Gibson Les Paul Heirarchy?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Les Paul Heirarchy?

Ok...

It may be a dumb question but I do not know the answer and I cannot find it anywhere...

here it is:

what is the heirarchy with Gibson Les Pauls?

Maybe:

Studio
    Classic
    Traditional
    Standard
    Supreme
    Custom

is that alright?

my friend tells me that the top of the line of the Gibson LP are the Supremes, not the customs, and that traditional and classics are "better" than standards...

So, I do not know.... anybody...

Thanks in advance

ps. I am asking because my friend has a beautiful Supreme and he says that his is the top of the chain in LPs, but I am telling that the top of the chain are the Customs....
    Originally Posted by VÃ****ctor

..Si te separas, espero que no, avÃ****same podÃ****amos vivir juntos, eso si, sin mariconeo...

Originally Posted by artiem

The truest indicator of one's character is how he acts when there are no consequences.

SPAM: FT/FS

I would place the Standard after the Studio, but I'm no Gibson expert.
    -- Rainer

My Guitars (Updated 2011/07/02) • Schecter Society • Yamaholic • Reverend Congregation
    G&L Militia • Captain in the SG Army in Rock 'N' Roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia
    Beware of my Teutonic Terror

Comment

i always thought that it went supreme > custom

although i like the custom a lot better. i wouldn't trade mine for anything

Comment

...and that traditional and classics are "better" than standards...

Indeed better should be in quotes.
        I remember playing a Standard, Custom, and Studio Plus. The Studio Plus was the nicest in terms of sound and feel, and it was the cheapest.

Comment

ps. I am asking because my friend has a beautiful Supreme and he says that his is the top of the chain in LPs, but I am telling that the top of the chain are the Customs....

I don't like that ugly crap they put on Supreme headstocks.

Where do all the R-4s, R-8s and so forth fall in this analysis?
          Good deals with: "georgestrings," "Radiohead, lol," "Dr. Scottie C," "sonaboy," "elliseye," "FckStick Jones," "Outlier," "Polk Salad." "lowbrow," "rindgecore," "rparchen," "archer28," "dangolguitartec," "Mr. Goodbomb," "pinchegordo," "xopyc," "tincob," "waveman," "blueshawk1," "JoshuaTSP," "SPONGEBOB," "clarksean," "xtchc1978," "panoramic," "jimmyjameb0," "gschmittling," "C1993," "LUVSWATCH," "Markus RN," "imarks."

Comment

Indeed better should be in quotes.
            I remember playing a Standard, Custom, and Studio Plus. The Studio Plus was the nicest in terms of sound and feel, and it was the cheapest.

Agree...

but still, the question remains...

Is there a hierarchy?

if supremes are "better", why customs come with COA?

I do not know...

(inside me, I want customs to be the top of the line, because I have one!)

..Si te separas, espero que no, avÃ****same podÃ****amos vivir juntos, eso si, sin mariconeo...

The truest indicator of one's character is how he acts when there are no consequences.

Comment

Also, you left off the Special and Junior, workingman guitars that RAWK without all that bloody awful flash bling-bling.
              Good deals with: "georgestrings," "Radiohead, lol," "Dr. Scottie C," "sonaboy," "elliseye," "FckStick Jones," "Outlier," "Polk Salad." "lowbrow," "rindgecore," "rparchen," "archer28," "dangolguitartec," "Mr. Goodbomb," "pinchegordo," "xopyc," "tincob," "waveman," "blueshawk1," "JoshuaTSP," "SPONGEBOB," "clarksean," "xtchc1978," "panoramic," "jimmyjameb0," "gschmittling," "C1993," "LUVSWATCH," "Markus RN," "imarks."

Comment

Also, you left off the Special and Junior, workingman guitars that RAWK without all that bloody awful flash bling-bling.

Well, where would you put them in the list?

Comment

Agree...

but still, the question remains...

Is there a hierarchy?

if supremes are "better", why customs come with COA?

I do not know...

(inside me, I want customs to be the top of the line, because I have one!)

Any Custom Shop Gibson should come with a COA regardless of whether it is 'better' than a non-Custom Shop Gibson or not.

If the Supreme was not a Custom Shop model, then it won't come with a COA. Up until about 2003 the Customs were standard production models that were not made in the Custom Shop and had no COA.

As to whether the Custom or Supreme is 'better', I'd say that is personal preference more than anything else...

Comment

Ok, I will like to clarify something...

I am not trying to discuss which guitar is better... I totally understand that is a personal preference...

What I am trying to understand is which guitar is top of the line...

I know that there are RI and VOS, BUT, if we understand why the melody makers are cheaper than the studio, and studio < standard, and so on, because of quality of wood, hardware, craftmanship, etc... what is the hierarchy with rest?

Thanks!

Comment

Special
                      Faded
                      Studio
                      Classic
                      Traditional
                      Standard
                      Supreme
                      Custom
                      Class 5
                      Reissues

Comment

Special
                        Faded
                        Studio
                        Classic
                        Traditional
                        Standard
                        Supreme
                        Custom
                        Class 5
                        Reissues

Pretty nice!!!

which one are the class 5? where did you get this info?

Thanks!

Comment

I have never seen a more pointless exercise in my life.

Comment

You might as well simply look at the list price and see what that says (whether or not it really means anything). What would be even more interesting would to place all kinds of models, sig LP's, etc. and see what people think. As to why a model is priced the way it is, that's no simple thing to figure out. The signatures, for example, probably include the cost of the endorsement which is worth nothing when you think of it. My Gary Moore sig LP was roughly the same price as a standard when it came out. And it is basically a standard with no binding either on neck or body. That should have been a saving for the buyer but it wasn't. The saving was for Gibson. Or did Gary Moore get something for his name on the trussrod cover?
                            __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

Ok...

It may be a dumb question but I do not know the answer and I cannot find it anywhere...

here it is:

what is the heirarchy with Gibson Les Pauls?

Maybe:

Studio
                              Classic
                              Traditional
                              Standard
                              Supreme
                              Custom

is that alright?

my friend tells me that the top of the line of the Gibson LP are the Supremes, not the customs, and that traditional and classics are "better" than standards...

So, I do not know.... anybody...

Thanks in advance

That may be the ranking by price, but with the exception of the studio, they're pretty much different flavors of the same thing. I wouldn't say price is an indication of quality though. Of all those I think the Traditional is the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X