Which Les Paul Should I Get?

Sigel_TTD

• Members

they all sound pretty similar. Save for the Les Paul Studio with the solid mahogany top, all Gibson LPs use the same wood for construction. Pickups vary, but for the most part they'll all get you that crushing tone that will sustain for days and play like butter.

• Members

they all sound pretty similar. Save for the Les Paul Studio with the solid mahogany top, all Gibson LPs use the same wood for construction. Pickups vary, but for the most part they'll all get you that crushing tone that will sustain for days and play like butter.

Even though its way out of my price range, how does a Custom compare to a Studio? And would it be better to go with an ebony or rosewood fretboard?

• Members

An ebony fretboard generally gives a very, very slight increase in the brightness, but many people report that they don't hear this.

If I were in the market for another LP I would be looking at buying a LPTraditional. Ice Tea colour :)

It has a '57 Classic Plus pickups and a plek job on the frets as standard.

562506.jpg

• Members

I feel it's time to buy my first Gibson
:cool:

Which Les Paul is going to give me the absolute thickest, most crushing tone that will sustain for days and play like butter?

Vintage Mahogay model w Duncan A2P's, or a set of '59s, depending on your idea of warm thikk tone :thu:

• Members

If new, a Traditional. Just make sure you like the 50s neck. The Traditional is not chambered like the new standard. If used, get a early 90s Standard or Custom. I have had a few 80s and played a few 70s models. The 90s are more consistent, although if you find a good early 80s model they can be sweet.

• Members

^^^

Good point there from 996.

The 2 neck profiles that Gibson use are very different.

You would need to try out both the 50's 'thick' neck and the 60's 'slim taper' neck and see what one suits you best.

Personally I prefer the 60's slim taper neck, but it's all down to the individual preference.

• Members

I also prefer the 60s neck. Here an Iced tea Traditional for ya.

An ebony fretboard generally gives a very, very slight increase in the brightness, but many people report that they don't hear this.

If I were in the market for another LP I would be looking at buying a LPTraditional. Ice Tea colour
:)

It has a '57 Classic Plus pickups and a plek job on the frets as standard.

562506.jpg

• Members

I just got a Traditional Pro exclusive to MF/ GC,57/BB3 pups ,locking tuners, satin finish on back ,neck,sides,cheaper than the regular Traditional (like it better than my 58 vos) & has gotten very popular on the LP boards ,this thing sounds & feels great

• Members

I have a 58 reissue VOS and it BADASS! I got it for 2300.00 new on eBay. It has the huge 50s neck and I love it. It's got a fat neck and it's heavy like a LP should be. More wood on the neck, more tone. I never want another guitar.

Try out some LPs and whatever you do, don't make price a factor. I'm sure i'll catch some flack for saying that, but that's what I think. My Les Paul new Musicians Friend price is 3700.00. Thats f'ing ridiculous if you ask me, but I will have this guitar forever. I'm a working musician and I've always had decent guitars that I'd try to make myself love. It never worked. I finally have my dream guitar and I am in heaven.

• Members

Awesome. Glad you found your perfect axe. I know what you mean about trying to love a guitar and then one comes along. I have two like that. A beat to hell 68 Les Paul that I have had since 1981 and a 2005 Strat Deluxe that I cannot put down. I have had many other guitars that I thought would be the ones and never melded with them.

I have a 58 reissue VOS and it BADASS! I got it for 2300.00 new on eBay. It has the huge 50s neck and I love it. It's got a fat neck and it's heavy like a LP should be. More wood on the neck, more tone. I never want another guitar.

Try out some LPs and whatever you do, don't make price a factor. I'm sure i'll catch some flack for saying that, but that's what I think. My Les Paul new Musicians Friend price is 3700.00. Thats f'ing ridiculous if you ask me, but I will have this guitar forever. I'm a working musician and I've always had decent guitars that I'd try to make myself love. It never worked. I finally have my dream guitar and I am in heaven.

• Members

Ok I guess I should specify a few things:

This guitar will be used for doom/experimental music.

1. I will be buying used.
2. In terms of tone I want something that is thick and crushing not so much "warm".
3. I will most likely be swapping out the pickups so I'm mainly concerned with the general tone/sustain from the wood(s), more than what pups come stock.

Having said that, is there a difference in playability between rosewood and ebony? Would you guys care to break-down the difference in neck profiles? For example, do all customs have the same neck profile or does it vary depending on when it was built?

Archived