Old Ibanez Roadstar II questions

casey73

• Members

I needed a cheap strat style guitar to take with me on a 10 day vacation road trip. I wanted something I didn't care about damaging or getting ripped off. Yesterday I walked into a local music store and scored an old beat up looking Roadstar II for $50. It was mark low because some kid had "distressed" with a sander. The trem arm and back cover were also missing. I'd heard of Roadstars but never saw one. I felt and played solid and was made in Japan. I did some research and best I can tell according to the serial number it was made in January 86.

Last night I pulled the strings and pickguard to tighten up the loose pots and get a look at the pickups. To my surprise there is a Dimarzio DP155 in the bridge and a DP161 in the neck position. I suspect the DP161 (Steve Morse Special) was added later because I don't think those were being made in 86, and it is white, while everything else on the guitar is black.

After I got a set of 9-42 strings on, I was blown away at how well it plays!! It plays almost as nice as my Carvin Bolt. I dropped an fender trem arm in I had around and it stays in tune pretty well. I prefer a hardtail, but will leave this one as it. I believe it is the older strat style bridge but it is original.

Haven't been able to crank it yet (Sunday morning, don't want to piss off the neighbors) so I don't know how the pickups really sound yet. I like this guitar so much that I may go to the trouble of refinishing the body and buying an Ibanez whammy bar for it.

Anyone know this history of this guitar and the pickups it came with? Serial number on neck plate is A860314 and it was made in Japan. 2 humbuckers and Ibanez tremelo.

• Members

The Dimarzios are aftermarket. I have a roadster II from 86, and it had covered (full covers like EMG) passive pickups. They were pretty anemic to my ears, and have long since been replaced with aftermarket units. I don't think any of the roadster series had anything other than ibanez pickups in them from the factory.

The roadster II neck is among my all time favorites. These really are under rated guitars. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal for 50 bucks...since the pickups are worth more than that alone.

• Members

I love Roadstar IIs. I have two... and 83 and an 85. I don't think many of them came with Dimarzios though. Some of the pickups are great. The Super 70s and Super 58s are both fine pickups.

By the way, EVERY Roadstar is worth $50. :thu:

And we need pics, man!

P1060322a1.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I was looking around on Ebay and the DP155 is selling for $50 - 60 used. I've got a cheap humbucker and may drop in and sell the DP155 to cover my cost for the guitar. DP161 doesn't look real popular, especially in white.

• Members

Wow, that is nice!

And a hardtail at that, very cool.

Why'dyagetridofit?

Sold it 1 1/2 years ago when I needed to get rid of a few guitars (space & money issue).

I also sold this, a very rare Axstar by Ibanez...

01.jpg

Was in pretty bad shape though and the trem arm was missing, couldn't find a replacement.

I still have an old Blazer which needs a little TLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived