fender serial number lookup

harvey metcall

• Members

You can make a guess of date for anything US made after mid 1976, which is when Fender introduced their current dating system where a letter indicates the decade and the first number indicates the year of the decade. S=1970s, E=1980s, N=1990s, and Z=2000s. But to be sure of the age you need to consider things like the features on your instrument, and if at all possible check out things like date markings on the body end of the neck, pot codes, and so on. Fender tends to use up serial number decals until they're gone, so an instrument can be months or even years newer than the serial may indicate ie Fender apparently used S9 serial numbers into 1981, and E3 and E4 serial numbers turned up on early American Standard and Plus instruments made in '87 and '88. Not to mention that mistakes happen, like some 1990 instruments that have N9 serial numbers due to a printing error.

• Members

Thanks Tim. It's a tobacco sunburst tele custom with a maple neck. 1 humbucker looking pup in neck postion and a single at the bridge. Only bad thing is the wiring is screwed up so I can only use the bridge pup. the only thing on it is the serial number- 515622. Cant find anything else.

• Members

Thanks seaofstrings. That's what I needed. My brother bought the guitar from his music teacher in 82 to 86 and he said he thought it was a 70s model. Looks like it's a 76 model. By all the dents and scatches I would say it's that old. But it plays like butter and holds a tune very well. Not bad for a "begining all over" guitar. Thanks everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

How about a specific model.

I am going to look at a used mexican 50's classic tomorrow

I know how to date from the serial number but is there anyway to tell if it is a 50's classic from other than the features

Thanks

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Someone selling a '86 Strat. He doesn't know where is it make but he provides a serial number FO 28952. I can't find any info about a SN starts with FO. Anybody?

F prefix is a made in Japan strat from the 80s. Click on the first link in the post from seaofstrings.

Archived