GFS Retrotron Memphis pickups?

blingdogg

• Members

I'm curious about these GFS Retrotron Memphis humbucker pickups:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/meal2ritovij.html

Does anyone have experience with them? They're modeled after Rickenbacker toaster pickups. I'm thinking about putting them in a Les Paul copy for a different tone from the rest of my guitars. But the thing is I don't play music associated with Rickenbackers, I'm more of a classic rocker in the style of Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, the Who, etc...

With the Retrotron Memphis pickups' output under 6K, do you think they'd be too weak for rock? I think maybe I should just go with regular PAF style humbuckers, but since I have PAFs in my other guitars, I was hoping for a different sound. I just never tried a low output humbucker before...

Any experiences with low output humbuckers for rock?

• Members

"Low Output" humbuckers don't seem to bother Malcolm Young. The Filtertron family are some of the lowest output humbuckers around, and it doesn't stop folks from rockin' out with Gretsch guitars.

malcolm_young_07.jpg

But to answer your primary question, I haven't used the Memphis models yet. I do have experience with the GFS Liverpools and Nashvilles, both of which are higher output and somewhat darker than the Memphis pups. The Memphis models are the next on my list to try though! I like jangle!

• Members

You tried the Dream 180s? They get rave reviews and are supposed to be a cross b/n a Filtertron and a PAF.

I have the Dream 180 neck pup in my Ibanez Jet King and it delivers that tone as advertised. I really like it. I haven't tried the 180 bridge though.

I'll have to think about what tone I really want, but I think I'll give the GFS Memphis a shot.

• Members

I put The Memphis' in my Gretsch 5120- BIG DIFFERENCE! They sound awesome! True they arent super hot but man they sound great! I don't know how they would sound in a rik but for me they are definately full and not as tinny as the stocks that were in my Gretsch. Good Luck!:thu:

• Members

I'm really interested in the NYII Alnicos from GFS. They look like they might ape the general sound of the old Gretsch Dynasonics or Dearmond 2000s, but I'm not sure if that's the intent or not.

Guitkrazy-- so you found the Memphis Retrotrons far better than the stock Gretschbuckers on your 5120?

Could you go into a little more detail? I have 2 Gretschbucker-equipped guitars at the moment and am thinking about trying GFS in one of them.

Can't really justify TV Jones in a guitar that cost less than Jones' pups would be. From my perspective anyway.

• Members

I'm really interested in the NYII Alnicos from GFS. They look like they might ape the general sound of the old Gretsch Dynasonics or Dearmond 2000s, but I'm not sure if that's the intent or not.

Guitkrazy-- so you found the Memphis Retrotrons far better than the stock Gretschbuckers on your 5120?

Could you go into a little more detail? I have 2 Gretschbucker-equipped guitars at the moment and am thinking about trying GFS in one of them.

Can't really justify TV Jones in a guitar that cost less than Jones' pups would be. From my perspective anyway.

When i got the 5120 I found the stock pickups (gretschbuckers) really weak and not at all bitey. I would have loved to throw TV Jones in but I couldn't afford it. Then somebody on the Gretsch forum suggested GFS Retrotrons. I emailed Jay at GFS telling him what I was looking for and he suggested the Memphis- (Not the Hots The regular) I put them in and it was a night and day difference! The pickups are definately hotter and IMO more full sounding. Before I got The Gretsch my main guitar was a Les Paul. THe Retrotrons are definately not as hot as the LP's but they are smooth and really good- I do not think you would be disappointed Muddslide. I love GFS I am getting ready to order more pickups from them for my PRS Santana SE!:thu:

• Members

Another Dream180 fan. They deliver as advertised. Best of both worlds.Rich Jangley cleans w/Fat crunch:thu: got 'em in an SG and a Sheraton in gold. they do Malcolm styleAC/DC rhythm . oh yeah!no prob. very dynamic tones.

• Members

Thanks for the replies everyone. I contacted Jay at Guitarfetish and he said for the classic rock tone I'm aiming for, the Liverpools would be better.

But...since I have the Liverpools already in another guitar I'm gonna look at something different. I think I may go for a Dream 180 bridge and a PAF of some kind in the neck position. I like the Dream 180 neck so hopefully the bridge will be cool too. Sounded good in some demos.

Archived