No announcement yet.

Any good Luthiers in Iowa? Need a nut cut

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good Luthiers in Iowa? Need a nut cut

I live in Ames, which is smack dab in the middle of Iowa. There are NO good luthiers that I've heard of anywhere except The Lutherie shop in Des Moines, and they want $70 to cut a nut for my telecaster.

I hate Reiman music, they suck and I hear they do terrible tech work, I'm not taking it to them.

Anyone know of any other decent luthiers that aren't going to try and rip me off? If not, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy a set of nut files and learn to do it myself.

That's who I was going to mention. I've heard great things about them, and they aren't too bad in price for the quality of work.
    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
    -For Sale:
    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Yeah, but for $70 I can get a set of nut files from Warmoth and cut nuts until eternity for free.

Comment

Yeah, but for $70 I can get a set of nut files from Warmoth and cut nuts until eternity for free.

do you know how to do it accurately? My boss had a new nut installed and a little fret leveling done by them on his Martin for under $100.
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
        -For Sale:
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

I have gone to Bob's guitars in Cedar Falls for some work.

Comment

Cool to see another guy from Ames on here.

I haven't had any bad experiences with Reiman's tech work, but if you want someone else to do it, I'd give Jeff and Scott at Deluxe Guitars a call (255-1188.). They are a new used/vintage gear store, but they have a long history in the tech business.
            Originally Posted by GordonFreeman

Seriously now, are you all so IQ challenged that in 50+ pages no one yet stepped in to get it over and move on? Wow.
            If you STILL laugh at more poncho/**************** sauce posts, you must be medically brain dead. And by that I mean very, very stupid.

Gear

Gibson SG Classic
            Fender HWY 1 Strat
            Epi G400
            Arbor AP230
            Squier Affinity Strat
            Yamaha RGX120D
            Squier CV Tele
            Jackson Dinky Pro
            '93 Hamer Special FM

Yamaha FG700S

Vox AD50VT
            '76 Bassman 100
            Peavey Classic 100
            60s Vox Student

Comment

I have been learning to do my own work as needed because I haven't heard of anyone near me.
              My dogs keep dragging deer legs up by the house and as a result I have 2 nice dry bones from last year that I might try to turn into a guitar nut.
              Originally Posted by dudeman1967

It seems that ball sweat and talc would make some kind of scrotum paste or nut gravy.

Both of which would make great band names.

Comment

Working...
              X