whats so great about Janes Addiction?

cheezusbhrist

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry man. If you weren't there in '88 during the Nothing's Shocking tour, and didn't see them in a dingy little club before they were big, (City Gardens, NJ) playing their hearts out, (top 10 show for me) and didn't see Perry fondled by Navarro after unzipping his plastic "onsies", and, didn't hear the devastating musicianship or see the entire crowd in the palm of their hands, nor did you sense years of utter crap music being washed away years before Nirvana, you may not get it. However, I remember them fondly and respect them immensely for their contribution. Wish they hadn't broken up so soon. You had to be there.

Patrick

• Members

Their history is colored, their frontman looks like the junkie who never died, and well, the original band couldn't play together again ever ....

Anyway the shoplifting song was just pure scratch.

Did he really fart in the microphone during the solo?

• Members

Maybe a better question is, what's so wrong with them?

I always thought they were kinda original. To each their own.

The cool thing about music is if you don't like it you don't have to listen...unless you were locked away in Guantanimo.

[YOUTUBE]hvDNMRZLL-0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Um, possibly the best guitarist/frontman duo in the history of
alternative rock
. Other than that, not much.

That's probably why I don't like them. To me, alternative is the Sturgeon's Law genre.

Flame away for me having a closed mind.

• Members

I'm sorry man. If you weren't there in '88 during the Nothing's Shocking tour, and didn't see them in a dingy little club before they were big, (City Gardens, NJ) playing their hearts out, (top 10 show for me) and didn't see Perry fondled by Navarro after unzipping his plastic "onsies", and, didn't hear the devastating musicianship or see the entire crowd in the palm of their hands, nor did you sense years of utter crap music being washed away years before Nirvana, you may not get it. However, I remember them fondly and respect them immensely for their contribution. Wish they hadn't broken up so soon. You had to be there.

Patrick

this. {censored}y gardens was an amazing place.

• Members

+ eleventy billion. Probably one of my most hated songs of all time.

I hated that song too - to the point where I totally dismissed them because of it. I didn't know their other material was totally different until a friend basically forced me to listen to Nothing's Shocking. To hear "Mother Ocean" for the first time after years of {censored}ty synthpop and spandex-metal bands was an amazing experience. It was everything that was great about 80s metal, college alt-rock, and LA sleaze all rolled up into one enormous wall of sound.

• Members
everytime ive heard them i think "wow these guys kinda suck" and their cover of "sympathy for the devil" was awful

maybe you just don't like them./ There are lots of bands that are very good but that I have no interest in at all.

• Members

what was that tune about surfing that Janes did? has that really cool drum beat to is and some kinda clap bord sound... sorry to jack the thread but I really like them and put them in the same camp as soundgarden and Pearl Jam.. really good solid stuff

• Members

The tunes that got airplay -- "Jane Says" and "Been Caught Stealing" -- are the two songs of theirs that I dislike the most. Their cover of "Sympathy for the Devil" sucked too, but so has every other cover of that song that I've ever heard. Every album of theirs had at least a couple songs that I skip past every time, and Perry's voice was annoying in places.

That said, if you were around and aware of the state of popular music and hard rock in 1988-89, you understood. Drop "Up the Beach," "Ocean Size," "Mountain Song," or "Summertime Rolls" on any room full of rockers around that time and watch their jaws hit the floor. "Three Days" and "Then She Did ..." off Ritual were also amazing. Henry Rollins's liner notes off their later partly-live album captured it pretty well.

Archived