how many pieces of wood are sg fadeds?

twotimingpete

• Members

I've heard many different stories. one I played LOOKED like 2 pieces but I'm not very good at telling things things sometimes. someone else might see 3.

the question is, how many pieces are they, and does the wood and number of pieces of wood differ from the SG standards?

• Members

Mine looks like 2 pieces. But I've seen a couple that were three.

Personally I care less about how many pieces vs how well they blend. Sometimes the difference in grain is shocking, looking like 1 piece of mahogany and one piece of a completely different wood.

P1070065a1.jpg

• Members

I've been wondering about these Faded SGs. A pawn shop by me has a Faded SG, I believe it's a 2003 or 2004. It's in very good shape and I think it's one with an ebony fretboard. Doesn't have those crsecent moon-shaped inlays, but it looks very different than a rosewood fretboard, it's almost black looking. They have it for sale for $500 with a case. Did they make an ebony board Faded SG without those crescent moon inlays?

Good deal, just okay deal, or keep looking?

• Members

I've been wondering about these Faded SGs. A pawn shop by me has a Faded SG, I believe it's a 2003 or 2004. It's in very good shape and I think it's one with an ebony fretboard. Doesn't have those crsecent moon-shaped inlays, but it looks very different than a rosewood fretboard, it's almost black looking. They have it for sale for $500 with a case. Did they make an ebony board Faded SG without those crescent moon inlays?

Not that I know of. Maybe a former owner dyed it? A close inspection of the grain would prol' tell.

Does it come with a case? The price hike of Gibson brought the faded models up to around $899.00 with gig-bag, though some places like MF for example have recently kicked them down to a more reasonable $699.00.

$500 is a fair price (imo) for a clean original model.

• Members

That was a strange thing about the fretboard- I looked closely at it, and I really couldn't see any 'grain' like you see on a rosewood board. Just had that flat, kind of lead color that looked like ebony. I believe it was a 2003.

It did come with a case. If I can get him down to $400 it's a no-brainer, but $500 that seems like it's in regular CraigsList pricing.

• Members

I've heard many different stories. one I played LOOKED like 2 pieces but I'm not very good at telling things things sometimes. someone else might see 3.

the question is, how many pieces are they, and does the wood and number of pieces of wood differ from the SG standards?

current sg standards are 2 piece centre joined from what ive seen. the fadeds are 3 to 5 pieces.

• Members

so there's definitely more than just cosmetic differences between the faded and the standard? -- I guess that's what I was ultimately getting at.

the faded special has a fatter neck I am told. to some that is a bad thing to me it is the best neck I have (well along with my G&L legacy). there is a youtube video comparing the standard to the faded, truthfully I like the faded sound quite a bit more. more opened and raw plus more vintigy. [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

so there's definitely more than just cosmetic differences between the faded and the standard? -- I guess that's what I was ultimately getting at.

Yea, there is. They feel alot different. My 06 standard was one piece.

• Members

Not a bad price, its sounds like its either a late 03 or early 04. When they discontinued the moons they did put out some with ebony boards and dots. I had one a few years ago. My guess is they where using up what ebony boards theu had left from the moons. BTW my Faded's a 2 piece.

• Members

i consider pieces of wood cosmetic.

the key differences on the standard are pickups, fretboard binding and neck profile. the rest is cosmetic.

• Members

Not a bad price, its sounds like its either a late 03 or early 04. When they discontinued the moons they did put out some with ebony boards and dots. I had one a few years ago. My guess is they where using up what ebony boards theu had left from the moons. BTW my Faded's a 2 piece.

Thanks for the info NOS68.

• Members

Did they make an ebony board Faded SG without those crescent moon inlays?

I've got one, a 2003 with dots and an ebony board. It's got an ugly streak in it, but it's definitely ebony.

• Members

If it's got the right vibe, does it really matter? My PRS SE single cut w/P-90's

is "some" pieces, but resonates better than most guitars I've played at any price point.

It's true. But If your going to use multiple pieces with a clear finish, there's no excuse for not trying to match them. Some of the fadeds are matched well, most I have seen are... bad.

Ok, Mr. Fish. Find a seam and I'll paypal you a dollar. I can take pictures of the edges of the body if needed. I used a polishing compound on the back, that's the whitish gunk in the grain (if anyone has an idea how to get that out, I'd be eternally greatful)

Old pic:

SGartsie001.jpg

SDC10878.jpg

SDC10879.jpg

SDC10880.jpg

SDC10881.jpg

SDC10882.jpg

SDC10883.jpg

SDC10884.jpg

SDC10885.jpg

Archived