No announcement yet.

Yamaha AEX500

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha AEX500

OK, so I'm up at GC ogling the wood. There's an interesting little thinline hollowbody up behind the counter with a Yamaha logo on it. Single cutaway, sunburst with a gold trap tailpiece and a single mini humbucker at the neck. Intrigued, I ask the helpful young man at the counter about it. He tells me it's a ten-ish year old AEX500 with a piezo in the bridge. It has an active control panel with EQ on it. Fascinating.

Turns out, this is a very early hybrid guitar. It plays like a dream, has a spruce(?) top and has a pleasant, if quiet, acoustic sound.

I played it for a good bit and the maple neck with rosewood board feels as good as most anything. A Fender like neck. A little wide and fairly thin.

The blend pot for the two pickups make for some really nice tones. Even mixing between the minibucker and piezo. I'm intersted.

A very well made guitar, as with most things Yamaha. I'm guessing $500 given the 8.5 condition. So I ask.

$239. With hard case.

Anybody know of these? Is there some evil trait these things have I'm not aware of? I've been looking for a new hollowbody and this seems like a steal. Clue me in. I'm on the mobile, would someone be kind enough to Google a pic and put it up?

Should I hit it? This really seems like a bargain.

EG
    We're not in Kansas anymore.

OK, so I'm up at GC ogling the wood. There's an interesting little thinline hollowbody up behind the counter with a Yamaha logo on it. Single cutaway, sunburst with a gold trap tailpiece and a single mini humbucker at the neck. Intrigued, I ask the helpful young man at the counter about it. He tells me it's a ten-ish year old AEX500 with a piezo in the bridge. It has an active control panel with EQ on it. Fascinating.

Turns out, this is a very early hybrid guitar. It plays like a dream, has a spruce(?) top and has a pleasant, if quiet, acoustic sound.

I played it for a good bit and the maple neck with rosewood board feels as good as most anything. A Fender like neck. A little wide and fairly thin.

The blend pot for the two pickups make for some really nice tones. Even mixing between the minibucker and piezo. I'm intersted.

A very well made guitar, as with most things Yamaha. I'm guessing $500 given the 8.5 condition. So I ask.

$239. With hard case.

Anybody know of these? Is there some evil trait these things have I'm not aware of? I've been looking for a new hollowbody and this seems like a steal. Clue me in. I'm on the mobile, would someone be kind enough to Google a pic and put it up?

Should I hit it? This really seems like a bargain.

EG

the resell value reflects the name on the headstock bud...if it play good,and you're feelin it...go for it...hell,but the yammy and the epi...

Damon
    GUITARS:
    Fender MIM Standard Strat
    Hand Made SG Replica
    Epiphone DOT Studio
    Westbury Standard
    Cort X-5
    New Dawn Signature Prototype
    Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
    Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
    AMPS:
    Crate VC3112
    Fender Mustang II

Proud Rose Pickups and Rose Petal Effects user

My Good Deals

Comment

$240 bucks? I'd buy that without hesitation.

The ae#-500 series had a few iterations - nylon string, dual p-90, dual mini-hum, and the acoustic electric. I remember trying a few when they came out. They went for around $700 back then, I think.

I can't say I've heard anything negative about them, like most yamahas.

edit - make sure it's still got the trapeze tailpiece, some people removed them. it's a cool design - by anchoring to the tailpiece instead of a bridge, you can use heavier strings without lifting the bridge. works very well with the flat top design.

Comment

$239. With hard case.

EG

Buy it.

GTF off the interwebs and BUY IT.
        "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Yeah, grab it. That's the budget version of the AEX1500 that Martin Taylor used.
          Originally Posted By Trace-P38
          Flogger wins.

Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
          Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.

Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
          Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush

http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

Comment

Still has the trap tailpiece. The gold is a little oxidized, but not bad. Couple of dings in the back but nothing through the finish. Noticed some noise from the jack when the cable moves. Not sure if that's from the jack or the cable.

Trying to put cash together now.

EG

Comment

Got the $ together. Going back this morning. Hope it's still there.

EG

Comment

According to the Yamaha site, they were $699.00 in 1998. No pic,though.
                HCGB #332 YAMAHOLIC

Originally Posted by mistersully

if i was in the jungle and got stuck in quicksand... and someone reached out to me with that guitar and said "here, grab hold of this and i'll pull you out"... i'd try and remember the good times when the grainy goo filled my ears and nostrils

Comment

Runnnnnn!!!!!
                  Great Deals

Originally Posted by jjpistols

Damn son! Not only are you a master dealer, I also crown you king of the multiquote!

PLATINUM TRADER + 20

M*B*M
                  SG ARMY: pfc, res.
                  Ibanez Art Corps

Comment

Yamaha makes good stuff....can't go wrong for 239
                    Good trades with DCinDC and Used666

Originally Posted by Puckman

Not all music has to be upbeat...Last I checked, half of Zeppelin's repertoire was boring-ass slow acoustic tunes.

Comment

Called GC. It's still there. Going over in a few hours. They pulled it off the floor and put it in back for me. I'm gonna give it a good going over to make sure I didn't miss a problem with it. Need to make sure it's as nice as I remember.

I looked at it pretty objectively I think. When I fist picked it up I was just checking it out. I figured it was pretty pricey as nice as it was. Had no intention of buying it til I heard the price.

I'm going to have the most bizarre collection of guitars.

EG

Comment

Looking forward to this particular NGD. Good luck!

Comment

Can't find a pic that matches that description - saw a few without tail piece & without bucker.

Looking forward to EG most fabulous fantastic NGD thread!!!!!!
                          Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

I'm going in.

EG

Comment

u can dooo eeeeeeeeeet!!!!
                              Equiperate EMGers club
                              Proud member of the Squier Army
                              HCEG Geezer Brigade Trooper #352

HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

Zemmyfest II
                              October 8, 2011

Originally Posted by The Pope

Obama is conservative...got anything else?

Comment

Working...
                              X