Yamaha AEX500

Elias Graves

• Members

OK, so I'm up at GC ogling the wood. There's an interesting little thinline hollowbody up behind the counter with a Yamaha logo on it. Single cutaway, sunburst with a gold trap tailpiece and a single mini humbucker at the neck. Intrigued, I ask the helpful young man at the counter about it. He tells me it's a ten-ish year old AEX500 with a piezo in the bridge. It has an active control panel with EQ on it. Fascinating.

Turns out, this is a very early hybrid guitar. It plays like a dream, has a spruce(?) top and has a pleasant, if quiet, acoustic sound.

I played it for a good bit and the maple neck with rosewood board feels as good as most anything. A Fender like neck. A little wide and fairly thin.

The blend pot for the two pickups make for some really nice tones. Even mixing between the minibucker and piezo. I'm intersted.

A very well made guitar, as with most things Yamaha. I'm guessing $500 given the 8.5 condition. So I ask.

$239. With hard case.

Anybody know of these? Is there some evil trait these things have I'm not aware of? I've been looking for a new hollowbody and this seems like a steal. Clue me in. I'm on the mobile, would someone be kind enough to Google a pic and put it up?

Should I hit it? This really seems like a bargain.

EG

• Members

OK, so I'm up at GC ogling the wood. There's an interesting little thinline hollowbody up behind the counter with a Yamaha logo on it. Single cutaway, sunburst with a gold trap tailpiece and a single mini humbucker at the neck. Intrigued, I ask the helpful young man at the counter about it. He tells me it's a ten-ish year old AEX500 with a piezo in the bridge. It has an active control panel with EQ on it. Fascinating.

Turns out, this is a very early hybrid guitar. It plays like a dream, has a spruce(?) top and has a pleasant, if quiet, acoustic sound.

I played it for a good bit and the maple neck with rosewood board feels as good as most anything. A Fender like neck. A little wide and fairly thin.

The blend pot for the two pickups make for some really nice tones. Even mixing between the minibucker and piezo. I'm intersted.

A very well made guitar, as with most things Yamaha. I'm guessing $500 given the 8.5 condition. So I ask.

$239. With hard case.

Anybody know of these? Is there some evil trait these things have I'm not aware of? I've been looking for a new hollowbody and this seems like a steal. Clue me in. I'm on the mobile, would someone be kind enough to Google a pic and put it up?

Should I hit it? This really seems like a bargain.

EG

the resell value reflects the name on the headstock bud...if it play good,and you're feelin it...go for it...hell,but the yammy and the epi...

Damon

• Members

$240 bucks? I'd buy that without hesitation.

The ae#-500 series had a few iterations - nylon string, dual p-90, dual mini-hum, and the acoustic electric. I remember trying a few when they came out. They went for around $700 back then, I think.

I can't say I've heard anything negative about them, like most yamahas.

edit - make sure it's still got the trapeze tailpiece, some people removed them. it's a cool design - by anchoring to the tailpiece instead of a bridge, you can use heavier strings without lifting the bridge. works very well with the flat top design.

• Members

$239. With hard case.

EG

Buy it.

GTF off the interwebs and BUY IT.

• Members

Still has the trap tailpiece. The gold is a little oxidized, but not bad. Couple of dings in the back but nothing through the finish. Noticed some noise from the jack when the cable moves. Not sure if that's from the jack or the cable.

Trying to put cash together now.

EG

• Members

Called GC. It's still there. Going over in a few hours. They pulled it off the floor and put it in back for me. I'm gonna give it a good going over to make sure I didn't miss a problem with it. Need to make sure it's as nice as I remember.

I looked at it pretty objectively I think. When I fist picked it up I was just checking it out. I figured it was pretty pricey as nice as it was. Had no intention of buying it til I heard the price.

I'm going to have the most bizarre collection of guitars.

EG

Archived