X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Les Paul Should I Get?

I feel it's time to buy my first Gibson

Which Les Paul is going to give me the absolute thickest, most crushing tone that will sustain for days and play like butter?
    Framus Cobra
    Ibanez RGT320Q
    Epiphone Lp Custom
    Genz-Benz G-Flex 4x12
    Maxon OD808
    ISP Decimator

they all sound pretty similar. Save for the Les Paul Studio with the solid mahogany top, all Gibson LPs use the same wood for construction. Pickups vary, but for the most part they'll all get you that crushing tone that will sustain for days and play like butter.
    MY GUITARS

Comment

Comment

they all sound pretty similar. Save for the Les Paul Studio with the solid mahogany top, all Gibson LPs use the same wood for construction. Pickups vary, but for the most part they'll all get you that crushing tone that will sustain for days and play like butter.

Even though its way out of my price range, how does a Custom compare to a Studio? And would it be better to go with an ebony or rosewood fretboard?
        Framus Cobra
        Ibanez RGT320Q
        Epiphone Lp Custom
        Genz-Benz G-Flex 4x12
        Maxon OD808
        ISP Decimator

Comment

An ebony fretboard generally gives a very, very slight increase in the brightness, but many people report that they don't hear this.

If I were in the market for another LP I would be looking at buying a LPTraditional. Ice Tea colour

It has a '57 Classic Plus pickups and a plek job on the frets as standard.

Electric: Gibson LP Classic, Fender American Deluxe Strat, Vintage AV6P

Acoustic: Yamaha APX500

Comment

I feel it's time to buy my first Gibson

Which Les Paul is going to give me the absolute thickest, most crushing tone that will sustain for days and play like butter?

Vintage Mahogay model w Duncan A2P's, or a set of '59s, depending on your idea of warm thikk tone

Gibson SG Faded (w. SD A2P's)
            60's Classic Series Tele (w. Bareknuckle Flatt '50s)
            Ibanez Artcore AG75 (w. TV Jones TV-HT's)
            Gibson LP Jr. Special (w. Phil X PX-100)
            Tokai LS92 (w. SD WLH set)
            Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
            1966 Bassman / Thunderverb 50 / block letter 5150 / Marshall Class5

Good deals with : Pepperduck, TylerDurden24, iualum, hangwire, friction, Dr.Picklebottom, dmbluesguy, Mr JinX , dhouser3 & The Riffer.

Comment

Les Paul Standard, Classic, or Custom, the first two with Rosewood boards have a little sweeter tone, IMHO.

I'd get a Studio as a last resort.
              I endorse Laura & Valve Queen tubes, you should too.Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Charvel/Jackson."I'm happy to pay my tech $40 bucks to take the Zap for me."One kick-butt deal with johnpace2 Dave Friedman of RACKSYSTEMS is a genius.After the Firebird X, i'm quite convinced Henry Juszkiewicz is crazy.Member of the JMP Hall of Fame.

Comment

raw power les paul. sustains forever
                Originally Posted by HanSolo

Put a 24 fret neck on a Les Paul with a Jack Bauer signature and call it ... "the 24". Yeah baby.

Comment

Yeah, avoid the studio & make sure it's got a bound neck - the binding brings neck comfort to another level...!!!!

Go & try some!
                  Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

If new, a Traditional. Just make sure you like the 50s neck. The Traditional is not chambered like the new standard. If used, get a early 90s Standard or Custom. I have had a few 80s and played a few 70s models. The 90s are more consistent, although if you find a good early 80s model they can be sweet.

Comment

^^^

Good point there from 996.

The 2 neck profiles that Gibson use are very different.

You would need to try out both the 50's 'thick' neck and the 60's 'slim taper' neck and see what one suits you best.

Personally I prefer the 60's slim taper neck, but it's all down to the individual preference.
                      Electric: Gibson LP Classic, Fender American Deluxe Strat, Vintage AV6P

Acoustic: Yamaha APX500

Comment

If it were me doing this all over again and getting my first les paul, i would do it the same way and go for a used LP Custom. they are seriously bad-ass guitars, and you can save a bunch by going used.
                        INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

I also prefer the 60s neck. Here an Iced tea Traditional for ya.

An ebony fretboard generally gives a very, very slight increase in the brightness, but many people report that they don't hear this.

If I were in the market for another LP I would be looking at buying a LPTraditional. Ice Tea colour

It has a '57 Classic Plus pickups and a plek job on the frets as standard.

Comment

lpc with maple neck and ebony fret board. my favourite combo.
                            marshall super bass
                            yamaha sg2000

Comment

the only Les Paul i'd consider is the '08 Standard.
                              The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Working...
                              X