Any good Luthiers in Iowa? Need a nut cut

Citizen_Insane

• Members

I live in Ames, which is smack dab in the middle of Iowa. There are NO good luthiers that I've heard of anywhere except The Lutherie shop in Des Moines, and they want $70 to cut a nut for my telecaster.

I hate Reiman music, they suck and I hear they do terrible tech work, I'm not taking it to them.

Anyone know of any other decent luthiers that aren't going to try and rip me off? If not, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy a set of nut files and learn to do it myself.

• Members

Yeah, but for $70 I can get a set of nut files from Warmoth and cut nuts until eternity for free.

do you know how to do it accurately? My boss had a new nut installed and a little fret leveling done by them on his Martin for under $100.

• Members

:wave: Cool to see another guy from Ames on here.

I haven't had any bad experiences with Reiman's tech work, but if you want someone else to do it, I'd give Jeff and Scott at Deluxe Guitars a call (255-1188.). They are a new used/vintage gear store, but they have a long history in the tech business.

• Members

I have been learning to do my own work as needed because I haven't heard of anyone near me.

My dogs keep dragging deer legs up by the house and as a result I have 2 nice dry bones from last year that I might try to turn into a guitar nut.

boatsandbikes0242.jpg

Archived