty readily available. I got one that came on a partscaster strat off ebay several years ago. If you look closely the font doesn't match the original. My guess is this "61 tele" neckplate came from the same place mine did.

Here's mine.

100_2796.jpg

Here are examples of real vintage Fender neckplates.

Fenderneckplate.jpg

Archived